Social distancing on the High Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

Social distancing on the High Road

Post by alywin »

Not sure which forum this best goes in, and I thought we had a thread complaining about this already, but I can't find it, so am starting a new one. Admins, please do merge it if necessary.

I braved the high street in Sydenham for the first time today (I've been going to Penge as more convenient, and had tried heading Sydenham-wards a couple of times, only to be put off by the number of people I could see walking up and down at the end of the road), and was appalled to see a) it was just as busy as in normal times, and b) most people seemed not to be remotely aware of social distancing measures - and most of those who weren't keeping their distance weren't wearing face coverings either. I'd not been terribly happy at walking down Penge high street, but compared with Sydenhamites the people in Penge seem to be almost exemplary in their Covid-19 behaviour. I mean, there were people just standing around talking, about 2 feet away from each other, across the width of the pavement so that you couldn't possibly get by them at a safe distance, and others walking down the middle of the pavement, making no attempt to step to one side if someone came up in the opposite direction. Not to mention the risk of getting "trapped" in shops by people turning up at the ends of the aisle while you're halfway down. And what on earth was that "queue" outside the shop selling hair products and cosmetics, which I would have thought are hardly "essential" products?!

I think it'll be a while yet before I'm comfortable shopping in Sydenham again.
The Clown

Re: Social distancing on the High Road

Post by The Clown »

That’s really quite worrying to hear.
What makes people so thoroughly ignorant and inconsiderate?
Thank you for sharing, I shall also continue to avoid until I hear better reports
El Cid

Post by El Cid »

This hasn't been my experience in Sydenham High Street. Sure, you'll always get the odd person being inconsiderate or flouting the social distancing rules, but, overall, I've found the vast majority of people behaving responsibly. I've also been to the high street in Penge recently and, to be honest, I didn't notice anything different to Sydenham.

While we're on the subject of the high street, I'd just like to praise the staff at Tesco and the small Sainsbury's. Throughout this crisis, they have been so helpful and cheerful. Most of us might have taken them for granted before - and the delivery drivers and all those invisible people working in warehouses - , but we can see just what a vital role they all play in keeping the country running and making sure we have food and all those other items we rely on. They are indeed key workers.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

If anyone comes too close to me, I hold my breath for a moment. Should work, shouldn't it?
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Good to hear a more positive perspective.
I did actually walk down today (to walk through to Mayo) and most people seemed conscious / wearing masks and keeping their distance
Sydenham Syd

Post by Sydenham Syd »

I haven’t noticed any difference between Penge and Sydenham. Also haven’t noticed that people are oblivious in Sydenham to it! Seems to me people are avoiding each other in a sensible manner.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

It's busier nearer Tescos. Partly because there are two chemists there (hence queues), right by bus stops (a few stationary people waiting for bus) and individual smaller shops (hence other queues). Further down towards Bell Green it's much more sparse, as is the Cobbs Corner end.
alywin

Post by alywin »

I have to correct myself: the "stupid people" all seemed to have transferred to Penge, and particularly to Lidl, today. I went in there in an attempt to buy some groceries, and lasted all of a minute or two before I decided that the behaviour of my co-shoppers was far too risky for me to stay there.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I have found Sydenham and Penge similar really. A few people who seem singularly unaware but the majority being sensible. I do cross the road a few times if necessary when there are queues. I also turn off by the Nat West and go down the parallel road to Mayow Rd (and same when walking up) to avoid unnecessary time on the High St. But overall ok

I agree re the small Sainsburys and Tesco being helpful ...and would also add how great Billings, Fresh and Fruity and the Village Store have been throughout this lockdown!! The newsagents next to Village Store is also helpful, friendly and cheerful, which is nice to see.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

alywin wrote: 1 May 2020 17:37 Not sure which forum this best goes in, and I thought we had a thread complaining about this already, but I can't find it, so am starting a new one. Admins, please do merge it if necessary.

I braved the high street in Sydenham for the first time today (I've been going to Penge as more convenient, and had tried heading Sydenham-wards a couple of times, only to be put off by the number of people I could see walking up and down at the end of the road), and was appalled to see a) it was just as busy as in normal times, and b) most people seemed not to be remotely aware of social distancing measures - and most of those who weren't keeping their distance weren't wearing face coverings either. I'd not been terribly happy at walking down Penge high street, but compared with Sydenhamites the people in Penge seem to be almost exemplary in their Covid-19 behaviour. I mean, there were people just standing around talking, about 2 feet away from each other, across the width of the pavement so that you couldn't possibly get by them at a safe distance, and others walking down the middle of the pavement, making no attempt to step to one side if someone came up in the opposite direction. Not to mention the risk of getting "trapped" in shops by people turning up at the ends of the aisle while you're halfway down. And what on earth was that "queue" outside the shop selling hair products and cosmetics, which I would have thought are hardly "essential" products?!

I think it'll be a while yet before I'm comfortable shopping in Sydenham again.
I have to say I agree with your experience Alywin. In the beginning going for our allocated 'exercise', we would venture down Sydenham High Street, but it seemed just like an ordinary weekend day with people all over the place! We soon knocked that on the head and now venture up past Kirkdale and out and about that way. To some degree it is not helped by the queueing going on. Outside Tesco's, all the chemists, Superdrugs and the PFC and the post office. Some of these queues spanned the whole pavement so you either chance it and go through (thereby not upholding the 2 metre rule, or walk in the road and risk being knocked over by a car!).

I'd like also to give a shout out to our Sainsburys Local on the corner of Spring Hill - A great little shop with really lovely staff.

We are also very lucky in Sydenham to have the added bonus of some beautiful and well kept parks and green spaces. None of which have been closed during the pandemic allowing locals to exercise and walk through at their convenience.
alywin

Post by alywin »

On the bus today - although admittedly in Penge - a woman standing in the set of 2 seats to the immediate left of the former "exit" door and facing rearwards, thereby allowing her to breathe on everyone leaving or entering the bus. Really nice :( Not to mention that she was totally preventing anyone from keeping to social distancing guidelines.
spacecadet

Post by spacecadet »

I'm going to avoid that area like the plague.

Oh-er!

:D
f4monty

Post by f4monty »

There are some people who just won’t respect the rules. On the other hand pavements are too narrow in many places, which is the problem when our towns and cities are given over to cars and pollution...
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

This is why masks are important. In life there will inevitably be moments in which you are less than 2m distance from someone. A facial barrier reduces risk of transmission; and to a lesser extent reduces risk of reception. Ergo if two people are wearing a facial barrier and pass at, say 1m or 0.5m distance there is very little chance of infection even if one were contagious.
Last edited by monkeyarms on 15 May 2020 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

In fairness, I think most people try very hard to observe the minimum distance.

It is a moving feast though - literally and figuratively.

Not everyone can be an instant expert on maintaining the separation either when standing on a bus, a train , in a shop or simply when walking. We all observe one another and hopefully learn a little as we go along.

Mistakes will be made and despite obvious frustrations when people are perceived to have got it wrong, perhaps we need to cut them a little slack.

No-one has yet published the definitive Idiots' Guide on the subject - any manual writers/graphics people out here willing to take that one on?

Something with a light touch and a little humour perhaps will help best.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

Temporary measures to reallocate roadspace to allow for widened pavements are required all over the Borough. Sydenham High St should be high on the list given the footfall with the station etc.

Unless you provide the right infrastructure and good guidance it is very unfair to criticise individuals for non compliance with the rules.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Social distancing has suddenly got a lot harder again I find. The high st and mayow park both pretty busy.
alywin

Post by alywin »

vbsydenham wrote: 15 May 2020 13:12Unless you provide the right infrastructure and good guidance it is very unfair to criticise individuals for non compliance with the rules.
The guidance is there: "stay 2 metres apart from other people" - difficult to believe the message hasn't got through after a couple of months, given that it seems to be on most shop fronts. And the high street at that point was wide enough to allow you to do it - it just involves people paying attention to people around them and NOT obliviously standing in the middle of the pavement having a chat.
vbsydenham

Post by vbsydenham »

alywin wrote: 19 May 2020 23:01 The guidance is there: "stay 2 metres apart from other people" - difficult to believe the message hasn't got through after a couple of months, given that it seems to be on most shop fronts. And the high street at that point was wide enough to allow you to do it - it just involves people paying attention to people around them and NOT obliviously standing in the middle of the pavement having a chat.
It's not a very robust system if all it takes is a small error from one person for it to fall apart. Rather than blaming individuals we should be creating environments that support our needs. Physical distancing is going to be with us for a long time to come.
syd

Post by syd »

Hi all, the lockdown worked so well some people think the pandemic is over. The traffic and people outside my home on Friday and yesterday was quite shocking and not one mask.

It’s not the flu it’s more like airborne HIV and there is no guarantee of immunity as there are 3 distinct mutations.
There will be a 2nd wave like all recorded pandemics and it feels like complacency will help it spread in the next few weeks, I hope I’m wrong and overacting but if I’ve been right since January.