Bell Green developer goes bust

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

and don't forget the 6 million dollar man - Lee Majors

(sorry its off topic)
parker

Post by parker »

Dont think another Homebase is a good idea anyway, theres already one nearby in Penge and one at the other end of Southend Lane, we dont need one in Sydenham, people dont mind travelling in the car another 10 minutes for a shop like Homebase. I think a Cinema would be good, it would match the architecture of Sainsbury's behind it! We need more Leisure complexes in Lewisham as a borough, though Sydenham doesnt strike me as being the correct location for a multi-plex cinema and can you imagine the young teenage trouble in that area with anything of that kind as an attraction. And as for the shops across from it, i think they havent got a prayer in staying open even if nobody does develop across from it, those shops are useless and have been closing one by one for years, hence spar and a pizza shop on the corner next to the news agents.

Can you imagine a nice open green area there, it would look so nice and spacious and would make the area well and truly 'Bell Green'!!! :D
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

people dont mind travelling in the car another 10 minutes for a shop like Homebase.
not everyone has a car.

Liz
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

About a year ago Homebase had an outline agreement with the developer to lease a site at Bell Green. Six months ago the developer made it very clear that Homebase wanted to escape from any obligation to continue with this lease.

Homebase hasn't dropped out of opening a store at Bell Green because of the collapse of the developer. Homebase itself decided not to continue. The link below describes Homebase's current financial state.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009 ... de-warning

The failure to attract any further major retailer to the site after Sainsburys in over 15 years must mean that a fresh look at the site is now necessary.

Let's be clear about what is happening. At the "front" of the site, a 176 unit housing block is planned - this housing is a mix of social and commercial. And the area across the road directly in front of that housing (the area where the pizza shops etc is) will be redeveloped for better housing and an expanded health centre. In my view, both these developments should be welcomed with open arms.

So what do you do with the rest of the site? A park may be a good idea, even if it's only temporary until something else comes along. But we should bear in mind that what remains of the site (to the north or left of the spine road) is badly contaminated - OK for retail or leisure use with a good coverage of tarmac between you and the soil but not the sort of place you may want your children or dog rooting around in. Although, come to think of it this may be an ideal solution to Sydenham's "dog problem" or Eagle's view that the area is "overpopulated"!
stuart

Post by stuart »

Nasaroc - it was not clear from my reading of the original article whether Sydenham was one of the subsidary companies to be put into administration or be kept going. It would appear that what is to be decided for each project company differs depending on which lender Castlemore used to finance that project.

Do you know more?

Stuart
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I can assure you from the messages coming out of the Town Hall that as far as they are concerned, the Bell Green site is a "goner". There really doesn't look as if there is any prospect of an immediate rescue for Bell Green as there is of one or two Castlemore projects like Temple Meads in Bristol (most of these are already in construction).

Bluntly, there simply isn't anything at Bell Green to "rescue".

It's a sad sign of the times that a company like Castlemore with £1bn of UK projects "in train" can go bust and there is scarely a mention of it in the national press.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

lizzie wrote:
people dont mind travelling in the car another 10 minutes for a shop like Homebase.
not everyone has a car.

Liz
Most people buying stuff in homebase or wickes/focus/B&q probably pick stuff up by car.

;-)
parker

Post by parker »

Thank you Leenewham,

thats exactly where im coming from