Fancy a run for good cause?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Should we follow their progress

Poll ended at 29 Jul 2006 09:33

Yeah! lets cheer em on!
100%
No way, their blisters are thier own concern.
No votes

Total votes: 1

back_ache

Fancy a run for good cause?

Post by back_ache »

Our Local hospice, St Christopher’s are looking for runners to take part in the great British 10k run on the 2nd of July to raise money for them, they'll supply bibs, tips and a party you have to supply at least 100 quid’s sponsorship.

click here for more details

Maybe it'd be fun if we could follow the volunteer’s progress or even collect sponsorship for them.
Last edited by back_ache on 31 Jan 2006 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Definitely!

I'm training to run my first marathon at the moment (which is in April) and was looking to sign up for a 10km in June/July to give myself another goal for the summer.

I also wanted to raise some money for St Christopher's after having read about it's founder recently, who sounded like an inspirational individual.

So count me in!

Anyone else?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I'll do it - and so will Mrs Fishcox.

I have never, in my life, run as far as 10k (in one go) so it should be interesting.

As we are talking about good causes, I have started another thread along side this one, which is also requiring volunteers.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I must say, thinking about it, I'm tempted too, if you would like to take part you need to contact St Christophers "community fundraiser co-ordinator" on 020 8768 4572
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I'll do it. Started running this winter, doing 3 miles runs most days .
I love it.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

stone-penge wrote:I'll do it. Started running this winter, doing 3 miles runs most days .
I love it.
It is addictive isn't it! :D
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Weeble wrote: It is addictive isn't it! :D
Yes! Once I make it out of the door. thats the hardest part!
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

Has anyone managed to get through to the "community fundraiser co-ordinator" I left a voicemail message for her last week and she still hasn't bothered to call me back!
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I rang the number and got a call back from Belinda the same day ,she emailed me a entry form straight away. She said she had 60 places for the run with 30 left.
Runners who managed to raise more then £200 would be placed in a draw to win a camcorder!
Her number is 020 8768 4573 ( you may of had the wrong number Back ache!)
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I've got though to her now, received the form and dropped it in by hand, so all being well, I'm in!

So let's do a headcount, who else is in? From people who've replayed to this thread alone there should be four :-

me
stone-penge
fishcox
mrs fishcox

I was also wondering if this website will be following our progress and perhaps have a webpage that links off to any donation pages we have?

I've set up my donation page it's http://justgiving.com/10kNeil
Last edited by back_ache on 22 Feb 2006 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

oh dear, I've just realised the date clashes with something else I've already committed to!

Really disappointed, as I fancied both the run and doing something for St Christophers.

I'll keep track on how the rest of you are getting on!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

right then.

mrs fishcox went down to st christophers this morning, and they are still after another 20 or so runners (joggers/walkers in my case).

it's not too difficult to get £100 sponsorship together, if you pester people at work, so come on, the good people of sydenham, get your old pumps out, get fit, and do something which is not only good for one of the most incredible places in the area, but is good for you too

blimey, if i can do it, anyone can.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

As I was staggering home last night the "Crystal Palace fun runners" ran past me and I wondered wether they might help fill the spare spaces.

I've done a Image and came up with

CRYSTAL PALACE FUN RUNNERS
Headquarters Crystal Palace National Sports Centre
Chairman John Thompson, 21 Ashden Walk, Tonbridge, TN10 3RJ 01732-353397
Secretary Miss Jean Murdoch, 11 Tierney Court, 2 Canning Road, Croydon, CR0 6QA 0208-656-7055

Maybe St Christophers should get in contact with them?
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

I'm still out there pounding the streets getting ready for this, how is every one else doing?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

hmmm, not so good myself. work constraints have limited my training efforts.

mrs f has done better though, and is doing two or three miles a day.

i have not pulled out of doing it though - even though i am acting as a godparent on the afternoon of the race.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Has anyone got anymore info from St Christophers? I sent off all the forms they posted to me but was expecting a race number or t shirt or sumink.
Still have nearly ran the 6 miles or so the course is:

I start from Newlands park, over the railwayline at Penge east ,into Crystal Palace park , climb to the top where the fairs are held, down past the station and around the Dinosaurs (when its open) back to newlands park, around Alexandra playing fields down Woodbastick road, Kent house road along the side of the industrial estate , along the little brook(past the flock of wild Ring-necked Parakeets!) into Cator park, around that , back to New beckenham station under the railway to Copers cope road along that and right down to lower sydenham station, back over the railway line , into the industrial estate again and turn right back up to Kent house road and back to Newlands Park.
And that's still only 9 k according to my pedometer!!!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Keep up the good work folks! Wish I was running the British 10k with you, but I'm often round pounding the streets of Sydenham and surrounds, so will probably bump into you in training (hopefully not literally!).

Sounds like a good route stone-penge. Actually that sounds like a long way - have you tried mapping it out? www.gmap-pedometer.com is excellent for this - you may find that you have been travelling further than 9km!

I have recently discovered Beckenham Place Park which is a great location for running. We are blessed with lots of little parks and green spaces round here so it is easy to put together some pleasant running routes.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Weeble wrote:Keep up the good work folks! Wish I was running the British 10k with you, but I'm often round pounding the streets of Sydenham and surrounds, so will probably bump into you in training (hopefully not literally!).

Sounds like a good route stone-penge. Actually that sounds like a long way - have you tried mapping it out? www.gmap-pedometer.com is excellent for this - you may find that you have been travelling further than 9km!

I have recently discovered Beckenham Place Park which is a great location for running. We are blessed with lots of little parks and green spaces round here so it is easy to put together some pleasant running routes.
Nice one Weeble, turns out I've been running 7.5 miles!!!!
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

stone-penge wrote:Has anyone got anymore info from St Christophers? I expecting a race number or t shirt or sumink.
I've just got my vest and number, I think I better pull my finger out and train harder!

How's everyone's sponsership going, had any donations from locals or others on the forum?
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

five days to go!