Bl**dy cold train...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Nickerbockers

Bl**dy cold train...

Post by Nickerbockers »

Who was suffering with me on the 7.29am this morning?? Could actually see your breath on that train - where was the heating! I was actually glad to get to London Bridge and get off the thing... :x
manicmama

Post by manicmama »

Yup, absolutely froze my bits off! remind me what the fare increase was to pay for again? I could swear a huge chunk of the money went on those new televised advertisement boards on the London Bridge up escalators! what a waste of funds, they would have been better off providing more trains and organising a better system so we can get to work on time!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

At least the doors opened...

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news ... nav_error/

Isn't this a slight over kill that a train needs a GPS signal to open the doors, have they never heard of a Solar Maximum?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

C'mon Barty.......

(not even a nibble)
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

i prefer it when the train's cold.

nothing worse than when the heaters are on full blast.
DeeBee

Post by DeeBee »

Freezing in the opposite direction towards Victoria too. Not helped by the massive delays.

It took the best part of an hour from Crystal Palace to Streatham Hill due to a power cut at Balham. Joy. My total journey (approx 15 miles, with the extra bus and tube journeys), door-to-door was 3 hours.

And only last night I was thinking Southern hadn't been too bad this week. I must have tempted fate!

Grrr......
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

My central line connection was also freezing... what was going on??????
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

actually, on the 8:33 this morning I was in teh front carriage and could overhear the drivers radio.

it hink there was something wrong with the power supply on the lines, so maybe they had to switch off the heating to draw less power? i've no idea. or, do the trains ahve a little dynamo that provides the heating?
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

lambchops wrote:i prefer it when the train's cold.

Oh God, you're not one of those who opens the window even in a Winter where some days are colder than the Arctic are you?? Someone did it the other day - it just makes me want to scream and/or give the person a big slap!! :x
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

nah, i don't do that, but i hate it when it's way too hot.

you can't open the windows on teh trains, though!

it's the same on the buses - it's always too hot even in winter.
Barty

Post by Barty »

ALIB wrote:C'mon Barty.......

(not even a nibble)
After the shift I've had today, the last thing I wanna do is come home and post about trains :x

Everything basically went t!ts up from about 8am until the end of my shift. As well as the power failure at Balham there was one south of Epsom which basically from mid-morning bu88ered the whole of Southern.
Barty

Post by Barty »

I have to admit this GPS thing is a new one on me.

Great media headline isnt it though......Train delayed by Sat Nav error.....like train drivers don't know where they're going so they need a sat nav....how the media do so love railway-bashing...

Drivers have enough to concentrate on without having to remember how long their train is and how many coaches fit on the platform and how many doors to open. I've seen drivers route learning documents - the section from London Bridge to East Croydon alone is over 100 pages long.

Any systems that ease a driver's workload are to be applauded, not ridiculed by the press when they go wrong.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Never mind short platforms / long trains - a moan of mine is when drivers of short trains (e.g. 4 carriage ones) don't stop at the sign on the platform which says 4. The consequence of this at Sydenham "up" is that everyone near the bridge has to walk (run) many yards to get their train and those getting off have to walk further also. What's the point of those signs anyway if they are not taken notice of by the drivers?
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Nickerbockers wrote:
lambchops wrote:i prefer it when the train's cold.

Oh God, you're not one of those who opens the window even in a Winter where some days are colder than the Arctic are you?? Someone did it the other day - it just makes me want to scream and/or give the person a big slap!! :x

Often it gets so hot on the trains, even in winter, so it's nice to get a bit of fresh air. Also we're all dressed for the cold weather outside so should be warm enough. Opening those tiny windows doesn't actually make it cold with the heaters blasting. Also it is much more pleasant for people having to stand up - less likely to have people fainting all over the place!
Would be cold without the heaters though.
No need to slap/scream (except for other reasons!) just ask to close the window maybe? :wink:
Barty

Post by Barty »

Sydenham wrote:Never mind short platforms / long trains - a moan of mine is when drivers of short trains (e.g. 4 carriage ones) don't stop at the sign on the platform which says 4. The consequence of this at Sydenham "up" is that everyone near the bridge has to walk (run) many yards to get their train and those getting off have to walk further also. What's the point of those signs anyway if they are not taken notice of by the drivers?
This shouldn't be happening. Drivers of four-car trains or shorter should stop at the 4, and drivers of longer trains should stop right at the London end of platform 1.

Occasionally drivers will make mistakes, as we all do, particularly if they were due to be driving, say, an 8-car train which had to be split to form two different 4-car services at short notice. But if this is a frequent occurrence you should let Southern know.

In saying this, bear in mind...
- this is only for London-bound trains - all trains from London, regardless of length, will stop right at the end of the "down" platform.

- and London-bound trains of only two cars will still stop at the 4-car sign, which will mean people scurrying along from the bridge as you describe. There are only two mirrors for the drivers to look back and check the doors.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Worst offender is th 0918 to East Croydon every morning. Usually 2 cars but driver stops as far as possible towards Sydenham ( might as well go all the way to Sydenham ).
People with mobility , having just conquered the bridge ) then have a very long walk.

Surely trains should stop closest to clients.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Is this at FH, Eagle?

As above, 2-car trains will stop at the 4-car stop signs, there aren't separate stop signs for 2-car trains.
Eagle wrote:Surely trains should stop closest to clients.
Trains stop where there are means for the drivers to be able to see when it is safe to close the train doors - i.e. at places on the platform where mirrors or camera screens are located.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes this is at FH.
I appreciate what you say but the mirrors could be in the wrong place.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Banks of mirrors or tv camera screens all along every platform would be a little impractical. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Barty you are quite right and I should have thought this through . It is anoying but guess we have to live with it.