Older Persons’ Freedom Pass, 60+ Oyster photo card before 9:00am

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Older Persons’ Freedom Pass, 60+ Oyster photo card before 9:00am

Post by JGD »

Passengers using the Older Persons’ Freedom Pass, 60+ Oyster photo card or English National Concessionary Scheme will no longer be able to travel for free before 9am on weekdays. Weekends remain unchanged. This apparently will extend across all modes of transport including our local buses.

The restriction will be introduced by TfL on 15 June.

Another unintended consequence, rather perverse this time, is that anyone who qualifies for the "reserved" early morning shopping slots for the elderly at any of our food retailers will no longer be able to travel there for free by bus.

Someone, please, tell our incompetent PM to sort it out.
chrisj1948

Re: Older Persons’ Freedom Pass, 60+ Oyster photo card before 9:00am

Post by chrisj1948 »

It is supposed to be a temporary restriction, to reduce traffic volume during the morning peak period and thus facilitate social distancing.
JGD
Location: Perry Hill, SE6 (free-transferred to Perry Vale Ward, next to Bell Green; distinct from Sydenham).

Post by JGD »

Thank you - I could see the principle of what it was intended to achieve. Coupled with a politically motivated government swipe at the incumbent Mayor's travel policies.

It is incontrovertible that it blocks the most needy from using the buses at probably the only time they can or might choose to or need to use them.

I don't think it was intended to stop them getting food.

It has made it much more difficult.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Many over 60`s are still working and will now have to pay. I feel this is patronising and discriminatory.
This gives the government an excuse to get rid of it altogether.
stuart

Post by stuart »

What Boris giveth, Boris can take away. I refer to the over-60 pass to the (mostly) still working. I'm uncomfortable that their commuting is subsidised - particularly as they are likely to be at the top of their profession - whilst younger commuters probably less well paid have to pay.

That is a different case to the FreedomPass which is only available to those over retirement age. This is in recognition that most pensions are a significant step down from their previous employed pay but the ability to exploit their freedom to travel should not be reduced when the hours to use it expand.

No retired pensioner is going to risk the early morning rush hour unless they have to. The access to supermarkets as JGD points out is, however, a clear case they may need it. And going down to Sainsburys/Aldi on the 450 is quite the same as squashing up on the 176 or Overground to Central London.

As such I see the restriction on the BorisPass as quite right under the circumstances - the extension to the FreedomPass is not.

Stuart