Masks

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
syd

Masks

Post by syd »

Hi all I hope you’re all doing well. I went out in a mask not far from home I haven’t been out for ages and I got some weird looks. Is anyone else wearing a mask? I wonder how many more people have to die before this is taken seriously?

Syd
monkeyarms

Re: Masks

Post by monkeyarms »

It’s crazy that more people aren’t wearing facial barriers. There are so many more people out and about now- clearly the combination of Johnson’s recent statements and good weather are having an effect. Lots of people clearly breaking rules and hanging out with their mates. All the more reason to wear a mask. Brits based in other countries can’t understand the uk’s attitude to not wearing masks.

If people are starting at you for wearing a mask then they are uninformed
syd

Post by syd »

monkeyarms wrote: 17 May 2020 15:02 It’s crazy that more people aren’t wearing facial barriers. There are so many more people out and about now- clearly the combination of Johnson’s recent statements and good weather are having an effect. Lots of people clearly breaking rules and hanging out with their mates. All the more reason to wear a mask. Brits based in other countries can’t understand the uk’s attitude to not wearing masks.

If people are starting at you for wearing a mask then they are uninformed
. My worry is living on a main road means if there is a 2nd larger wave which historically has always happened there will be little chance That I won’t get it unless I seal my front door and never open my windows. C19 is airborne and apparently travels on pollutants so as traffic picks up it will spread. We’re doomed !!
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

I ordered some from Amazon to wear. I shop for my 70 year old diabetic mother, so it was important to me to not catch nor pass on anything.. whilst they may not be 100% I feel I am doing all I can.

As more people go back to work, the likelyhood of infection rising again seemed viable, so getting some masks made sense.
syd

Post by syd »

Parker1970 wrote: 17 May 2020 16:28 I ordered some from Amazon to wear. I shop for my 70 year old diabetic mother, so it was important to me to not catch nor pass on anything.. whilst they may not be 100% I feel I am doing all I can.

As more people go back to work, the likelyhood of infection rising again seemed viable, so getting some masks made sense.
Good move.

I’ve decided to do a massive shop now I reckon in 2-3 weeks after the next bank holiday there will be the 2nd wave so my plan is to lock down until July or August. I think the govt will also do a full lock down mid June but it maybe too late.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If you are buying masks, please have a look on Etsy. There are a lot of home sewers diverting their small businesses from making other textiles to producing masks. Worth supporting, IMO. I have bought several cotton and linen masks from different sellers on Etsy and they’ve all been great. Have at least two so you can have one to wear, one in the wash.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I think face coverings should be mandatory on public transport and in confined spaces but not necessarily outdoors. Other European countries are providing masks for people using public transport. Advice from the WHO website states "Currently there is not enough evidence for or against the use of masks (medical or other) for healthy individuals in the wider community. WHO continues to recommend that medical masks be worn by individuals who are sick or those caring for them. WHO is actively studying the rapidly evolving science on masks and continuously updates its guidance".
syd

Post by syd »

Rachael wrote: 18 May 2020 07:47 If you are buying masks, please have a look on Etsy. There are a lot of home sewers diverting their small businesses from making other textiles to producing masks. Worth supporting, IMO. I have bought several cotton and linen masks from different sellers on Etsy and they’ve all been great. Have at least two so you can have one to wear, one in the wash.
. Hey thanks for the Esty tip they are some really nice linen ones at a reasonable price
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

We're not going out that much but when we do we're putting our masks on when we're out on the high street and also inside shops. Taking them off when we get to to Mayow Park, seems silly given the amount of space between everyone.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Face coverings to be mandatory on public transport from June 15th. At last!
alywin

Post by alywin »

About time, since it seems that barely anyone is paying attention to the requirement.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

monkeyarms wrote: 24 May 2020 14:00 We're not going out that much but when we do we're putting our masks on when we're out on the high street and also inside shops. Taking them off when we get to to Mayow Park, seems silly given the amount of space between everyone.
Be careful how you use the mask - you shouldn’t take it off until you are somewhere where you can wash your hands. If you take it off when you get to the park, be careful not to touch anything if you can avoid it. If you are infected, the virus will transfer readily from you mask to your hands.
syd

Post by syd »

Hey all, So no one is wearing masks. Did I miss something and the pandemic is over?
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

Face Masks are mandatory on Public Transport from MONDAY, also just got an email from Uber saying the same.

They are not mandatory yet, or in other places. Wise to wear one, Yes.. but not everyone is wise :)
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Today, I had to make a journey which involves 4 buses (2 there/2 back). I duly purchased face masks for this having been told like the rest of us that this is now mandatory. I am extremely surprised and upset that the vast majority of who would be classed within "BAME" were NOT wearing face masks. In case anyone is interested this was on a 75 (ok) 160 (best) and 202 (awful).
syd

Post by syd »

I foolishly went to collect a parcel on my doorstep without my mask and there were people chitchatting as if there is no pandemic. No mask, no social distancing the lockdown worked so well no believes the risk is real.

I hope they’re right and I’m wrong As every scenario in my head says August will be hell. I hope I’m overacting
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

I was gratified to see that there was a much higher incidence of mask wearing on the High Street today, and in Lidl the compliance was 100%. This contrasts with the situation only a couple of days ago before the new regulations came into force. I feel a lot more comfortable shopping when all are wearing masks.

Regards
Chris
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I have noticed an improvement on public transport too which was good to see
Holaquease

Post by Holaquease »

Cathy wrote: 18 Jun 2020 19:47 Today, I had to make a journey which involves 4 buses (2 there/2 back). I duly purchased face masks for this having been told like the rest of us that this is now mandatory. I am extremely surprised and upset that the vast majority of who would be classed within "BAME" were NOT wearing face masks. In case anyone is interested this was on a 75 (ok) 160 (best) and 202 (awful).
Amazed nobody pulled you up on this nasty racist comment.
f4monty

Post by f4monty »

Holaquease wrote: 25 Jul 2020 23:01
Cathy wrote: 18 Jun 2020 19:47 Today, I had to make a journey which involves 4 buses (2 there/2 back). I duly purchased face masks for this having been told like the rest of us that this is now mandatory. I am extremely surprised and upset that the vast majority of who would be classed within "BAME" were NOT wearing face masks. In case anyone is interested this was on a 75 (ok) 160 (best) and 202 (awful).
Amazed nobody pulled you up on this nasty racist comment.
Yes it is racist and utter nonsense. In Sainsbury’s the other day the only ones not wearing a mask were white, other days I see people of other colours breaking the rules. Just as people of different age groups, religions, sexual persuasions etc make a decision to break the rules at various times. Cathy obviously has an agenda...