Bakerloo extension?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

nasaroc wrote:The Bakerloo line would have to be relaid to take "overground" rail bogeys of course - just as is happening with the existing ELL line. But this is a comparatively easy engineering task.
Google reckons that the Bakerloo line is already standard gauge, so maybe it would be even simpler than that?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Gazza – even better. What a boon it would be if Lower Sydenham were linked by one train direct to Oxford Circus and central London!
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

Bakerloo line trains running north of Queens Park (on their way to Harrow & Wealdstone) already use "British Rail" track - they share with services out of Euston - so there should be no problem with them running on mainline track in our area as its already happening up't North.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Sydenham wrote:Bakerloo line trains running north of Queens Park (on their way to Harrow & Wealdstone) already use "British Rail" track - they share with services out of Euston - so there should be no problem with them running on mainline track in our area as its already happening up't North.
Blimey, it sounds like this is so simple and cheap to do in comparison with other projects that there must be a good chance of this happening.

:idea: It's almost like flick the switching, paint the traintracks brown and hey presto - we're on the Bakerloo line! 8)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Maybe it's harder to achieve than we think, but I'd be interested to know roughly when we could expect this to open. if this did go ahead then this might mean that there's reason to live in lower Sydenham!
parker

Post by parker »

nasaroc wrote:Gazza – even better. What a boon it would be if Lower Sydenham were linked by one train direct to Oxford Circus and central London!
This is exactly what i would love to add to the East london Line, Sydenham and Lower Sydenham would definetely become one of the optimum locations to live regarding transport links. I hope they may even try to connect Shoreditch High Street Station to the Central Line, then i wouldnt mind at all the Zone 1 situation. Also surely it would be a good idea to do this alongside the central Line's access to complement and make more worth while the new (to be built) multi-million pound Tottenham Court Road Station.
Gaz wrote:London mayor Boris Johnson has said he is considering plans to extend the Bakerloo tube line as far as Lewisham. ..if it were to be extended to Lewisham, what would be the likely route? Any chance at all that it could come through Forest Hill or Syd?
That is wishful thinking Gaz, i dont think its possible to connect Lewisham and Sydenham directly although i know where you're coming from, that would be great in terms of direct tube links into Central and vice versa.
admin wrote:Mr. Swingler In London Transport's view a lengthy extension of the Bakerloo line is unlikely to be practicable. The case for a shorter extension is among the possibilities being tested in the London Transportation Study.

Route? Possibly Elephant - Walworth - Camberwell - Denmark Hill - Peckham Rye - Nunhead - Brockley - Lewisham, then all stations to Hayes.
By looking at this surely it would be easy enough to connect the Bakerloo Line from Lewisham to Bromley South (one of the busiest stations) where there is no direct connection to Charing X at present, could an extention not be added between New Beckenham, Beckenham Junction through to Bromley South, it would seem better to serve Bromley South rather than stations which some already have access to the Tramlink in the direction of sleepy Hayes! That way both busy stations Lewisham and Bromley South would be served by the Bakerloo Line.

Nasaroc, would you know of the reasons why this could/could not be done or why it hasnt been mentioned before??

I do hope that direct access to Waterloo and Charing X wont be removed when Thameslink comes to Sydenham in 2015. Unless ofcourse it can stop somewhere nearish Covent Garden or something.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Gaz wrote:London mayor Boris Johnson has said he is considering plans to extend the Bakerloo tube line as far as Lewisham. ..if it were to be extended to Lewisham, what would be the likely route? Any chance at all that it could come through Forest Hill or Syd?
Syd and Lewisham are already connected.....it's called the 75 bus :D
Psi

Post by Psi »

nasaroc wrote:Gaz- I don't think this is just a pipe dream.

There have already been some rough estimates of the cost of moving Lower Sydenham station across Southend Lane to the rear of the Savacentre as part of the scheme.
I would think that would be worth doing regardless of the tube line as it would make the station feel connected.

I can imagine that those people who drive there wouldn't be happy with the loss of the parking spaces, not that it affects me, I have to rely on the bus
parker

Post by parker »

Barty wrote:
Syd and Lewisham are already connected.....it's called the 75 bus :D

Yeh but the buses dont put the local houseprices up to keep the riff raff out of an area do they, the tube does!
Barty

Post by Barty »

Parker, I think your link between riff raff and house prices is a little tenuous!

Just because someone can afford a big expensive house, doesn't mean they won't annoy their neighbours!

And there are plenty of "riff raff" areas on the tube map!!