Consultation on Proposal to Close Silverdale/Bishopsthorpe Road to traffic

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

Re: Consultation on Proposal to Close Silverdale/Bishopsthorpe Road to traffic

Post by JRW »

Absolutely. I spoke to Liam Curran today, and he's going to put the contact details for comments out on twitter and local forums. This makes it more obvious if people who try to put in multiple comments, or if they live in Yorkshire.....
sophie

Post by sophie »

Is this LTN now permanent?
grumpyoldred

Post by grumpyoldred »

Many would say it was permanent when it was originally implemented.

Very good news for some, bad news for others.

The official line though not really publicised by our local representatives is that it is now subject to an Experimental Traffic Order from the 7th January 2022 and that people have 6 months to formally object but the objections will be examined by the people who put in the scheme. I wonder will this "marking your own homework" catch on in schools to improve standards. See below for the address and the official instructions but if you can be bothered there are less than 10 days.

5. The Council will in due course consider whether the provisions of the Order should be continued in force indefinitely by means of a permanent Order made under section 6 of the 1984 Act. Any person may object to or make representations regarding the making of the permanent Order for the purpose of such indefinite continuation within a period of six months beginning with the date on which the experimental Order comes into force or, if the Order is varied by a subsequent Order or modified pursuant to section 10(2) of the 1984 Act, beginning with the date on which the variation or modification or the latest variation or modification comes into force.

6. Any such objection or representation must be made in writing and all objections must specify the grounds on which they are made and must be emailed to: parkingdesign@lewisham.gov.uk or posted to Lewisham Transport Policy & Development, 5th Floor Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, London SE6 4RU, quoting reference ‘Silverdale and Bishopsthorpe Road'. Any objection may be communicated to other persons who may be affected.
grumpyoldred

Post by grumpyoldred »

Just to confuse us, what was a Road Closure, then an LTN is now a Modal filter.
Lewisham should be required to use Plain English rather than obscure words to distract us.

There is a survey now up closing on the 22nd of January about the modal filters.
https://pclengagement-hub.co.uk/en-GB/f ... er-streets

I had a look at the Modal Filter Frequently Asked Questions document which accompanies it and it says it is part of a consultation to decide on the three options, keep as is, change to camera-enforced or remove the modal filter altogether.

I filled in the survey and expected a simple question which of these three options do you agree with and instead got about 20 general statements to agree/disagree with and then a comment question about the Bishopsthorpe/Sliverdale modal filter.

You have to ask yourself why are they not prepared to ask a simple question in order to get a simple answer.
perryman

Post by perryman »

As I understand, camera enforcement would allow residents of Bishopsthorpe to have their cars registered and come and go as they like. The system would just potentially report through traffic without the permit.

But for me this option is not in the spirit of a LTN. Sure it could cut the traffic down a bit over no restrictions, which is pretty much the current system, with the pole never locked and the planters moved aside so the delivery vans/buses can get through either way. But the through traffic will just take another route through Mayow rd and perry vale. And bishopthorpers will have no incentive to leave their cars at home to make local journeys, which is the whole point of LTNs, unless some think this all a cynical bribe to the wealthier in the borough.

In practice, if there currently is no budget to maintain this no-entry junction - even to lock the pole every now and then, then unless the residents themselves plan to make a contribution to the security of their new enclave, then there will be no camera, but just some new warnings and an empty box on a pole.
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

Had a letter posted through the door this morning confirming that the physical barriers will be removed and enforcement cameras will be erected to control access through the modal filter with work starting on the 27th of September. This is for both Bishopsthorpe Rd and Silverdale.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

enforcement cameras will be erected to control access through the modal filter with work starting on the 27th of September.
Let's hope the warning signs are clear and legible otherwise there will be lots of unhappy and "out of pocket" motorists. In reality the physical barriers were taken away (or driven over/destroyed) months ago.
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

Don’t all road signs in England (or perhaps the whole UK) have to follow a standardised format? I’d personally struggle to feel much sympathy for anyone passing through without paying attention.
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

Looks like the signage is going up today, a camera has appeared on the Silverdale side recently as well.
stuart

Post by stuart »

danmarwil wrote: 9 Oct 2023 09:38 Looks like the signage is going up today, a camera has appeared on the Silverdale side recently as well.
For those who have yet to pass by. One change is motorcycles are also now prohibited. But then Lewisham is having a bit of a war on the motorcyclist atm.

Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Just got a fine for driving through this money making trap.

It's very dodgy to me, yes technically correct with the signage but no indication of fines etc, I saw the barriers had been removed and had assumed the measure was removed and it had reverted back to how it was.

My responsibility I accept of course but they will make £1000's and £1000's out of this setup as you'll assume with all the cars parked and no barriers you'll be able to drive this way, plus focusing on pedestrians it will be easy to miss.

Question remains, why allow cars to drive through here if they aren't allowed, you can only infer they want to make money?
danmarwil

Post by danmarwil »

Certain vehicles will be permitted to pass through, emergency services, refuse/recycling collection etc. - which I don’t think anyone will argue is a bad idea. Others, such a privately owned cars & motorbikes are not, as it is a traffic calming/air quality measure. I see a car go through almost every time I walk past it so you won’t be in a minority.