Car vandalism - Second time victims

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gillyjp

Car vandalism - Second time victims

Post by gillyjp »

We went out this morning to find that some really charming low life had sprayed paint stripper all over our car. We live in Peak Hill Gardens and the only other car that was 'done' was some poor young chap's little mini that had obviously been lovingly looked after and who probably didn't have fully comprehensive insurance.

What makes these evil scum tick? Both my partner and I work in the public sector and very much chose to work and live within the community and this is what happens. This is the second time this has happended to us. About 7 to 8 years ago our last car was targeted and covered in paint stripper. We could start to feel this is not just a stroke of bad luck but something more sinsiter going on. However both times, although our car has received the lion's share of the stripper - other cars have been targetted too.

We are of the opinion that it was someone passing down Peak Hill Gardens, on their way to the train station, as the gate on the Peak Hill Garden side is now open all the time. We have noticed, not surprisingly, a great increase in people walking up and down since this gate is permanently open. Whilst it can be convenient, I am not convinced it is a safer option, it just makes Peak Hill Gardens an increasingly vulnerable
area.

Sadly, we are coming to the conculsion that maybe life would be less stressful if we moved out of Sydenham although I am reluctant to let the dregs of society get the better of us.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I know its hard but try not to see this as a personal attack.Last year I was painting my windows and saw three young (12 year old) kids walk past my car and smash the side window, they didn't stop , just smashed it and ran off laughing, they didn't see me,didn't know me , just out to try and find some excitement in their immature lifes.Im sure its the same in your case.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Dear Gillyjp
What a horrible thing - you are quite right to call them low-life! However, these things do happen everywhere, and I'm sure you aren't being targeted. We've had eggs thrown at our house - and on Saturday night white paint was poured over the lower end of Kingsthorpe Rd - a neighbour spotted people leaving a party and chucking paint over the road as a parting shot! We're now waiting for Envirocall to come and clean it up. However, re the side gate at the station - it would be a great shame if that were now to be closed again as it is incredibly useful for people with luggage, buggies etc. And I would have thought that people walking to the station are unlikely to engage in acts of vandalism on the way - a higher level of pedestrians in the road should make the area safer rather than less so.
Annabel
gillyjp

Car Vandalism

Post by gillyjp »

Thanks for your responses. Sorry if I gave the impression that it was someone using the station, what I meant to infer was that they probably escaped that way. Lets face it, people who engage in this sort of criminal damage actually have to go out armed with the chemicals or material to inflict the damage. Definitely premeditated.

However, we are trying not to take it personally. We will just get the car re-sprayed and get on with our lives. Worse things happen and it is only a car. It has just inconvenienced us for a while and cost us the excess on our insurance. We will survive.

Anyway what I wanted also to report was the nice things that have come out of this, amazingly. The neighbours that actually took the time to come out and sympathise, knock on our door and commiserate with us. I would not have put Peak Hill Gardens down as a 'community spirited' sort of road, having lived here for a number of years, but we were really touched by the concerns of our neighbours.
lemonade

Post by lemonade »

Hello Gillyjp & all others.
I could quote all of you on what you've spoken about and agree 100%.
As everyone's mentioned it's not something which should be taken personally. Though personally I'd admit if it was my car and especially as it had happened before, I think I would find it a bit more disturbing.
I have often wondered whether there's something in the water these days. Kids AND adults behave in different ways than my childhood. (and that wasn't too long ago - thanks!) My kind of youthful fun was playing knock down ginger and scrumping. Can I presume you'd agree it's laughable compared with today's culture. Unfortunately some kids prefer to vandalise bus stops, be involved with happy slapping, etc, etc.
On a happier note; Yes it's really touching when your neighbours show such kindness. Sometimes it takes an incident such as this, but it shows there is still some good old fashioned community spirit and friendship out there.
Gillyjp
I wouldn't trouble yourself too much. As for moving from Sydenham I wouldn't advise you too, unless it was really necessary. There is often a small minority of unsavoury characters in almost all neighbourhoods, just like there are many more decent people too.
Monica

car vandalism

Post by Monica »

Hi there,

This is my first posting here. I read it a lot but it was the subject of car vandalism that struck a chord. My car was parked in Princethorpe Road the other morning and I was in a hurry to get to the doctor's with my baby daughter. In such a hurry that I just didn't have time to be angry that someone had helpfully smashed one of my passenger windows. I drove to the doctor's with a car full of smashed glass. They'd had a quick look through the glove compartment but obviously feel the same as I do about my husband's CDs as nothing was missing. Totally pointless then. I think what depressed me the most is that I just haven't really felt that angry about it, just resigned to it and too busy phoning up glass people.
But I don't blame Sydenham, I love living here. And it is true that you can't guarantee you escape crime by moving. Some friends of mine had their taxi held up at gunpoint in Islington. Islington! Which is really no way to make ourselves feel better, but there you go....
paulhgc

Post by paulhgc »

where was the community support officers ? london has become a joke full of young kids in hoods and no real deterent for them when/if they are caught its time we stuck them in bright orange uniforms and make them pay the community back and all the people that claim benefits and sit at home lets send them out there to clean up the mess that theese kids make ..... lets see how quick they get a job then ..... im afraid to say that this goverment has lost touch with what the people on the street want
Monica

Post by Monica »

Community support officers? That's very funny. Considering that, the last time I had call to phone the police (at about 5 in the morning when some woman was beating the living XXXX out of her daughter in the street, I kid you not), and I got an answermachine message asking me to call back later, that hadn't even occurred to me!
Ginge

Post by Ginge »

There are a few CSO's around but to be perfectly honest none of the one's I've seen, seem capable of chasing a speeding granny on a zimmer or standing up to anyone.

When was the last time a beat bobby walked up the high street and not a spotty 14 year old in a uniform three sizes too big?
paulhgc

Post by paulhgc »

i often see the local police community support officers doing there window shopping in penge ......................... they are the biggest waste of taxpayers moneysince the poll tax they are like trafic wardens but at least trafic wardens do things like dish out tickets ...................... bring back the real policemen :roll: