Mice in Sydenham?!

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Not as funny as i originally thought, but nonetheless, an unusual take on the uses of mice...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9nGyPz9uT0

Ali B
jackieboo

more people

Post by jackieboo »

are putting out nuts and balls of fat , seeds etc for birds etc and they are thriving on the bits that get dropped.

Also we are being less tidy in our gardens to encourage wildlife and composting = ergo more mice!
jag

mice

Post by jag »

Where are you going to release the mice you catch in humane traps? Up the road? No wonder they're everywhere...

Mice nibbled their way into a box of cat food kept in a drawer in our kitchen. I saw one very fat mouse waddling across our patio recently, but no other recent sightings. Maybe my cat is getting the idea...
bretty

Mice

Post by bretty »

I had the same problem last summer. Mice got into the loft above my kitchen extension. Used an electronic trap. It kills them with an electric shock. Baited with peanut butter worked a treat. The trap killed all four living up there in two days. Take a look at.

http://www.ppcsupplies.co.uk/PS002

Think you'll find them on ebay also
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

We also had mice for the first time- noticed first signs about 4 weeks ago, tried humane trap and sonic plug-in, but to no effect. Woke up one night to the sound of gnawing in our bedroom and decided enough was enough, so got some snap traps- they are pretty smart mice as they completely avoided these, but still managed to make their way up to a loaf of bread which we thought was inaccessible!

My boyfriend then decided to make a cunning device for the snap traps- get a shoe-box, cut a hole in the side and make a little tunnel, and put the trap right at the end of the tunnel with something tempting in it- we caught one within 20 minutes of putting this down! (Apparently they like going through little gaps/tunnels) I did feel awful about killing it, but there didn't seem to be any other way to get rid of them- we haven't seen any sign since, although are a lot more cautious now about making sure no food is left out.

I had also read that they hate the smell of peppermint, so I bought some peppermint oil (you can get it in WellBeing on the High street), and mixed it in a spray bottle with some water. I have been spraying it around the house daily, no idea if it is working but we haven't seen signs of mice since (and it makes the house smell very pleasant!)
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

Have just found out that i have a mouse, first time in the house since i moved here in 5 years. I used to get them in my old lean too, and the traps worked ok with cheese and bacon for a bit but then they got wise, and used to be able to eat these off the trap before it would spring. Now i have them in the house i tried abit better and used pate...worked a treat..just caught one this afternoon! They are always around i suppose but it is annoying and not very ncie having them in the house. Just try and seal up all the holes i suppose, but in an old house its easier said than done. LIke the idea of the peppermint though? wonder if it really works
sophie

Post by sophie »

We've had them for the past few months as well. At first I kept thinking I was imagining things as I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I wasn't. At one point they were so brazen about pottering around the lounge and kitchen and twice I had one of them jump out at me as I disturbed it on the counter.

Mouse action has been less obvious over the past 2 months and I am hoping it is because the poison I bought is working. Have found 1 dead mouse from the poison I think but no others. We tried traps but they were too flipping canny and we only got a couple of them with them. Glue traps did nothing. I bought the poison from a pest control place in Deptford on Friendly Street. He said it is really strong and promised they would go within days. I'll get the number and put it on here if people are interested.

We haven't blocked up all the holes yet as I kind of like knowing where they are getting in and out. If I block the holes up and they are STILL around the place it will really bug me!
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

This is heartening to hear... except we have furry, tailed rodents of the slightly larger kind hanging out in the spaces between flats in the building that are scary and impossible to shift

We've got a pest control person but not getting very far
Vile. Anyone got a spare room?
BingBong

Post by BingBong »

Vile. Anyone got a spare room?[/quote]

For you or the mouse? I tried to humanely dispose of a trapped mouse once by dropping it down the lavatory: each time I lifted the lid, there it was, swimming, bedraggled, looking really put out as if to say "What the f***k". The only way to finish him off was to put loads of paper on his head so he sunk.

I know, I know, poor little Mickie Mouse, but give me a break, I was a student at the time. This was before I learned that the water board don't like us using loos as a bin. Needs must, sometimes.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

OHMYGOD :shock:

I dont think ours are flushable. When I said they were larger, I meant that they arent ...mice. *whispers* ...they are rats

Shudders

Fortunately not in my flat, but they have broken into the building
VickyMill

Post by VickyMill »

We've got them.

My parents aren't bothered by it though, however, I have started to become obsessive and quite scared about the worst possible outcome of their existence in our household (we have bad electrics etc. as it is - to have mice gnawing through them?!?!)

I'm pretty sure they exist in most households now.

And only those on benefits can get free pest control from the council...=|
pocketpip

Post by pocketpip »

We thought our mice had gone... we had no sign of them for 3 weeks, but they are back now and we can;t get rid of them! We have tried humane traps, snap traps, 2 types of poison (this may still work, we put one down a week ago, and one down yesterday). we've caught 2 in snap traps, but they seem to have caught onto those now. They seem to be feasting on the poison with no apparent effect!

Any more ideas? we can't have a cat as we are an upper floor and we wouldn't be able to let it out.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Maybe you should try borrowing someone's cat for a couple of hours, or a whole evening. I think that the mice can smell the cat after its gone and will stay away, might be worth a try at least.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

We did once have one mouse which my partner Katherine happened upon in our hallway. I think it might have been on a 'recce' for a new place to live. Anyway, the scream she emmited had the mouse turning on it's heels and running away - it's never been seen since. I guarantee you it would best any sonic alarm. I was upstairs and I thought we had an intruder or something had happened to her. Perhaps I ought to rent-her out, she has a higher-success rate of scaring the living daylights out of mice than any cats I know.

Am I pimping her? Yo mama!

Any fans of the original 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy' will tell you that Mice are indeed Aliens...(I think it was mice at least). Any HHGTTG fans out there to put me straight?
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 29 Oct 2008 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
David Bailey

Post by David Bailey »

I'll take a picture of the mice for you - for free.

Although you'll have to pay for the cost of hiring the camera. I'm really, really good, not like that rubbish spammer cameraguy.

3 enquiries? One was from his neighbour who has known him since he was a baby, his sister and his mother...bless.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Greg Whitehead wrote: Any fans of the original 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy' will tell you that Mice are indeed Aliens...(I think it was mice at least). Any HHGTTG fans out there to put me straight?

They're somewhere between aliens and deities - they created the earth.

I'm not a nerd, honest.. :lol:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

natbeuk wrote:
Greg Whitehead wrote: Any fans of the original 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy' will tell you that Mice are indeed Aliens...(I think it was mice at least). Any HHGTTG fans out there to put me straight?

They're somewhere between aliens and deities - they created the earth.

I'm not a nerd, honest.. :lol:
Thank you Natbeuk. I might watch it again (I have the original on DVD). I never did watch the more recent remake. It seemed to get bad reviews.
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

Personally I like the remake.. but then I'm an Alan Rickman fan, which might help.
boon

Post by boon »

I didn't think it was too bad, but certainly nothing special and not a patch on previous incarnations (yes, even the cheesy BBC miniseries!). The best description I heard of the movie was that it was "too slick to be funny, and too funny to be slick."
NEMO

Post by NEMO »

No no! Don't watch either the film or TV versions. Listen to the original BBC radio production. It's funnier and the pictures are better! :D