Where do people dispose of their lightbulbs?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
monkeyarms

Where do people dispose of their lightbulbs?

Post by monkeyarms »

The only local place I'm aware of is Churchfields Rd recycling centre in Penge. Is that really literally the only place anyone can dispose of lightbulbs? Where do other people put theirs?
Any local shops? I know Sainsbury's do batteries, but pretty sure they don't do lightbulbs.
f4monty

Re: Where do people dispose of their lightbulbs?

Post by f4monty »

RecoLight have low energy light bulb recycling points but round our neck of the woods they're only at the main council recycling centres, which is absolutely no use at all for those of us who don't drive. Shops are more than happy to sell us this stuff but not to do their bit and collect it. No wonder they end up going in with the rest of the black bin waste...
alywin

Post by alywin »

monkeyarms wrote: 26 Jan 2020 10:30 The only local place I'm aware of is Churchfields Rd recycling centre in Penge.
Which is Bromley Borough, and you technically need a resident's permit to use it. Bromley now have a collection for small electrical items, which includes the new-fangled bulbs which you aren't allowed to throw away in the waste. Does Lewisham not do anything similar? (Actually, given previous discussions on Lewisham vs. Bromley recycling here, quite conceivably not :( )

This link might help: https://www.easy-lightbulbs.com/lightin ... -disposal/
stuart

Post by stuart »

alywin wrote: 27 Jan 2020 23:05Does Lewisham not do anything similar? (Actually, given previous discussions on Lewisham vs. Bromley recycling here, quite conceivably not :( )
Lewisham's Deptford Recycling Centre does - we dump ours there - but it's a long journey, even longer without a car. It's absolute madness and environmentally unsound that we can no longer use the Lambeth dump and residents of both boroughs have to travel to the extremities of their boroughs rather than the nearest which is usually much nearer. They really should be put back under London rather than borough control.

Parochialism gone mad!

Stuart
alywin

Post by alywin »

Is Lewisham still doing house-to-house recycling collections (Bromley isn't)? I was walking along Byne Road today and noticed people still putting their recycling out as normal. I couldn't tell whether they were in the Bromley or Lewisham part of the road, so wondered if Lewisham hadn't given it up yet.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

So far Lewisham have not missed a single uplift of all our bin types including garden waste.

For future reference and in normal times, recycling can also be taken to the Bromley site at Churchfield Road which is not too far distant with a car - as Lewisham residents there may be a small fee and/or just show an official document that proves you are a Lewisham resident - like your poll tax bill.

Unfortunately Bromley has announced that Waldo Road and Churchfields Road Recycling Centres are closed following government advice.

You can view their webcam https://www.bromley.gov.uk/homepage/179 ... eb_cameras before you leave to check for queues. I checked this morning, it definitely looks closed.

Normal Opening Hours - domestic waste and recycling
Monday to Friday 7am to 5:30pm
Saturday 7:30 am to 4pm
Sunday 8am to 1pm
Good Friday and bank holidays 8am to 4pm

The centre is closed on 25 and 26 December and 1 January.

The Address is:

Churchfields Road, Beckenham, BR3 4QY
IsraelMartinez

Post by IsraelMartinez »

Lewisham's Deptford Recycling Centre does it
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

In News Shopper on 2 May, 2020.
Bromley is to become the first London borough to reopen its tips since lockdown.

A booking system for both household waste and recycling centres will be trialled from Monday, restricting visits to appointment only, with stringent social distancing measures to be enforced.

Without a slot and possession of a valid council waste pass, residents will be refused entry to Churchfields or Waldo Road should they turn up.
It would appear any existing arrangements for cross-boundary access to these waste and recycling centres is still on hold - it would appear Lewisham residents are not permitted to use them.
Bromley Council on their website wrote:Only residents of London Borough of Bromley can visit the reuse and recycling centres at Waldo Road and Churchfields Road.

https://bookings.bromley.gov.uk/Generic ... 22812c6def
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1842 ... -lockdown/
alywin

Post by alywin »

JGD wrote: 3 May 2020 15:54
Bromley Council on their website wrote:Only residents of London Borough of Bromley can visit the reuse and recycling centres at Waldo Road and Churchfields Road.
Or, more accurately, anyone holding a Borough resident's pass. In my case, I think mine was issued in about 2000 and hasn't been updated since, so if I'd moved out of the Borough I could still use its tips. But that's Bromley's choice, although it's just asking to be abused.
JGD

Post by JGD »

The link provided was part of a registration process which in turn lead to the applicant being able to make an appointment to attend one of the sites and dispose of waste.

It would be interesting to know if the resident's pass would be adequate to enable you to acquire the prerequisite appointment.

Good luck.
JGD

Post by JGD »

Just viewed Bromley's webcam at Churchfields Road - and there appears to be zero traffic there.

Has anyone succeeded in getting one of the prerequisite appointments, particularly if you are not a Bromley resident ?

Been reshuffling the corners of the garden shed and the garage - and there is always something that can be disposed of.