Incessant Chatter...

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Barty

Post by Barty »

All you need to do, Admin, I would have thought, is display a prominent disclaimer to anyone who registers on the site along the lines of "The views of the members of STF are not necessarily those of the site administrator, and individual members are responsible for the contents of their posts....." - saves you having to make the decision about what could be considered libellous, defamatory, etc. and passes that responsibility onto the poster.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Wow, it is getting extremely involved and heavy here - it's amazing what arguments break out sometimes when you look at the title of the original post! :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Barty - pretty obvious I could not agree with all the views expressed here. However I do PUBLISH them. So there is a joint responsibility by the author and me. As it is not pre-moderated the law gives me some protection in that removing defamatory material in a reasonable time is a defence.

Usually I first check with the offended party. If it becomes known that they suppressed unflattering material it can rebound. Hence I do advise they come up with a robust response or let others correct the accusation. Most good people do just this. The problem is the law protects the bad people since if they insist I must remove (or see them in court).

Having said that - then the number of instances over the last 5 years can be counted on two hands so its not a major problem in this forum. It is a real problem for more edgy forums.

So chatter on ... incessantly!

Admin
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

And for those below the age of 35 the phrase

"I think we should be told",

Is a regular Private Eye phrase, sort of a smile icon from before computer days.
I believe Bensonsby is a Private Eye reader so he should have cottoned on.
you want Debate?

Henry VI part 2 Jack cades speech
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Seems I have a lot of catching up to do. This one has run and run.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

admin wrote:Barty - pretty obvious I could not agree with all the views expressed here. However I do PUBLISH them. So there is a joint responsibility by the author and me. As it is not pre-moderated the law gives me some protection in that removing defamatory material in a reasonable time is a defence.

Usually I first check with the offended party. If it becomes known that they suppressed unflattering material it can rebound. Hence I do advise they come up with a robust response or let others correct the accusation. Most good people do just this. The problem is the law protects the bad people since if they insist I must remove (or see them in court).

Having said that - then the number of instances over the last 5 years can be counted on two hands so its not a major problem in this forum. It is a real problem for more edgy forums.

So chatter on ... incessantly!

Admin

ipso facto some of the civil law in this country is grotesquly anachronistic...
Last edited by bensonby on 7 Mar 2009 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

catscratch wrote:And for those below the age of 35 the phrase

"I think we should be told",

Is a regular Private Eye phrase, sort of a smile icon from before computer days.
I believe Bensonsby is a Private Eye reader so he should have cottoned on.
you want Debate?

Henry VI part 2 Jack cades speech
shurely shome mishtake?
Barty

Post by Barty »

<barty runs away from this thread and hides>
catscratch

Post by catscratch »

I thought you'd get the allusion Bensonby :D

hung by my own petard eh?
Rule one....... get your facts right :roll:
it was of course Dick the Butcher.