Constituency changes after the General Election

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
rbmartin

Constituency changes after the General Election

Post by rbmartin »

Regardless of where you live in SE26, there are changes to who your local MP will be and where they represent after the General Election in July.

For the vast majority of residents in SE26, you'll continue to be in the Lewisham West seat, which will now take on East Dulwich and lose Penge and Anerley wards in the London Borough of Bromley.

SE26 residents in the London Borough of Bromley, such as those who live at the southern end of Lawrie Park Road past Border Road, Newlands Park, Crystal Palace Park Road and Kent House Road will be in the new Beckenham and Penge seat.

SE26 residents in Upper Sydenham who live in the London Borough of Southwark (Crescent Wood Road, one half of Sydenham Hill, Woodsyre & Rock Hill) continue to be in the Dulwich and West Norwood seat.
stuart

Re: Constituency changes after the General Election

Post by stuart »

Lewisham West should stay safe Labour. So should West Dulwich & Norwood.

More interesting is which way the previous Beckenham constituency goes. It's picking up Penge/Cator Park Labour wards and the troubled Conservative MP is not standing. With the predicted swing it could switch.

Every vote there counts whatever your leanings.
JRW

Post by JRW »

Bellingham Ward extends into SE26, and the whole Ward is now moving to Lewisham East. It's a huge upheaval.
syd

Post by syd »

stuart wrote: 26 May 2024 20:04 Lewisham West should stay safe Labour. So should West Dulwich & Norwood.

More interesting is which way the previous Beckenham constituency goes. It's picking up Penge/Cator Park Labour wards and the troubled Conservative MP is not standing. With the predicted swing it could switch.

I’ll hold my nose and vote Labour. My vote will actually make a difference for the first time since Brexit!!
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

stuart wrote: 26 May 2024 20:04 Lewisham West should stay safe Labour. So should West Dulwich & Norwood.

The Lib Dems made some inroads in Beckenham at the last Bromley election, so if Tory supporting voters move the Lib Dems and Penge/Cator Park stick with Labour, it may be enough for Labour to pick it up.

Labour's candidate in Beckenham and Penge is Sue Gray's son, Liam Conlon.
alywin

Post by alywin »

rbmartin wrote: 26 May 2024 17:41 SE26 residents in the London Borough of Bromley, such as those who live at the southern end of Lawrie Park Road past Border Road, Newlands Park, Crystal Palace Park Road and Kent House Road will be in the new Beckenham and Penge seat.
Hopefully they too will get a good MP. Is there actually any difference from the old "Beckenham and Penge" seat, or have the boundaries simply been reverted to what they used to be?
Just John

Post by Just John »

syd wrote: 27 May 2024 06:39

I’ll hold my nose and vote Labour. My vote will actually make a difference for the first time since Brexit!!
I wonder if there will be any interesting additional candidates. None of the Above is leading at present.