Penge moving ahead of Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mikej

Post by mikej »

parker,
I expect Lidl has suddenly realised that it CAN compete with the likes of Sainsbury's, so it might as well make a little more effort with its shop design. You are right, the Penge Lidl is really nice compared to Sydders... mind you, the one in Beckenham is truly horrible and really cheap, even compared to Sydenham.

Actually, Sydenham would have benefitted from a Wilkinsons. It ain't gonna happen now though.

Dolphin is good, but now Penge has a gastropub too. I forget its name, it's by Homebase.

Even the pound shops are superior in Penge. Poor old Sydders. I hope it will start to fight back, but don't see much sign of it.

It has the Kirkdale bookshop, which Penge can't compete with.
Perhaps we can console ourselves with that.
multisync

Post by multisync »

I beg to differ Penge Lidl is crap compared to Sydenham ,but must admit Penge has Wilkinsons
mikej

Post by mikej »

In whta way do you think it's crap? The main issue I have with the Penge Lidl is that it doesn't have any car parking.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I must admit not been in The Sydenham one for some months as so depressing.

Since Penge one opened shopping in Lidl is good again.

Small baskets as well as large trolleys is a real plus
Staff with a smile and polite talk at checkout
Seems a lot cleaner.

Not sure about Wilkinsons never been in any of their stores, no idea what they stock. Seeing the name I guess knives , razors and garden tools.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Eagle - everything you would have found in Woolworths you can now find in Wilkinsons. Part of the reason for the latter's demise, I think.
Barty

Post by Barty »

Oh and don't forget the swords, Eagle :lol: :lol: :lol:
parker

Post by parker »

Pound Shop Penge :evil:
Last edited by parker on 31 Mar 2009 23:46, edited 1 time in total.
Annie

Post by Annie »

The new £1 shop that has taken over from Woolworths is crap, i made the mistake of popping in there, the shop in our highstreet that has just had a fire is far superior,i just hope it opens up again.The one in penge will not last, the shop is far to big to be able to sustain the shop with the crap they are selling.
parker

Post by parker »

Agreed 8)
Last edited by parker on 31 Mar 2009 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
parker

Post by parker »

Yes Annie!
I agree, was in there today, isnt really much better than the dodgy looking pound shops really, far too big for the amount of toot they have and the whole set up has been done on the cheap. Still see Woolworths fixtures around the shop too.

Mikej,
The main reason why it would be said that Penge has nicer pound shops is that 99p stores opened and that is because of Woolworths, otherwise they're as s*** as Sydenham's, i dont think a Wilkinson's is a sign of an up and coming area, more like the sign of 'times are hard for local residents', i would expect more from Sydenham and as for there being a better Lidl, whether the staff are friendly or not Lidl is a bad sign in the stance of any area wanting a higher class of residents.

Sydenham i believe has higher expectations than Penge and i believe that if Sydenham was run by London borough of Bromley, the high street would be a lot more up and coming than it is now, Sydenham should have had high street investment to enable businesses to invest years ago as it has the potential to be far superior than Penge due to its type of residents, there is a lot of money in Sydenham but Lewisham havent complemented that by spending money on the town.

Penge has had an influx of shops for low income families beacuse that is typical of the people who live in Penge, Sydenham hasnt had that influx because it is in need of a higher class of shops etc, hopefully this will become apparent from next year when the new transport line changes this town.

As for Penge being ahead of Sydenham, i dont think Penge is on the up whatsoever, have look at Lordship Lane and Beckenham High Street, they are what you call up-and-coming and are the complete opposite to Penge -even more so than Sydenham, bloody Penge for crying out loud! M&S, Waitrose, Costa Coffee, etc is what defines a good area that is 'on-the-up', not shops that are in Penge like Wilkinson's, 99p stores and Lidl. Full stop.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Sydenham has had "higher expectations " than Penge since I moved here in 1989. Its never acheived it and untill Lewisham supports some proper regeneration of the High Street and not some talk shops for self publiscising Councillors that go no where the status quo will prevail.

Penge devloped as a working class area and remains so; for all the grandeur given to Sydenham on this site, Sydenham still does not no what it is and untill it defines, it will continue as is. penge and Sydenham are on a par, with Penge having the edge IMHO.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

the 99p shop in Penge is great: 75cl bottles of organic Belvior Presse blood orange and mandarin at less then half the cost for the same in Waitrose
I brought seven bottles.

Oh and the staff at Penge's Gastro pub,The Bridge, are far more switched on then the ones in The Dolphin,(The Dull-frown) amazingly,they seem pleased to see customers.
multisync

Post by multisync »

How can Parker be such a snob? liviing in Sydenham Wells!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

A number of persons have used the terms Working class and middle class.

Not sure what these mean in 2009.

Also some people seem to lump the non working class with the working class. Is this correct or not.

Not trying to be contencious but really do not know the modern meaning.

Went in Penge Lidl about 1 hour ago service really great.
parker

Post by parker »

Multisync,
we all live in SE26, no need to split hairs! Some people just have acquired taste.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree classes have seen their day but some other posters seem to think not.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Penge is a bit of a funny one.

I quite often like to do a particular route when I go to CPP. It involves going to the Blue Mountain then along Sydenham Road; along Trewsbury Road; under the railway on Parish Lane and just meandering around. There are some real hidden gems!

The King William IV Gardens are really lovely and I really like approaching Watermen's Square through Barsons Close - there's a lovely gate and an old pump if I recall correctly. Then it's into the park through Thicket Road. Things do tend to take a bit of a turn for the worse when you go over the other side of the High St (Avington Grove aside).

There's quite a good walk here - points out a few of the worthwhile things to see in Pong.

http://www.london-footprints.co.uk/wkpengeroute.htm

On the point of the Bridge I rarely go in but when I do it seems most people I meet tend to be from Sydenham. Mostly from CPP Road and the Lawrie Park Triangle area. Thicket Road is the border of Penge? Quite a few are from that road.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I live in the lawrie park triangle, and have visited the bridge pub once, but found the staff to be indifferent,its obviously a pub for young people, the food was expensive and the decor was bland, ok the atmosphere was ok and it was good to see families who had been to the park having a meal there, but, the Dolphin has all that and more.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Annie wrote:I live in the lawrie park triangle, and have visited the bridge pub once, but found the staff to be indifferent,its obviously a pub for young people, the food was expensive and the decor was bland, ok the atmosphere was ok and it was good to see families who had been to the park having a meal there, but, the Dolphin has all that and more.
Yes. I've yet to find a pub in the local area that even comes close to The Dolphin in every respect. And I'm ashamed to admit I have tried EVERY SINGLE one.

I'd even go so far as to say I've switched alleigances to The Dolphin from the Dog in Dulwich Village [that's the Crown and Greyhound] - I couldn't pay The Dolphin a higher compliment than that!
poppy

penge

Post by poppy »

I must say that reading these posts comparing Lidls and using this no-frills shop as a barometer of an area's affluence and high street potential is quite amusing! :D