Cinemas

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
fishcox

Cinemas

Post by fishcox »

Am I right in saying that there is not one Cinema in the whole of the Borough of Lewisham ? I know Beckenham isnt too far away, but if it is true, then it is a sad indictment on Lewisham.

As an aside, NatWest could show films in the Sydenham branch; I could have watched the whole of Gone With the Wind, last time I was in there. In fact, I could have watched Ben Hur in the Post Office, too.
annabel mclaren

Cinemas

Post by annabel mclaren »

In reply to fishcox - the only screenings we have within Lewisham now are at the Broadway Theatre, Catford - in fact this Tuesday and Wednesday they are showing Comme Une Image and House of Flying Daggers - much better than the usual multiplex fare! There used to be a film club that met in the Naborhood Centre - does anyone remember it? Late 70s/early 80s - I saw The Missouri Breaks there. On LB Lewisham's website there is info about how to start a film club - in fact, one has recently started in West Norwood (quite a bit about it on Virtual Norwood).
fishcox

cinemas

Post by fishcox »

thanks anabel, i do find it amazing though, that there is not a dedicated cinema in the whole of the borough. again, for entertainment, the old cinema in forest hill, which is now a (very) strange wetherspoons pub, was like a scene from 'one flew over the cuckoos nest', the one and only time i went in. much more entertaining than most films released these days.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

I really hate the lack of cinemas as well. You'd think that with the number of working artists in Lewisham, there'd be a case for a decent rep theatre along the lines of the Ritzy or the Hackney Empire (pre-refurb). Going all the way to Beckenham for a wide-release is irritating, but having to go to Clapham or Brixton for rep is even worse.
Newman

Cinemas

Post by Newman »

I can understand why cinemas in the area closed down (the decline of cinema going in this country during the 70s and 80s and all that), but am surprised that Sydenham or FH don't have a cinema in this day and age. Cinema attendance levels are at record levels, after all. At the moment, I tend to venture in to the west end for my movie fix - you can't beat the pleasure of paying £15 to see the latest releases, I say! I hear that the proposed shopping development in Lewisham will include a cinema, which is a start, I suppose.
royalbet

Re: Cinemas YOU HAD A GREAT CINEMA THE STATE CINEMA .

Post by royalbet »

Newman wrote:I can understand why cinemas in the area closed down (the decline of cinema going in this country during the 70s and 80s and all that), but am surprised that Sydenham or FH don't have a cinema in this day and age. Cinema attendance levels are at record levels, after all. At the moment, I tend to venture in to the west end for my movie fix - you can't beat the pleasure of paying £15 to see the latest releases, I say! I hear that the proposed shopping development in Lewisham will include a cinema, which is a start, I suppose.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

The local film club is called "film on thursday" and is a three miles away in west norwood (two train stations away, forty five minutes jog, or ten minutes in a car)

They have been going for a year and half and you can find out more on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_on_Thursday or their official site http://www.filmonthursday.org/
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

as I posted elsewhere.... there was supposed to be a multi-plex at Bell Green. It was dropped because, it is said, of the proposals (now ditched) for the one at Crystal Palace.

Time for the planners to reimpose the original conditions on Bell Green perhaps?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Film on Thursday is fab, much nicer than going to a standard Odeon!

For starters you can drink at the bar before hand, take a drink in with you and have another drink afterwards. And the drinks are very cheap.

It also gets you out to see some films which might not have been on your must see or blockbusters list, but I haven't been disappointed yet.

Keep an eye out for their special event evenings as they are always superb - we had a fantastic three course meal and a showing of Il Postino all for £10!