New Tesco in Kirkdale?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
natbeuk

Post by natbeuk »

So did anyone go to this meeting, and if so does it look like the Tesco will be going ahead?
Cheese Wotsits

Post by Cheese Wotsits »

NO to Tesco and NO to badly run businesses.

I don't like Tesco for ethical reassons, and I don't go to many of the local shops because they're so badly run. Still, if I have to choose between the 2 in our high street I'll choose Tesco. I wouldn't go there, but hopefully that will make so many local shops realize that they need to improve what they offer and how they do it. Let's face it, if someone rather goes to Tesco than to a local shop, that doesn't speak very highly of them, does it? overall Tesco is cheap, and ok quality at the most.

So, is Tesco coming to Sydenham?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

The application was approved as it appeared on the planning meeting agenda - although there were one or two stipulations about deliveries and opening hours which should be noted under the officer's report.

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=54589
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Cheese Wotsits. Please note, this is not a Tesco that will be selling at Superstore prices. If you have visited the petrol station next to the Horniman, you will see that the prices are signicantly higher than those at Tescos larger stores.
Whether they have anything additional to offer to Kirkdale, than what already exists, we will have to wait and see.

Ali B
McLondres

Post by McLondres »

marianne wrote:I agree with Sean - I look forward to Tesco's coming. The more the merrier. That part of Kirkdale is now like no man's land! Shabby horrible shops (those that are open).
Do you hark back to a time when it was any different?
Its always been like that. But I agree, we do need a sterile, souless and expensive Tesco to destroy all the small businesses. Hurrrrrrah!
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

McLondres wrote:
marianne wrote:I agree with Sean - I look forward to Tesco's coming. The more the merrier. That part of Kirkdale is now like no man's land! Shabby horrible shops (those that are open).
Do you hark back to a time when it was any different?
Its always been like that. But I agree, we do need a sterile, souless and expensive Tesco to destroy all the small businesses. Hurrrrrrah!
At least there will be increased competition for you to find your favourite security guard...

For all its knockers, Sydenham is on the up from what I've seen over the past few years of living here. As for Tesco opening on Kirkdale, I think it will have a positive effect - whether I'll shop there or not depends whether it offers anything different & better from my regular shopping haunts.
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

i walk past the site most days and no sign of Tesco starting any work......
multisync

Post by multisync »

When they do it will be quick
McLondres

Post by McLondres »

multisync wrote:When they do it will be quick
Where I used to live, the Tesco was done in an Egyptian style (to signify culture?) It arrived in cardboard boxes and took a week to put together. I think it was designed by the children in the school next door.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Ram tells me that the new Tesco is expected to open at the end of April. It will be selling newspapers, which I hadn't realised.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I never new such excitement about the opening of a small Tesco's.

All Tesco's sell newspapers which will probably mean the newsagents just a few doors away that has been there for over 50 years will close.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

All Tesco's sell newspapers which will probably mean the newsagents just a few doors away that has been there for over 50 years will close.
Whilst I'm certainly pleased that Kirkdale is finally getting some TLC, I certainly wouldn't pop into Tesco to buy a newspaper!
multisync

Post by multisync »

Lets face it Kirkdale needs something to wake it up.At the moment when you go through on the bus you don't really want to get off.It is so sad looking and down trodden. There used to be a bakers,butchers,greengrocers,pet shop and who remembers Bouchers Store!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The tesco mini store in SE23 is a nightmare.
Nearly get run down if you enter the store
Many complaints about cards being cloned
Staff rarely smile and many cannot speak the language.

When Tesco comes to the old High Street it will not be a bed of roses. You wait and see who is closed in 12 months time and if it is an improvement.
parker

Post by parker »

Hi, i can clarify that a Tesco Express WILL be opening on the corner of Willow Way under the new flats in Kirkdale around the end of April. It can only be seen as a good thing because nobody else wants to invest in Kirkdale, how bad can a new competitively priced Tesco be in a neighbourhood which looks like it will never be a 'Lordship Lane' or 'Beckenham High Street', hopefully other businesses will follow, something has to be done and i think we should be pleased Tesco is opening. :)
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

It won't be open at the end of April. They have only just started work - I asked a builder on the site yesterday and he said they expect an 8 week turn around. So end of May not April.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Parker
I am inpressed you think Tesco will attract other stores, I think quite the opposite you will lose some existing stores.
Perhaps we should check in 12 months whom is correct? I hope you but expect me.
parker

Post by parker »

I think that having a Tesco in the area will make other busineesses think, hmmm, if tesco are here why dont we open up too, some type of other shop like a coffee shop may think that if Tesco is here there must be some passing trade therefore i should open a business here.

And as for losing the other shops, should we really care about some of these crappy shops which are probably cover up drug dens anyway! Also expensive rip off merchants like a certain newsagent nearby, again not going to mention names. Tesco is a part of an investmet for Kirkdale and other types of businesses can join the area being complemented by Tesco. Why should we have to pay the high prices independent shops charge like Ram's and Costcutter just because were a little out of the way.

Also would you rather an independent trader to open up that cant afford to stay open because Kirkdale is off the beating track and lacks passing trade or a shop that is run by a multi-national company that has plenty of cash to invest and stay in the area despite difficult times?
Annie

Post by Annie »

I'm with you on this one Parker, not sure what to do about the parking issue and, delivery times and noise
parker

Post by parker »

In regard to Parking at Tesco Kirkdale, i can see people parking around the forecourt of that office/depot thing with the Lewisham Council sign outside it on Willow Way adjacent to the corner frontage of Tesco, ive seen many cars parked around that area before as i dont think there is any restriction notices along there to prohibit it. Also Sydenham Park will act as another 'car park' for customers if there are no spaces outside Ram's.

Not all Tesco Expresses have parking facilities, maybe a good idea of looking into the parking and delivery time arangements of other 'express' stores like the one on Anerley Hill which is similar in terms of these foreseen issues.