Mayow Park - the good news

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mummycat

Mayow Park - the good news

Post by mummycat »

huh
Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi,

That all sounds good.

Looking forward to the changes to make this park the way it was when I was a child.

Good luck!!!!!
adrian

Post by adrian »

This is great news. However when voting for Mayow Park I did assume that at least a part of the funds would go towards transforming the existing play area into a useful space for young children. I note on your other thread that some new equipment would be provided and hope that this will be the case and that the selection of items will be well-thought out.

The recent installation of the yellow-orange equipment on muddy ground as opposed to a proper modern play surface was a bit strange and not very exciting as it reuqires no physical skills. All the other climbing/sliding stuff is ill designed for the main users i.e. families with at least one pre-school child. The recently demolished 'treehouse' slide was a favourite with toddlers but was also dangerous and required constant hands-on attendace to prevent a 1.8m fall.

The small playground at upper Sydenham Wells Park (quite a trek from lower Syd) or Dulwich Park are good examples of how to get it right where pre-schoolers can happily use well-designed robust equipment without risking life-threatening falls. I hope the Mayow Park play area can achieve a similar standard.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Thanks for your comments, Adrian.

The reason I became involved in FOMP was to improve the childrens play equipment. My children are 5 & 7 and keep moaning that there's nothing to do there....

The new play equipment will replace the burnt out "treehouse" style slide and also 2 other items which are a smaller scale for toddlers. I have just chased up the suppliers and hope to meet with them on the installation date to advise them where to site them.

I agree with you about the yellow/red equipment. Unfortunately the consultation carried out wasn't very effective - I'm a regular park user and I had under 5's, so why didn't I hear about it?!! When we carry out the consultation with young people (10-16y) to design their own space within the park, we intend to carry out a more comprehensive excercise.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This is a lovely park and good luck with efforts to improve it further.

I support facility for teenagers as long as well monitored. I hope now they are having their own facility they will refrain from playingb soccer on the bowls green.
McLondres

Post by McLondres »

nice park!!
adrian

Post by adrian »

mummycat

Do you or anyone else have any news about the new equipment? We went there yesterday and were disappointed to see no change.

It was busy as usual but with the smaller children struggling to find anything to do or requiring heavy-handed assistance to get them up on the only large slide with the primary-school age kids.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Hi Adrian,

Yes, indeed the new equipment is due this week - I'm trying to pin down exactly when, as I would like to be present to confirm location. Having said this, I have sent emails describing the under 6's play area (i.e. where the old one was burnt down).

I've just been in Mayow Park having a pic-nic and swinging the pois (!) with my daughter, watching Glendale demolishing the odd looking wooden ladder to make room for the new equipment.....

I have also launched a Mayow Park blog to keep everyone updated: http://mayowpark.wordpress.com/

I'll keep you posted.....
Emma
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

mummycat wrote:I have also launched a Mayow Park blog to keep everyone updated: http://mayowpark.wordpress.com/

I'll keep you posted.....
Emma
Thanks for this Emma - I will look forward to reading more about this lovely park.

And on another note ........ this is going to sound like a trivial gripe but I really don't mean it like that :) and have no idea whether the FOMP can do anything, but thought I'd let you know.

On the Mayow Road side are 2 wonderful pink cherry trees and I look forward to seeing them every year - even going to work on a Monday morning can be cheered up by the sight.

So there I am this year, glorying in the aboslutely gorgeous fluffy pink cloud above my head and desperately trying to avert my eyes from the bed underneath full of acidic yellow wallflowers :cry:

Is there no-one at Glendale who has an eye for these things? (Dare I ask, is there no-one at Glendale who has any taste :twisted: ) Couldn't they have put a nice bed of purple or white pansies/violas underneath to tone in - at least just for the time that the cherries flower??

Told you it was trivial, and maybe no-one else agrees, but it's really irritating me at the moment!

Thanks
Hils
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Yes, I know what you mean! I was sitting there with my sunglasses on this afternoon thinking the same....

I'm assuming that the bulbs were planted at a time when the cherry wasn't in blossom and Glendale employees probably don't have a qualification in floral design!

I shall bring it up at the next FOMP meeting. Although trivial it may seem, it's important to note for the future maintenance contractors, which is up for renewal this year. We need to insist on the highest professionalism for the maintenance for our parks and open spaces.

Thanks for raising your concern. :D
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

At any other time of the year, I would love to see those bright, cheerful and very yellow beds .............

And I'm sure you're right - that it was all planted some time ago - it's just the lack of foresight but thanks for noting anyway - maybe next year!
noangel

Post by noangel »

This is really fabulous news that Mayow Park has funding - I love that park esp since my flat over looks it. But do they have to start the work in the early hours of the morning!?! :roll: I don't mind being woken up to the sound of children playing but loud construction work? A girl needs her beauty sleep - everyone at work has been commented on how tired and unwell I look today ... I'm not my usual gorgeous self :lol:

By early, I mean before 8am. I don't know what time is was but I remember thinking I had least another half hour before the alarm went off. I maybe a little too over sensitive but one is not a morning person :)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hi No Angel
Puzzled what work you do if you are not up by 8am.

It is usually standard that builders etc start at 8am.

Sorry about your beauty sleep .
noangel

Post by noangel »

Hi Eagle

I was working from home this morning, hence my late rising. I'm usually up before that time during the week. I was slightly annoyed because I was looking forward to my sleep in. But one of the workers had his shirt off this morning and has a good body so that made up for it. :lol:

Take care now

NA
mummycat

New Play Equipment

Post by mummycat »

Hi Noangel,

The reason your beauty sleep was broken was the installation of the new under 6's play equipment.....

http://mayowpark.wordpress.com/
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Glad Mayow Park is getting improvements and thanks to all those involved.

I have nieghbours who are worried about the bowling green. Can you confirm it will be retained and if possible new facilities for cloakroom , teamaking etc.
mummycat

Bowling green

Post by mummycat »

Hi Eagle,

As far as I know, plans have been re-submitted for a temporary structure (although this could mean 20 years!) to the right of the bowling green as you look at it from the terrace. There will be facilities for toilet/electricity for the bowling club and their visitors.

The reason why the first application was turned down was that the location was too close to the ancient oaks and providing such utilities could cause damage to the roots. The style of a metal "shipping container" in a historic park was also a worry to local residents and park users.

I can update you when there is more news...
parker

Post by parker »

Will the new play areas at Mayow Park be modelled on the ones of Wells Park? Mayow Park may get a Zip Line, and one of those sprinkler wet play area's.

Wells Park has been beautifully looked after and has had a lot of money spent on it over the years, including new signage around the park, just a shame about the kind of people who go in there around dusk destroying the flowers. I hope Mayow Park will be designed roughly to the same extent.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Hi Parker,

The playground at Mayow Park is far too small to accommodate a zip wire, but yes it would be great if we could provide a water feature, too.

The 2 parks are different in character - Wells Park is a beautifully manicured park with permanent groundsman to maintain the flower beds, etc. The positioning of the play areas were designed along with the landscaping.

Mayow Park is predominantly a recreation ground with added playground, pic-nic area, tennis courts, bowling green around it.

It's like swings and roundabouts! :lol:

Home Park too has a different character, which will be receiving a makeover in the near future....
lbere

Post by lbere »

Hi, my friend and I have just taken up running (very slowly and with lots of stops) and as we had a meeting in Dulwich tonight, we decided to run in Dulwich Park on the way back home. On the footpath in Dulwich Park they have marked out in white lining, 100m, 200m and so on up to 1200m. We normally (try) to run in Mayow Park and I realise that the 'round' in the Park is not that large but would there be any chance that this could be done?

Just out of interest, does anyone know how long the 'round' is?

Many thanks