Somerfield

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Pat Trembath

Somerfield

Post by Pat Trembath »

Major makeover going on at Somerfield at long last. Main work is being done at night.

It's a bit chaotic at present and there are lots of half price bargains but the store looks a much brighter already. Fingers crossed that this will prove to be the supermarket we have all been waiting for.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Pat. Any sign of Co-op signage?

Admin
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Nope - was told it would stay as a Somerfield for the time being and the in-store signage is blue on white. However also told that there would be emphasis on fresh food - hence the fingers crossed.
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

I heard that Morrisons had started work on some other Somerfield stores, so maybe that's what we'll end up with. Could be alot worse.

liz
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I remember the Somerfield in East Dulwich years ago used to be a right poo hole...perhaps this is the start of the turnaround for Sydenham? I do hope they change the branding at the front to brighten it up a bit, it's horrible at the mo.

G-man
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This from Monday's Independent:

"Peter Marks, the chief executive of The Co-operative Group, has revealed that he plans to close Somerfield's head office in Bristol next year, putting hundreds of jobs at risk, and that it will take "at least two years" to convert more than 650 Somerfield stores to its own brand.

Speaking for the first time about his plans after the Co-operative's £1.57bn acquisition of Somerfield is completed next month, Mr Marks said that the UK's largest mutual retailer would run Somerfield as a "separate entity" for about 18 months while the integration of the two local grocery chains takes place.

The OFT said the acquisition of the 800-store Somerfield estate would be good for consumers, but it forced The Co-operative to dispose of 133 stores in areas where it had concerns about competition. The Co-operative has already sold a large number of the stores to rivals including Morrisons and Waitrose.

The Co-operative is currently refurbishing its more than 2,500 food stores, as part of a wider £1.5bn rebranding exercise across the whole group. "

I cannot find a list of which 133 stores are not part of the merger but as the Co-op has a small footprint in the area I presume Sydenham will become a Co-op.

Admin
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

admin wrote: I cannot find a list of which 133 stores are not part of the merger but as the Co-op has a small footprint in the area I presume Sydenham will become a Co-op.
Admin, you're absolutely right.

The list of stores to be divested is at http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/merger ... op-UIL.pdf (see annexes to the document).

The Sydenham store is not among them.
Barty

Post by Barty »

It doesn't matter whose name is on the front of the shop, or how attractive it looks after a refit, nobody will shop there if, after gathering their shopping, they stand in a long queue at the checkout whilst two or three tills stand empty and staff wander around looking at the queue in a state of panic instead of opening up a checkout and helping reduce it.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I was in Somerfield twice this week and picked up some brilliant bargains. I think it is already looking a lot better but does anyone know if the bakery will still be operating? They have more check out capacity which is great BUT it will only be any good if they have the people actually working at the checkouts!
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I've just been into the 'new look' Somerfield and I thought it was great, brighter, cleaner, more stock, wonderfully laid out, spacious - massive improvement :D get's my thumbs up, definitely will use on a regular basis from now on :D :D
Barty

Post by Barty »

Yes, I was in there the other day as well.

The signs are good, after my earlier criticisms, it's nice to be able to eat my words.

That said, it wasn't exactly busy, so we shall see what happens next time there's a big queue.

The new layout is much like the Somerfield in Croydon, which is far far busier and usually muc better staffed.

but, yeah, definately a vast improvement.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Yes much better. Little bit of effort and thought goes a long way. Felt a little bit more like the East Dulwich one.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I think the new look Somerfield is really good and in fact I have been there more times than Savacentre over the last couple of weeks! I just wish they had more staff on the tills when I have been in though. They have had plenty around the store but only 1 till open!
multisync

Post by multisync »

Just go to the rear exit doors and ask to see the manager.I did yesterday and within 2 mins,three more tills opened.Mind you the queue was almost out of the doorby then.
Jessie

Post by Jessie »

I went in there the other night for the 1st time in ages it has much better layout and feel to the place was a lot easy to find hings as well.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I went in last Friday. Used quick check out but was surprised and very disapointed in the currect booze culture to be surrounded by cheap lager.
parker

Post by parker »

Havent been in the new store yet, has the new layout been designed for its transition to be the Co-Operative food because Co-Operative food have taken over Somerfield...?

Hopefully they change the exterior and signage so the shop name 'to be Co-Operative' is more accesible to the eye as you walk past it in the high street. I do wish they would remove that ugly, white 'typical 80's supermarket style' shelter thing off the front of the building from its original 'Safeway' design, it makes the inside all dark and gloomy.

I will visit soon, hope its as nice as everyone says :)
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

coop havn't bought this one have they?
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I truly hope this wont become a Cooperative. My mother works for the organisation and till and counter staff have been working with no heating on for months as the store has switched off heating in the shop to save money. The checkout girls have chillblains on their fingers and my mother has had five chillblains on her feet. They sit and have their lunch with their coats on, whilst the management team ensure their offices are heater to the degree they are wearing short sleeved shirts. Several times the union have appeared and the heating has gone on only for it to be switched off again once they've left. Noone dare make a fuss for fear of their jobs
Customers often joke its warmer outside the store
parker

Post by parker »

Was in the alledged 'new' Somerfield today, and to be honest its not as nice as id hoped it would be, all the changes seem to have been done on the cheapest form possible, nothing like the East Dulwich one :oops: theres only a few differences and still space for more checkouts, its still very pokey and dark in there, a bit more llight wouldnt go a miss Mr Somerfield! Also no proper Bakery, but still the expensive prices without the quality to warrant. Think were a long way from the East Dulwich design.