wild green parakeet

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
lizzie

wild green parakeet

Post by lizzie »

Hello all,
I had a bright green wild parakeet on the bird feeder in my garden on Sunday. He paid a couple of visits and sat there eating seed, bold as brass, for quite some time. I know these live in flocks around Richmond etc. but has anyone else seen them in their garden in Sydenham?

He was rather beautiful but I don't know what the other garden birds think of them - there was a rather disgruntled robin which sat looking at him for a while.

Liz
charlieandpip

Post by charlieandpip »

just the one?!....

they have developed into huge flocks over the past few years - they spend alot of time on our road making a MASSIVE noise and shaking even the largest trees.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Yes, I know they exist - I was just wondering about their usage of bird feeders and whether they might scare off all the other garden birds...
simon

Post by simon »

There was a story in the meida last year, insitgated by the RSPB I think, that claimed that the parakeets were a threat to indigenous specise such as robins and owls. They used those examples as they are percieved as "cuter" than blackbirds and crows. I think that they will be having an effect on local bird populations, but give me parakeets over starlings and crows any day!
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

heheheh...more aussie imports!
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

lambchops wrote:heheheh...more aussie imports!
I told you lambchops, we're everywhere!
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

I've had them overlooking my garden from a bigger garden that backs onto mine but never using the feeders. There are loads of them in the Penge/Beckenham/Sydenham area. At the moment I'm too busy feeding the countless goldfinch and greenfinch that feed from my niger seed feeders. Cost me a fortune but they're lovely.

Odd Billie
;)
simon

Post by simon »

Sorry to dissapoint lamby and nate but I understand that the parakeets are of Tibeten origin, from the foothills of the Himalayas, which accounts for how they can stand our winters!

B juice; Greenfinches, how splendid! Never came across this little bird 'till last year when I saw one in Mayo Park. Wonderful colouring and a nice chirpy song. Your very lucky.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

there are some kicking around blackheath and greenwich which are apparently from australia, i just assumed they might be the same ones.

those tibetans will latch onto anything to try and highlight their plight!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Sorry to dissapoint lamby and nate but I understand that the parakeets are of Tibeten origin, from the foothills of the Himalayas, which accounts for how they can stand our winters!
Parakeets are noisy, aggressive, sh1t everywhere and can be found in very large numbers all over London, so very easy to confuse them with Australians. :lol:
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Cull or sterilise? And what about parakeets?

PP
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

we only shit on you at sport.

magpies are bigger over here, but less aggressive!
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

Not seen any in my garden, to be honest never had any birds use my feeder. Then the squirrels chewed through the rope holding the feeder to the tree and that was the end of my attempts at bird feeding.

Would be lovely to see parakeets tho.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i havn't seen any in sydders, but have heard them.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
They seem to live in a tree over the back from me, i live in Lawrie park gdns.
we see them all the time, but although we get many birds feeding in our garden we have only had the parakeets visit once.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

there's this bird that messes about in my gutters. it kind of reminds me of a kingfisher...but that might only be because it's blue and brown.

i've no ide awhat it is!
pip

Post by pip »

Blue and brown, sounds like a Jay, crow family I believe.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I think I saw one in Mayow park this morning, a streak of green is all I saw but I can't think what else it would be?
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Loads in Mayow Park in the afternoon - go toward the trees on the North East side of the park near the multicoloured flats. Also, the Longton side of Sydenham Wells Park harbours a load of them - parakeets - not Aussies.
newbrit

I've seen two

Post by newbrit »

The couple come to feed at my garden -ok, my wife's garden- and leave. Makes me happy to report they scare of the squirrels that eat the bird food!