New pub crawl

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

....and i think the tribute act at the Windmill is Madonna......
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Thomas wrote:Yes, I do remember that discussion about Six Pillars. Did you know that the pub next door is now closed for refurbishment and will reopen shortly as more of a restaurant?

Not sure about any other people, but Falkor's absence can be explained by this thread:
http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14254
That's truly a shame about Falkor. I really, really liked that man. As with Steve Grindlay he would answer every query and was exhaustive in his research to try and find out any and all information for posters (all of this for no pay of course).

It certainly reads that he got very upset. I'm think he might be a man of principle and will stick to his word? Real shame. Anyone know if he's still volunteering up at the CP museum at the weekends? I might pop up and see him and say hi if he is.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I am going to be a bit late...perhaps half 7 0 8. What time are you moving off from the GL?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

we have no strict timetable. I was going to post my mobile number on here for any latecomers, but have thought better of it. However, Bensonby, you already have my number , so just give us a call.

If anyone else is going to be a bit late, drop me a PM and I'll give you my mobile number in a reply. That way i can tell you what pub we're in.

I'll check my PM's for the last time around 5.30pm, so best to drop me a line before then

Ali B
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I'm now swinging by for a cheeky half. I'll look out for you ALIB. I'll be there at 7. Will I see you there?
scott.l.hamilton

Post by scott.l.hamilton »

I'll be there at 7... and my potential brother-in-law will be joining as well...

Me: tall, jeans, white button down shirt and black coat.

see everyone soon
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Me: Shorts, sandals and Tee. The only concession to it being Oct is a grey cardigan. :?
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Great evening and good to meet you all - sorry we didn't catch up with you all once you left the Golden Lion - especially to Bensonby to whom I owe you a pint or two in return for your hospitality. We just forgot that on a crawl you're meant to move from pub to pub.

Hope to make the next one -or at least part of it.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Scott.L.Hamilton just managed to inspire us to move on from the Golden Lion. We had a schniffter in the Dolphin, then onto the 2 halfs. The decor and layour of the 2 halfs is excellent, but alas they only had lagers on draught.
Then onto the Railway, which was going to be our last stop. But Scott made some calls to the missus and off we went to the Woodman.

I have a bag of change for some reason, but I think on the next 'do' we are all putting a tenner into the fund for starters and away we go...

Just to say we have outlined the next pub session which is going to be in November and will take place around the pubs of Upper Sydenham. Likely venues are the Talma, Windmill, Foxes, Woodman and Bricklayers.
10 minutes ago i was questioned by 3 policemen as i drunkenly walked the dog!

Good to meet some new faces (well, new to me) and perhaps someone can start a new thread on the next meeting, coz I can only remember sketchy details.

Ali B
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Can I also add that the Dulwich Woodhouse may be a starting option for this next event, depending on when the renovation works finish. It's fair to say that the DW has long been considered a flagship for the area for a considerable time, but experiences over the past 3 years have sadly seen a tragic drop in standards.
Lets hope that when it re-opens that (even if only a small bar) will still be available to the sippers of Sydenham.

Ali B
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Cheers to all those who came long last night - I've just started another thread for our next event.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A big thank you to Alib for organising this event - and the next!

And to everybody who sacrificed their evening for a session of intensive carbo-hydrate loading. I made it 3 in the Golden Lion, 1 each in the Two Half's & Railway and 2 at the Woodman. That's seven or thereabouts. I'm a bit vague as I'm usually anybody's after three.

Anybody?

Admin

BTW for those that prefer the bean to the barley - should we maybe organise a coffee bar crawl to alternate?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

was a very interesting evening - good to meet you all. Everything got a bit hazy in the Woodman....I remember a heated debate, but I' not sure what it was about now :?

It was also a very interesting long conversation at Cobbs corner admin!

Looking forward to the next one.

-----------
Yes, please continue planning the next STF social on Thomas's thread. I thought Greg's response to Nork1 deserved a whole new thread of its own. Hence it is now in Town Pub here: http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2692

Let's hope not too much glassware gets broken!

Admin