Train noise

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SIMONTREWIN

Train noise

Post by SIMONTREWIN »

We live on the railway side of Venner Road and it feels like the frequency and volume of trains on all three tracks has increased enormously. We can hardly speak in the garden now. Is anyone else feeling the same way?
alywin

Re: Train noise

Post by alywin »

All *3* tracks? Are you talking about the Southern section, the Southeastern section, or both? I must admit that I hadn't really noticed.
Pasta_P0cket

Post by Pasta_P0cket »

Frequency has definitely increased along the 3 or 4 central Brighton Mainline tracks. Potentially louder after recent track works too. I think the plan of upgrading the line and East Croydon interchange was to increase services on the London Bridge branch.
KPR

Post by KPR »

Dunno about train noise but the police helicopter is currently chasing someone round and round in circles in the middle of Sydenham…
Parker1970

Post by Parker1970 »

KPR wrote: 1 Jul 2021 19:38 Dunno about train noise but the police helicopter is currently chasing someone round and round in circles in the middle of Sydenham…
I will admit I was intrigued by what was going on, quite a few sirens at the same time so definitely chasing someone. :)
CraigSyd

Post by CraigSyd »

I live on Silverdale Rd and at some stage over the past year the noise has increased dramatically. Its the express trains. I originally thought that maybe they re-routed cargo trains. It's surprisingly loud. I think I spotted one and it looked like a normal Gatwick express train which surprised me. Maybe they've increased the speed at which they can pass through.

I'd like to find out what's changed and petition if possible. It's even ruined the serenity in Mayow park. Everyone comments on train noise. Pretty furious if I want to sell my flat which used to be quiet.

I'll ask someone at the station next time I walk past.
CraigSyd

Post by CraigSyd »

I spoke with someone working at the station today and apparently they've also been complaining to Thames link about the train noise as they can't even speak with customers at the station due to noise. Apparently the tracks need maintenance/engineering works after which it would quieten down again.

I also googled train noise in Forest Hill and there were people discussing a similar issue there. Turns out it's related to track maintenance as well

The person working at Sydenham said we should all lodge complaints with Thames link regarding excessive noise and continue to complain until they do something about it. I'm fairly certain it must be so excessive it's in breach of noise pollution regulations or something.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I'm confused here. If it is the state of the track it should effect Southern fast trains too. Or is the Electrostar better damped for sound as well as comfort?

If it's Thameslink class 700 built to a budget that is the issue I can see National Rail trying to save money/inconvenience by saying it is a stock issue not them. One that Thameslink who lease the stock from somebody else probably can't do much about. Of course the warm weather makes it all worse but roll on winter is hardly the answer.

Stuart
starlight

Post by starlight »

I live on the west side of the Sydenham to Forest Hill track, my house is approx 100 meters from the track - and currently the noise is appalling. It got worse in 2019 when Network Rail removed a lot of lineside trees and vegetation, now there is nothing to buffer the noise. The stopping trains are fine - a low rumble in the distance- but the fast trains are ridiculously noisy. This is heavy industrial noise and I think is a health hazard as I easily get decibel readings on an app on my mobile phone of well above 80 even late at night.
alywin

Post by alywin »

It's been ridiculously noisy tonight - possibly because of the still air? I don't normally notice the noise, but tonight I couldn't avoid it.
JDR

Post by JDR »

I've just moved into the area, my house backs onto the northwestern side of the rails above Sydenham station. We are adjusting to the train noise, which is quite a bit more significant and frequent than we expected. I have read elsewhere that Southern is diverting some trains from Victoria to London Bridge. Is the current frequency and number of fast trains running through irregular/more than usual? Or is this quiet and things will be noisier once (if) the Southern stopping route starts up again? Many thanks