What's the circumference of Wells Park?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
monkeyarms

What's the circumference of Wells Park?

Post by monkeyarms »

From a jogging point of view it'd be interesting to know what Wells Park's rough circumference distance is, to know how many laps to do. Just wondering if any runners out there had ever noticed, by using an app say. I'm totally app-illiterate.

Incidentally Wells Park this morning felt like a much more reassuring place to be than Crystal Palace Park was last weekend - from a social distancing point of view. Far fewer people per square feet, more people casually and considerately moving out of the way. Whereas CP park was more rammed than I've ever known it. I've probably jinxed that now...
mosy

Re: What's the circumference of Wells Park?

Post by mosy »

I pulled up Google Maps to use the "measure distance" option, which you get by mouse right-clicking on the map and selecting measure distance, then clicking elsewhere. Note the distance down, close (click X on the little box), take more measurements. Adding them together will give a reasonable estimate.

However, this map seems to show a U-shaped footpath so I'm wondering if you mean that that is the running path used? If so, that's probably only half of the whole park perimeter.

I'd be happy to take measurements on the map for you if needed, if you say which bit or the whole perimeter on this map.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4303883,-0.0677166,17z
Ian Bull

Post by Ian Bull »

There's a very good and really-easy to use measuring tool online...

https://www.mappedometer.com/

Using that I obtained 0.75 miles keeping to the paths nearest to the park's periphery.
mosy

Post by mosy »

That's a handy link Ian Bull, thanks.
monkeyarms

Post by monkeyarms »

Thanks both. I thought there'd probably be something like that. It's just under a mile there from where I live so that's handy to know.