Any DIY Problems??? Can I be of Help???

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
soulfood

Post by soulfood »

Hey lemonade. Just thought I'd tell you that the matches in the wall idea worked a treat. The mirror is hanging, well... like a picture. Thanks.
lemonade

Re: hi lemonade

Post by lemonade »

SamC wrote:do you know how i can get my electricity metre slowed down. my bills are sky hi. any clues.?
Hello Samantha
I presume you mean how to legally reduce your fuel bills.
Fit energy saving lightbulbs
When using an electric kettle, don't fill more water than you need
If you have an emersion heater, turn the thermostat down to about 40 degrees max and do not switch off twice a day, allowing the water to go cold again as it takes lots to heat back up again
Turn off TV's if not watching them.
Check/invest in insulation.
These are just a few tips.
lemonade

Mirror

Post by lemonade »

soulfood wrote:Just thought I'd tell you that the matches in the wall idea worked a treat. The mirror is hanging, well... like a picture. Thanks.
You're most welcome Soulfood. I'm glad it worked for you. :D
lemonade

Re: Any DIY Problems??? Can I be of Help???

Post by lemonade »

lemonade wrote:Hello everyone,
There are so many dodgy contractors around who would think nothing of stitching unsuspecting people up for £1000's.
I have quite a broad knowledge in a good few areas....As I'm sure many of you do to.
My aim is to offer free advice for those who have any DIY problems.
I have good knowledge of electrical, telephone systems, some plumbing, flat-pack kitchen assembly, decorating, some building and ....well ask.
...If I don't know the answer and someone else does, please feel free to answer.
Go on give me a try!
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Hi Lemonade,

I live on Fairlawn Park and am trying to source the type of bricks used to build the houses. They appear golden/brown and are smaller than the modern bricks. Do you know of any suppliers nearby who can help. Cheers :roll:
kster

Post by kster »

If you have an emersion heater, turn the thermostat down to about 40 degrees max
Whilst this will save you cash on your heating bills, building regulations suggests a minimum temp of 60 degrees for your hot water. There are bugs that can breed in a water system if the temperature doesn't get to 60 degrees, which is hot enough to kill them off.
oin

Post by oin »

GLOBAL THINKER wrote:Hi Lemonade,

I live on Fairlawn Park and am trying to source the type of bricks used to build the houses. They appear golden/brown and are smaller than the modern bricks. Do you know of any suppliers nearby who can help. Cheers :roll:
In case it helps, when I was looking for bricks before I found Brick Find which offers new and reclaimed bricks. There's always Travis Perkins too Travis Perkins.

I haven't bought any yet so I can't personally recommend either.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Oin

Thanks for the recommendation

Global
lemonade

Bacteria & thermostat settings

Post by lemonade »

kster wrote:Whilst this will save you cash on your heating bills, building regulations suggests a minimum temp of 60 degrees for your hot water. There are bugs that can breed in a water system if the temperature doesn't get to 60 degrees, which is hot enough to kill them off.
Hello Yes you're quite right. 60+ degrees will kill off most bacteria. You'd probably find however, harmful bacteria will mainly grow in pipes with no/limited flow. Some bacteria including friendly can survive at much hotter temperatures though, so where do you draw the line?
I would recommend the hottest temperature to set your thermostat to would be no higher than 58 deg C as limescale tends to form at temperatures higher than that.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Hi Lemonade

Not really a DIY question but you seem the kinda guy who might know...

I've been trying to source a die (and probably a stock too) for the old imperial 3/4" steel conduit (230/400volts) Guess my trade :D

Do you know of any stockists/wholesalers in the area who might be able to help me out? More of a cosmetic reason than anything else, weighing up the cost of die versus imperial male to metric female adaptors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
lemonade

3/4" Die

Post by lemonade »

Hello Illuminance
I must admit I'm more accustomed to the plastic age. I haven't used steel conduit in many years.
If you can take your 3/4" pipe to a metal fabricators, they may be able to cut a thread or two for a drink.
I've just had a quick look on ebay under "Pipe Threading" and there are quite a few dies for sale along with various manual and automatic machines.
Battersea Market (New Covent Market) Nine Elms, is also an excellent place to pick up new and used dies, blocks, etc. They trade on Sunday mornings. Onsite parking is free.
Hope this is helpful enough for you.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Hi Lemonade,

Not sure if this is technically classed as a DIY problem - but hope you (or anyone else reading this) can advise.

I have 'Homechoice' cable TV and have recently purchased (off ebay) a video sender. This allows you watch your cable TV in a different room. Unfortunately, the cable box I have, has at the back, a scart lead socket and an internet socket and a power lead and the video sender box has male/female type leads (coxial?), therefore not compatible with each other. Is there such a thing as something to connect the 2? I have been to Comets and an electrical store to ask if there is a lead I can buy with male connector one end and scart lead the other - and they all look at me as if I am mad!! The guy in the electrical shop told me he was not interested and to see the person whom I purchased it from. So rude.

Does anyone know what I am talking about and is there such a thing??!!!

Sarah
lemonade

Convertor/Adaptor

Post by lemonade »

sarahc wrote:
Does anyone know what I am talking about and is there such a thing??!!!
Hello SarahC
No you are not mad! There is such a device. In fact there are a few main types depending on your requirements.
I need to ask if you're sure of the connections from the video sender???
Does the video sender definately have a coaxial (TV aerial) connection? If so you will need a Modulator/De-modulator.
Could it not be a set of 3 round connections, possibly one yellow, one red and one white...If so they would be "patch" connectors. The same type of connections to link up hifi amps to tuners or CD players, etc. In which case you will need a scart adaptor.
I know by now, it must be all a bit confusing. But.....
One of the best retail outlets for such products (and helpful advice) are Maplin stores. (who can be found online too w ww.maplin.co.uk) You can use their search facility for say "Scart adaptor" and see exactly what you need. If you are left even more confused, please feel free to PM me the makes of your equipment, I can look online for you and match them up for their specifications.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Lemonade,

Thanks for putting mind at ease that I am not a complete nutter!!

Right, I am looking at the bloody thing now....... The name of video sender is "DSTV Remote Control Video Sender". At the back it has 3 holes, each with name above. ANT INPUT, TO TV, TO SPLITTER. Twisty button called Fuse and power cable which says AC 240V/50Hz. It also came with a 'splitter'. Each side of splitter has 2 connections - one side says 'TO LED' - this is fitted cable with little LED light on end and next to that is Male/female type hole called 'TO SAT RECEIVER'. Other side 2 holes are called 'TO CONTROLLER' and 'TO TV'. These look like connections where a little copper wire goes. Also, came with the pack - 4 screw on metal connectors. I am sorry to sound like a typical woman who hasn't a clue (hey ladies out there reading this - don't be upset by this remark!) - but I haven't a scooby do!!

Was thinking about this blooming thing yesterday evening - the scart at the back of digi box goes into my TV, surely if I take this out and replace with Modulator/De-Modulator, I will get no sound and picture to TV from cable!!

Please don't go to too much trouble with this - I am quite happy to sling it right up the garden with temper and never see it again!! Just would be nice for daughter to watch her childish rubbish in dining room while eating dinner. Fed up with her moaning about me watching 'Deal or no deal' - marvellous show!

Regards, regards, regards!
Sarah :lol:
Illuminance

3/4" BSW

Post by Illuminance »

Hi Lemonade

Eeew, nasty plastic conduit is for alarm engineers... just kidding :)

Thanks for the reply. I had to admit defeat after lots of searching (mainly on ebay!) and went for the imperial > metric adaptor. Found lots of BSP dies but needed BS Whitworth thread. The original idea was more of a cosmetic one but maybe I was being too fussy as it's in a dark corner of a warehouse. The install now has shiny new galvanised 20mm tube next to 35 year old rusty tube.

Thanks for the Battersea Market tip, I shall pay a visit in the not too distant future.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Hi Lemonade,

Just come back from Maplins in Bromley - unfortunately the video sender I bought is incompatible with my digi box (I took the sender with me). Can't see the ebay bloke taking it back because my husband damaged the box it came in (what a plonker!). So, it has now been added to the pile of junk in my garage! Thanks for all your help anyway.

Sarah :wink:

PS Admin - have you not changed the time here? This says I posted this at 15.50 and actually did it at 16.50!!!
lemonade

DSTV Remote Control

Post by lemonade »

Hello Sarahc
OK I've found the particular model you mean. Have PM'd you the details how to find it.
You will need a Demodulator. Basically it's a unit which converts SCART to RF. The type you will require will have a SCART Plug on one end of a lead and a small box on the other. Within the small box will be an RF output. (an Aerial Socket)
You can get one of these from many large DIY outlets. They are normally found in the security section near the locks, alarms, cctv, etc. As they are sometimes used for connecting CCTV's to videos.
However you may find a good bargain on ebay.
If I see anything going, I'll let you know.
All the best.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Thank you so much - I will retrieve it from the garage!! I have checked my PM and will search for the modulator you suggested.

Sarah

8)
GemStone

INVENTION FOR KETCHUP PUMP

Post by GemStone »

HELLO LEMONADE, HELLO EVERYBODY ELSE.

I THOUGHT OF AN INVENTION FOR A PUMP TO SUCK OUT KETCHUP FROM A BOTTLE.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT?

THE WAY IT WOULD WORK IS IT WOULD BE BATTERY OPERATED AND WOULD HAVE A STRAW TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE. YOU PRESS A BUTTON AND HEY PRESTO, THE KETCHUP WILL FLOW.

WHENEVER I OPEN A NEW BOTTLE OF KETCHUP, I FIND IT DIFFICULT TO GET THE KETCHUP TO FLOW WITHOUT WHACKING THE BASE OF THE BOTTLE SEVERAL TIMES. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING WHEN IT SPLATS EVERYWHERE BUT ON THE PLATE.
JR

Tomato Ketchup

Post by JR »

Hey Gemstone

What a wacky idea!! haha!!!

Why not just get a squeezy bottle???

There are some crazy folk on here but you really take the ketchup!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: