First World War air raid?

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
simon

First World War air raid?

Post by simon »

I've just been for a look around the marvelously renovated All Saints Church and saw a WW1 memorial. At the bottom it commemorates the vicitims of an air raid in May 1918, about a dozen people five from the same family, the Denahoys. I think WW1 air raids were quite rare and I wonderd if anyone had any information on this tragic event?
bensonby

Re: First World War air raid?

Post by bensonby »

simon wrote:I've just been for a look around the marvelously renovated All Saints Church and saw a WW1 memorial. At the bottom it commemorates the vicitims of an air raid in May 1918, about a dozen people five from the same family, the Denahoys. I think WW1 air raids were quite rare and I wonderd if anyone had any information on this tragic event?
is this all saint's church in Lewisham? If memory serves there was definately a zepplin raid that hit hither green in 1917/8. It was one that had come across from central london and Hither Green was the last place that was bombed.

Have you heard of "the terror" of the first civilian raids on London during WW1. Several hundred people were killed.
regoneil

WW2 Air Raids/

Post by regoneil »

Hello Bensomby,
The victims you refer to probably were those kiled in the reputed last raid which hit Fairlawn Park on the date shown.
The church was the Parish church for that area.
Regards Reg O'Neil
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

This link has a bit more information on the victims:
http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com ... 0-may-1918

On 20 May 1918 a Gotha dropped a 100kg bomb over Lower Sydenham. Buildings were destroyed at the Sydenham Road junction with Fairlawn Park and 18 civillians and five soldiers were killed. The Lewisham Mercury of 24 May reported that "the bodies of the Delahoy family at the dairy, the dairyman, his wife and three daughters, were pulled from the wreckage".

Bensonby, this link gives a bit more information about the raid on Hither Green:
http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com ... tober-1917

All Saints, incidentally, is in Trewsbury Road.
simon

Post by simon »

Thanks for the repiles, a truly tragic event.
Was walking my dog around Fairlawn Park just this morning and it is hard to imagine that was the site of such a thing, even 80 years ago. That said, I have felt the same about WW2 bomb sites in the area.
Good to know the victims are still comemmorated.
Last edited by simon on 26 Aug 2010 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Eadefamily

Lee Green bombing

Post by Eadefamily »

My mothers cousin Edna Towers was killed in the neighbouring Lee Green when a bomb was dropped on the school there.
Mersey Mouth

Post by Mersey Mouth »

Hello there, Quite by chance whilst doing family history research I discovered a connection with this raid?
I discovered that the first husband of my wife's late grand-mother had died during WW1 many miles from his home. He lived in Mountain Ash, South Wales. At just 23 years of age I suspected a military connection, so I ordered a death certificate for details?
Outcome was I learnt that Trevor Williams was a private in the Army Service Corps, and that he died from a skull fracture & resultant brain injury.
The certificate shows that this was a result of - "From explosion of bomb thrown from enemy aircraft during air raid".
A google search led me to this site so thought I'd post details of this small human tragedy. He left behind a widow and infant child. His widow went on to marry again, with 3 more children coming from the later marriage.
Always knew about deaths in the WW2 Blitz, even in my home city of Liverpool, but deaths due to air raids during WW1 did not include the particular raid. It has certainly added to my knowledge of that period. Thank You, Bob Nolan
Mersey Mouth

Post by Mersey Mouth »

Hello again, Ferreting around about this incident has revealed that it may well have been covered by the Lewisham Mercury in the 24 May 1918 issue.
I have hit a brickwall, the newspaper archive doesn't list that paper in their collection.
So does anyone know where I might obtain a copy of the report? Thank you. Bob Nolan
RJM

Post by RJM »

Have you asked Lewisham Archives? I'd guess they would have the newspapers.
Mersey Mouth

Post by Mersey Mouth »

Hello there, Thanks for the response. Any idea how the Lewisham Archives can be reached. I'm a bit of an old duffer with tech, so all help appreciated. thanks Bob Nolan
RJM

Post by RJM »

Their contact details are here: https://lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/history/archives

I know they're currently recruiting for staff, so I don't know how well-staffed they are at the moment or how long they'll take to answer questions!