Crime levels

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Is the area around sydenham station safe?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 7

bigpies

Crime levels

Post by bigpies »

Hi everyone, i've just joined this forum as i'm trying to get some information about living in sydenham, I would like it very much if someone could tell me quickly what the area is like, mainly crime wise, i've tried to have a look around on the internet but not come up with much information.
Thanks in advance,
bigpies
sarahc

Crime Levels

Post by sarahc »

Hi, I have lived in Sydenham all my life apart from a 2 year stint in Enfield, and I would say it is relatively safe. Yes we have crime, but no more probably than any other London town. No station is 100% safe but at least Sydenham station comes out right onto the high street, where as Lower Sydenham chucks out into an industrial estate. There are rumours of 'hoodies' hanging around. I've never seen them. My husband uses the station day and night and admittedly he can get a bit jittery (he will kill me for saying that) - but he's the type that thinks everyone is dodgy! I love Sydenham - most of the people here are lovely. Do people realise that we have musicians from nearly every orchestra living in Sydenham? My neighbour and good friend works for The Royal Philamonic Orchestra and says Sydenham is full of them. Can't be that bad then a?! :lol:
Nigel

Crime in Sydenham

Post by Nigel »

I am not sure that yes/no debates about public safety get us very far.
I suspect that the truth is that there is more violent crime in Sydenham than there was 5 years ago and low-level disorder has increased along with
litter and general decline of the high street .

My point would be that the police, and this forum, should do more to advise the public. The recent "incident" (in the end the quotation marks were not needed as the incident was quite real) is an example. There clearly was a serious assault and I think it is the role of the police/town centre manager/ this forum to make us all aware. In this way we might avoid panic but at the same time get a clearer picture of what kind of risk there is, from whom and to whom.

Anything that encourages more reporting of crime and disorder will help reduce. It also makes for a safer nicer place to live.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Personally, I would suspect that there is no more volent crime in Sydenham, than there was 20 years ago. I certainly have not found it to be any worse.

We live in London, which, being at the 'sharp end' of the 21st century, attracts the best, and the worst, of people.

I'm sure I read that the incident (on the yellow police board) occured at four o'clock in the morning, a time at which there are not too many people about. It does not seem to be the sort of time when someone 'plans' an assault, but more like the time when the parties involved have had too much to drink, or are otherwise intoxicated.

How on earth can this forum 'advise' the public ? Use common sense, for goodness sake, and stop being so paranoid.
bigpies

Post by bigpies »

Well thank you for all the quick comments, I was trying to get a general feel for the area, which i have found hard to do by any other means, so your responses are much appreciated, pies.
JR

Crime in Sydenham

Post by JR »

Hiya,

Unfortunately you have probably got just half the picture.

The police serving Sydenham are part of the Metropolitan Police Service. And that is the problem. We all know the police can be vrey racist themselves.....And as for the C word (Corruption) that is a word which the Met like to avoid.

So to look at the crime in this area, also look at those corrupt coppers funded by you - The taxpayer
admin
Site Admin

Re: Crime in Sydenham

Post by admin »

JR wrote:We all know the police can be vrey racist themselves.....And as for the C word (Corruption) that is a word which the Met like to avoid.
Sorry JR - I think you are crossing the threshold of breaking your promise not to be abusive in this forum. Yes, some police are racist - but to brand the whole lot the same way is factually wrong and can be seen as a slur on those within seeking reform within the service.

I'm not defending the police - there will be an article on the frontpage this morning about corruption in the Catford police. This is a place for considered serious discussion. If you feel I have over reacted you are free to discuss the publishing guidelines within the Town asylum.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Crime in Sydenham

Post by admin »

Nigel wrote:I think it is the role of the police/town centre manager/ this forum to make us all aware. In this way we might avoid panic but at the same time get a clearer picture of what kind of risk there is, from whom and to whom.
I agree there is an issue over objective crime statistics for Sydenham. If I could get them I would certainly publish them. I did pursue the recent incident reports to find they had been mostly mistaken and reported it here.

You might also want to checkout the crime report at a recent community meeting which claims Lewisham is London's second safest borough (and Sydenham is probably one of the safer parts of Lewisham) - here: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/community_forum.html

My personal experience is that crime in Sydenham is less than a decade ago. But other people's experience may be different.

And can I remind everybody interested in crime in SE26 about tomorrow night's meeting at the Narborhood Centre (see frontpage). Whatever we think about the police in Sydenham we can never accuse them of lack participation and involvement in community meetings. See you there!

Admin
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I'm often returning home on my own late in the evening from the station and in the two years I have lived here have never felt threatened or intimidated.

There are usually lots of people around getting off any trains, and there are numerous shops etc open late on the high street and up Kirkdale which means people are coming and going - makes it feel safer.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have put a report of last night's Safer Neighbourhoods meeting at the Narborhood Centre. Please feel free to correct or add stuff here. Report is at: http://www.sydenham.org.uk/safer_neighbourhoods.html

Admin
Cod

Post by Cod »

I work a random shift pattern and travel to work by train, from Sydenham Station. In over 14 months, I have yet to feel threatened or scared - the station and surroundings are well lit and a fairly busy area.

However, one thing to watch is the terribly badly-placed zebra crossing on the station bridge - I have had to jump out of the road countless times during the same period of time.