Tonight! Gasholder site planning meeting

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRW

Tonight! Gasholder site planning meeting

Post by JRW »

Tonight is your opportunity to ask Barratt London about their application for the Bell Green gasholders site.
7.30 to 9pm at St Michael & All Angels Church, Champion Crescent

Ask them - why did they resubmit the same pig with different lipstick? They have ignored all the comments given last time by Transport for London and the Greater London Authority. Dangerous vehicle movements onsite from disabled parking, in areas with childrens' play space. Blocks up to 14 storeys. Bedrooms placed overlooking the smoking bar area at the back of the Livesey. Barratt needs to start from scratch and try again.

Hope to see you tonight,

J
RJM

Re: Tonight! Gasholder site planning meeting

Post by RJM »

What was your impression from the meeting? I couldn't go, although my OH did, and from what he told me it sounded a bit like all concerns were basically dismissed and they're probably going to carry on regardless.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Barratt were not accepting any criticism of their masterpiece, even though the feeling in the room was derision of their efforts. Critically, they didn't get support, and had quite a lot of criticism from the Councillors.

We need everyone to email their Councillors, and ask them for this particular application to be refused, and Barratts asked to start again with a new design. That would allow for the long-delayed masterplanning of Bell Green to start, and to get things moving on expanding the Sydenham Green doctors surgery.

The Councillors need to press our case, as Barratt's wildly ambitious plans for overdevelopment are actually delaying the provision of new homes.

Councillors for Sydenham Ward are:
Chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
Liam.curran@lewisham.gov.uk
Jack.lavery@lewisham.gov.uk

Councillors for Bellingham Ward are:
Rachel.Onikosi@lewisham.gov.uk
Jacq.paschoud@lewisham.org.uk

Councillors for Perry Vale are:
John.paschoud@lewisham.org.uk
Sakina.Sheikh@lewisham.gov.uk
Susan.wise@lewisham.gov.uk
RJM

Post by RJM »

It was the Barratts response I mostly heard about - glad to know the councillors are being critical. That gives me some hope!
Just John

Post by Just John »

You will be wasting your time if you contact councillors. They routinely ignore correspondence about planning issues.

My recently new neighbours applied for planning consent. They failed to consult and indeed refused point blank to discuss what they proposed.

I placed on objection on their application. It was ignored. Despite the fact that I am the only neighbour to be directly affected the tick box approach applies and there have to be numerous objections for ANY ONE of them to be taken into account.

The proposed development failed to comply with Lewisham planning rules. Nevertheless consent was given. My unscrupulous new neighbours obtained a party wall order which they had altered after the event. They build right up to my boundary. This meant I had a 8 foot high ugly brick wall in front of my dining room window. They never asked for, nor paid for, access rights.

Building Regulations were not involved. The neighbour was a surveyor and he engaged his friend to perform the rubber stamping on his behalf. This function has been privatised.

No sooner had the ugly carbunckle been completed, they put the house on the market and it has sold very quickly indeed. So they never wanted or needed the extension. They have butchered a beautiful Victorian house unnecessarily. My only satisfaction comes from knowing that the costs they incurred have eaten up most of the profit they have made and that they had to reinstate my sewer beneath their new extension. They illegally demolished it and I had to get Thames Water to intervene.

We have no planning department.

None of my councillors responded to my letters.
stuart

Post by stuart »

You are not alone in not even getting a councillor acknowledgement. Brsides being rude it is just politically inept.
JRW

Post by JRW »

I hope people will contact their councillors though, even if we suspect they may not reply. It may still have an effect behind the scenes.

The question has to be asked, is it appropriate for this politically important application to be considered during electoral purdah? The company doing the public relations / consultation for Barratt is Lowick Group, and they are heavily involved in the Labour electoral campaign.

Our councillors have been offered a meeting with Barratt. I don't believe it is acceptable for any councillor to meet Barratt / Lowick unless it is in the presence of council officers. It presents a clear conflict of interest, as well as a breach of purdah.