Electoral Roll in 1930's and 40's

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Eagle

Electoral Roll in 1930's and 40's

Post by Eagle »

Does anyone know if you can obtain access of the Lewisham records for the above.
If so could they kindly advise whether on line or in a recored office somewhere

Very many thanks
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

They are not available online, Eagle. You will have to visit the Lewisham Local History Centre

If it is just a simple search you need it may be worth emailing them.

Also I'm pretty sure there are no registers for the war years.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Steve
Very many thanks . You are a mine of information. I believe it is in Ladywell.

Due you know when the Victoroan Terrace still there in Venner Road was built.?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Not Ladywell, Eagle, Lewisham town centre. It is on the right of the roundabout with the drystone pyramid structure in the middle.

As for Venner Road, it was laid out in about 1878, and most of it is Victorian or Edwardian. Which terrace do you mean?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for your clarification . I shall visit there.

When you turn into Venner Road from the main road on the left is a long Victorian Terrace from 1 to 27.
This would have been pulled down in the 70's ( same time as the other side of the road ) if not for a major campaign organised by two theatrical gentlemen ( Joe and Raymond ) who lived in the middle of the terrace and had a bust of Shakespeare in the window. They got major names involved which was too much for the then very left wing LBC.
Also Mr Mullace who ran a dress factory in one of the houses was heavily involved.
Unfortunately our house at 31 could not be saved. Nothing wrong with it but the council had decided.
Most amazing house and garden where the Firs are now , which was owned bt The Platt's . Had horses and a cave in the garden going under the road.

As railway came through about 1838 had assumed the terrace more like 1850 than 1878 but I am sure you are right.

Venner road was great before the council destroyed it in the early 70's. All the old houses could have been renovated as proved by those that are left

Steve do you know the origin of the name Venner ?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Eagle, this thread [http://tinyurl.com/czoc9e] has some information on the development of Venner Road.

The road was named and laid out in 1877 and building began a year or so later. 1-27 Venner Road were originally known as 1-14 Grosvenor Terrace (they were re-numbered in 1891). Most of these houses were occupied by 1880.

The road takes its name from William Fenner, who owned land between Newlands Park and Venner Road in the late 18C/early 19C (quite why the “F” was changed to “V” I don’t know).

Incidentally Joe Mitchenson’s mother, Sarah, was living at 5 Venner Road from at least the early 1920s.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Steve
Yes I know about Joe's mother. My grandmother was a friend of hers and often talked about the theatrical memorobilla which covered the whole house including the toilets.
Also next door to us lived Else Codner at 33 a theatrical dresser who knew them very well.
Many stars of the stage in The West End used to visit them in Venner Road
I remember in the late 60's the BBC local news programme Town and Around visited the house and you got a great view of the road with The Tip Top Bakery on the Main Road.
I believe their objects are now in a museum , I know originally went to Beckenham Place Park.

I am surprised the land was untouched until 1870's and next to railway station and 40 years after railway came.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Thanks for that information, Eagle. Facts taken from documents are often rather dry. It is really good to have memories and reminiscences to add life and colour, and often to confirm the facts.
Chris Doran

Post by Chris Doran »

Lewisham only have one pre-WW2 Electoral Roll (1938 or thereabouts), which you have to ask to see. Post-WW2 ERs are on open shelves. If it's Venner Road you're interested in, be aware that 77/90 and up are in Beckenham. Between them, Bromley Local Studies and Beckenham Library have most Beckenham ERs from 1939 on (though neither has a full set) and Bromley has a few scattered years before WW2. If anyone comes across the missing pre-war ones ...

Ancestry say they will be putting up ERs from the London Metropolitan Archives collection, but a search of the LMA's catalogue doesn't reveal that they have any for around here.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks but it is 31 I need to check that is in Lewisham.
I will check the Library.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Steve
When in my first year at Dacres Road , 1960 , for a Commerce lesson we had to go in every shop from Silversale to Mayow asking about the buisness and whether they were a limited company , sole trader etc.
We went in pairs for safety.
I wish I still had the list as would be an accurate details of retail outlets at that time
Fairly certain NO restaurants or take aways.
Amazing Hardware shop just down from current Neighborhood Centre called Boag's . The elderly lady owner seemed quite frightening at the time but probably very nice.
I remember the only shop that told us to get lost was strangely the trendy Record Forum ( I think a motor spares shop there now ) . Owners looked like Mr Rumbold and his assistant , a lady of about 35 with a Helen Shapiro cut , told us to get lost.
Did not stop me shopping there as the only record shop except for few years in upstairs of Boots. It was a joke how she said 6/8d , 13/4d and 1/12/6d ( single , EP , and LP ). Not sure if there was any inflation but these prices stayed for years.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Ah, Eagle, 31 Venner Road is an interesting address.

It was previously known as "The Limes", and the first record I have for it is when Edmund Williams, a solicitor, lived there between about 1883 and 1891. It had a couple of other occupants but from 1901 to 1918 it housed the Sydenham Association for the Care of Friendless Girls.

This group, whose purpose was to "reach out to unmarried mothers, prostitutes and girls who were in danger of being led astray" was formed by a sister of the vicar of St Barts. They opened a home in Fransfield Grove in 1895. In 1901 the home moved to 31 Venner Road, where it continued its work until 1918.

There is some really excellent information about the home at 31 Venner Road here: http://www.lewishamchildren.org.uk/content/view/51/43/
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Hello Steve
This is really very interesting and many thanks. I know my grandparents purchased the house in the 30's , still trying to find the date they moved from Beckenham.
My grandmother said the purchased the house from an Indian doctor.
I know the house was quite big but 26 occupants seems very crowded.
The basement had one large room , plus lage kitchen and a bathroom.
First floor two large rooms plus one small
Second Floor Two large bedrooms , bathroom and toilet
Third floor three rooms plus bathroom.

I appreciate in the 1880's the bathrooms would have been very basic if indeed they existed.

Steve thanks once again.
Chris Doran

Post by Chris Doran »

Kelly's directories for the inter-war years have for No 31:-

1922-24: Frederick James Thearle
1925-26: no entry
1927-34: Mrs Barrett
1935-36: no entry
1937-39: Frank Pentecost

Apropos the theatrical museum, the 1983 Thompson's Directory gives:

5 Venner Road, Raymond Mander & Joe Mitchenson, theatrical museum
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Chris
Yes have this info and electorol rolls very helpful.

Do you know where The Theatrical Museum is now.

I know originally moved to the mansion in Beckenham Place Park in early 70 's when one of them still alive.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The collection is now safely housed in Greenwich, at Trinity College of Music, in the Old Royal Naval College: http://tinyurl.com/dkzch5
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks very much Steve
Sydenham has a debt to Joe and Raymond. Without them all of Venner Road in Lewisham would have been pulled down in the 70's for ugly municipal blocks.
Perhaps ought to be a plaque in their honour on their house.