Ideas for Christmas day

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Syddders

Ideas for Christmas day

Post by Syddders »

We’re not visiting or hosting our extended family this Christmas and wondered if there were any local charities or churches that either needed volunteers, or might know some elderly/lonely people who we could invite to ours for lunch. Any ideas?
simon

Re: Ideas for Christmas day

Post by simon »

Here for Good (Forest Hill Community Church) used to host a Christmas Lunch for the homeless on the day. They could perhaps do with some help.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Try Voluntary Services Lewisham (https://vslonline.org.uk/). They will know what the opportunities are. Churches Together in Sydenham and Forest Hill usually organise a Christmas Day lunch for elderly, frail and isolated people, which VSL are very much involved with.
Syddders

Post by Syddders »

Thanks both
alywin

Post by alywin »

I think Holy Trinity Lennard Road used to host a Christmas meal - not sure if they still do.

BTW, if you want to get involved on a longer-term basis, I believe the Penge Homeless Shelter will be operational in the New Year.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I was also going to suggest that Churches Together in Beckenham covers the "other side of the tracks", but in fact I can't see any indication of any coverage any further into London than Penge Congregationalists. I wonder what all the other churches the other side of Croydon Road (Penge) do?