LA Fitness

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
fishcox

LA Fitness

Post by fishcox »

Probably covered somewhere else, I know, but can anyone let me know whether LA Fitness is any good.

They have some pretty good deals on there at the moment (two for the price of one, or a year membership for six months payments) and I wondered if there were any current members on here who could advise what its like.

In an attempt to get fitter, and lose a bit of weight, I would be probably try to use it for an hour or so every/every other night, and just do a bit of conveyor running and loose weight work - for maybe an hour or so. does it get very busy? Is the pool any good? Are the other members friendly? That sort of stuff.

Thanks
DanW

Post by DanW »

Hi Fishcox,

I joined LA Fitness in January for pretty much the same reasons as you, and I think it's good value. There are more flashy gyms around but the machines are well maintained and the staff are helpful. A few of the changing room lockers have had the locks ripped off, so it looks like someone light fingered is around at the moment - so prehaps don't leave anything too valuable in them.

Not used the pool yet, so can't really comment how good it is.

It gets pretty busy around 7-8pm on week day evenings but even then you can always get on something. Nice and quiet at the weekends when I've been.

Dan
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Cheers Dan

I only live round the corner, so I dont think I'd be leaving anything there.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I've been an aqua member for 15 years.

Sad? Well, maybe, but I've made many local friends during this time. The club is welcoming and there's lots to talk about when any equipment is not in use! The staff are friendly and, believe me, they do try to keep on top of members' complaints. Head Office is another matter!

For me, a ten minute brisk walk down the road to warm up, and half an hour swimming, followed by another half hour aqua weights, with a session relaxing in the steam room or sauna and a final slump in the jacuzzi on three weekday mornings a week is just great and, for regular off-peak users, it is truly value for money on our own doorstep.
stuart

Post by stuart »

DanW wrote:A few of the changing room lockers have had the locks ripped off, so it looks like someone light fingered is around at the moment - so prehaps don't leave anything too valuable in them.
Don't think so. The mechanism is held together by a bolt which is prone to work loose. If it isn't tightened up promptly the whole thing falls apart - with the bolt heading for a niche only to be found sometime later when retreating barefoot to the showers.

Routine preventive maintenance is not their strong point. Or finding a robust way to scan membership cards. Despite that it does the job and being able to walk there is a bonus. I like LA Sydenham.

Stuart

PS There is a 10% off offer to members who introduce new members so anyone decides to join why not PM a member and split the bonus?
Last edited by stuart on 27 Mar 2009 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
lambchops

Post by lambchops »

Pat Trembath wrote:I've been an aqua member for 15 years.

Sad? Well, maybe, but I've made many local friends during this time. The club is welcoming and there's lots to talk about when any equipment is not in use! The staff are friendly and, believe me, they do try to keep on top of members' complaints. Head Office is another matter!

For me, a ten minute brisk walk down the road to warm up, and half an hour swimming, followed by another half hour aqua weights, with a session relaxing in the steam room or sauna and a final slump in the jacuzzi on three weekday mornings a week is just great and, for regular off-peak users, it is truly value for money on our own doorstep.
settle down pat, you're going to give admin a bloody pressure problem!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

fishcox wrote:I only live round the corner, so I dont think I'd be leaving anything there.
If you only live round the corner, then it's worth it. It's not going to win any prizes, but it's got all the basics there. Although there's always stuff that needs repairing, they've made a number of improvements over recent years, and it is rarely so busy that you're waiting for equipment.

If you're local and you can get a decent membership offer, it's a no-brainer if you want to join a gym, just for the convenience.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

It's never too much wait for equipment which has always been a problem for me at bigger gyms. If you want lots of classes, I find it's quite limited for beginners. Otherwise I quite enjoy this gym.
yay!gosydenham!

Post by yay!gosydenham! »

ah now I've got such mixed feelings about LA Fitness. It's so convenient for me so, yes, no brainer on that front. And that's why I joined. Any further and I'd never go... even more than I never go at the moment! :wink:

The biggest plus after location is that it is very friendly. And they seem to look after you a bit. BUT it really is run down. Maybe I was spoilt where I was before I moved, but for me, part of the incentive for going was that it felt like a bit of treat as well as a work out with clean changing rooms, lots of space around each machine, a tv screen on each machine(!sounds OTT but it really does help to pass the time and the agony!), private shower cubicles, nice free shower gel and shampoo, handcream etc. LA Fitness was such a comedown after this. Everything seems so worn and shabby. It's often overcrowded and the machines are all quite close so it's not the escapism I was used to. It is quite man-grunt heavy. And the pool is tiny! Maybe they are struggling financially, I don't know, but can't they at least give it a coat of paint?! I think if they are going to charge what they do, they should at least make it look clean and looked after. There I do so like a good moan! But doesn't anyone agree? Even a little bit??

Also, does anyone else struggle with the (arm-free) cross trainer? It feels to me like it's built for men. The motion is big and heavy duty and my feet keep slipping on the ramps and getting caught in the lip at either end. Sounds wierd but I've never had this problem before. Anyone else have this?

Another option is to join the running club or the tennis club, both of which I'd consider now... both considerably cheaper... It's not all bad though.. they make a great cuppa tea when you have to wait to talk to the membership rep. 8)

Anyone with any further thoughts?
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

yay!gosydenham! does have a point. I used the LA Fitness in East Finchley which was massive and the equipment more modern, tonnes more classes. But the LA Fitness in Sydenham charges the SAME monthly price for a gym not even a quarter of the size/quality of the EF branch.
girl_canuck

National Sports Centre?

Post by girl_canuck »

Has anyone tried the National Sports Centre in Crystal Palace Park? I'm thinking of joining it, as it seems really reasonably priced, and has all kinds of facilities, including a rock climbing wall! (I haven't actually seen it yet though). It's about a 20 minute walk though from where I am, so it's not as convenient as LA Fitness would be.... but I've always thought LA Fitnesses were overpriced anyway.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not for 30 years or so but used to be great for squash , badminton and swimming.
yay!gosydenham!

Post by yay!gosydenham! »

Hi girl_canuk,
Funnily enough I went to look at Crystal Palace Sports Centre when I moved to Sydenham.. and couldn't find the entrance! The big entrance that I found that looked like a main entrance is fenced off and the place is huge! It was getting dark so myself and I guy I asked gave up! I have heard good things. But be aware that if you go early morning or late evening you'll have to go in and out through the park in the dark. I think it's fine if you've got a car but if you're walking take care.
I've stop winging now everyone!
:-D
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

girl_canuck > did you ever check out the Crystal Palace Sports Centre?
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Thanks for the tips everyone. I joined in the end, thanks to the 'special offer' they had, which was 'half price' membership. As with all 'special offers' it meant half price membership on the top membership deal - where you can use any of the LA Fitness Centres. As I am not likely to use any of the others, it wasnt that good a deal. Nearly £40 a month.

Anyway, it's not been too bad. As pointed out, it does get busy in the evenings, but I can usually get on a treadmill pretty soon.

It is tight space-wise, though. I wonder why they dont expand into the old Inconvenience Store next door, which is now vacated.

I'm impressed by the fitness levels of my fellow Sydenhamites. I'm already feeling the benefit.
girl_canuck

Crystal Palace Sports Centre

Post by girl_canuck »

We did end up checking out the Crystal Palace Sports Centre a few weeks ago, and just like yay!gosydenham!, we wandered around for ages trying to find it. With the construction going on there, they don't make it very clear where you're supposed to go!! We FINALLY found the temporary gym building next to a strange looking tower that looks like a university dorm. We ended up joining, as it was £22/month each with a joint membership, and they have mostly new equipment, classes, and a beautiful view over the park.

They're going to be moving back into the big fenced-off building later this year - I think the prices go up to £30/month at that point.

I don't have a car, so it means I get a bit of a workout jogging or cycling all the way into the park to get there, but the gym is a darn-sight nicer than The Bridge in Lower Sydenham, and I refused to join the LA Fitness for various long and boring reasons.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I'm constantly amazed at how expensive gyms are.....isn't it just as effective, and much cheaper, to go jogging around the park and doing press ups and sit ups?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Not quite Bensonby. The machines in the gym allow you to build strength in a wider range of muscle groups. I myself find it very boring, but I put up with it for 20 minutes, three times a week, just to refresh the parts that other forms of exercise (cycling, running, swimming, pilates) cannot reach.
mysti77

Post by mysti77 »

bensonby > I actually wish that these gym contracts/joining fees etc were not so strict as I tend to mainly use a gym in the winter when I don't feel comfortable running in the cold, dark and wet. But it is expensive and sometimes I feel cheated at LA fitness in Sydenham as the equipment and classes are so basic and limited compared to other LA Fitness branches.
girl_canuck

Post by girl_canuck »

Bensonby - I'd say that was true for those that you see in the gym, reading a magazine and watching the TV, while slowly peddling away on a stationary bike!! They should have just stayed home!

For me, however, I won't go jogging alone after dark - so it's a safe place for me to go. I also don't have the attention span to do an hour of yoga/pilates by myself, so need to go to a class and be told what to do. I also get much better results from the weight machines than I do with sit ups or press ups - that's just my opinion though.

(Oh - and since I just moved here from Brighton, where most gym memberships are £65/month or more, I think it's a BARGAIN!)