New Tesco in Kirkdale?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Which Celebrity is Opening the new Tesco. Maybe Lord Bullock or Anne Widdecombe.?

I remember Sydenham's first real supermarket , opened about 72 in what is now Lidl. Was called Wallis's and good old Hughie Green turned up and probably doubled his money.
parker

Post by parker »

Am i right in thinking that Jamie Oliver opened Lidl in Sydenham?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

MikeinDenham wrote: I was thinking more of Caf'e which is further along...
I suspect you and Gaz are talking about the same place - 'Caf'e Asmine' (sic - the 'J' seems to have fallen off!) at 149 Kirkdale. The place next to the Windmill is, I think, the 'Caribbean Queen' (123).
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Aye, I'm afraid that I only know of the Carribean Queen and Cafe Jasmine along this part of Kirkdale - both have their merits! :twisted: :D

I haven't been in Cafe Jasmine for a while (long working hours), so was concerned to see the 'J' was missing. Is the place still trading alright or has it closed? (Why don't they fix it!?).

(I'm not in Denham but around the corner from you, Mike).
MikeinDenham

Post by MikeinDenham »

It's still open as far as I know but have never been in!

I have a feeling something new will open with the arrival of Tesco, I may be wrong but have a hunch.

Who can we appeal to in trying to generate interest in opening a new gastro or cafe?

Plus (off topic) is there a social group who meet up regular in the surrounding area?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Cafe Jasmine is certainly still open and seems to be doing good business; I pass it every morning.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I THOUGHT THIS BLOG WAS ABOUT THE NEW TESCO , BUT WHAT DO I KNOW.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Robin Orton wrote:Cafe Jasmine is certainly still open and seems to be doing good business; I pass it every morning.
That's good to know. :D Hopefully,
Eagle (shouted) wrote:I THOUGHT THIS BLOG WAS ABOUT THE NEW TESCO , BUT WHAT DO I KNOW.
The new Tesco will help the viabilty of this and other businesses along Kirkdale. 8)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

[/quote]Plus (off topic) is there a social group who meet up regular in the surrounding area?

There have been a few occasional meet-ups in local hostelries but I don't know what the demand is for another one - if anyone wants to do another then I would suggest starting a new thread.
[/list]
parker

Post by parker »

The new Tesco will have a FREE Cash machine accessible from the exterior, something that Kirkdale desperately needs, im guessing they will remove the sketchy looking one that charges 80p which is currently just outside rams and indeed the one that charges located inside Ram's.

Also does anyone know what the retail unit of the flats on the corner of Kirkdale and Dartmouth Road is going to be now that we know its not a Tesco, i believe there may have been a proposal on the outside.
Robin Orton wrote:(I see that the retail area under the new flats at 113-119 is on the market for £1m! See http://www.commercialroute.com/property/see/VQ1T2HGP/.)
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

it opens on Wednesday 5th May.
parker

Post by parker »

danstevens wrote:it opens on Wednesday 5th May.
Im presuming you mean Wednesday 6th May, or Tuesday 5th May?
danstevens

Post by danstevens »

sorry yes - I mean Wednesday 6th May.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I can hardly contain by excitement. Guess the will be queue 24 hours in advance.
noangel

Post by noangel »

Eagle wrote:I can hardly contain by excitement. Guess the will be queue 24 hours in advance.
I'm already queuing :lol:
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i looked in this evening and i think other local shops may well be concerned. It looks asthough they will have to 'up their game'

I know it is only the first day, but Tesco had 5 cash tills open to cope with the custom.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Yep, I popped in at 9pm on the way back from work and it was so refreshing to see quality fresh fruit and food on the shelves in a local shop!

Quite a few people in there and plenty of staff about - the people on the tills really impressed with their friendliness. Let's hope they keep the standards up and raises Kirkdale as a whole.
parker

Post by parker »

ALIB wrote:i looked in this evening and i think other local shops may well be concerned. It looks asthough they will have to 'up their game'

Tesco had 5 cash tills open to cope with the custom.
Just what i love to hear!! :D
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

I think I'll pop in this evening. I'm all excited. That can't be right - all pleased about a 'Tescos' opening. Jesus! What has Sydenham done to my soul????

Anyway - you're right - it might make the rest up their game. Good old Blue Mountain still a (slightly overpriced) pleasure to read a paper and I look forward to the day where the view is not of the Greyhound - or 'ironic' dog-art (which isn't bad btw) but a cool bar attracting nice people.

Again - I shouldn't really be having these thoughts ...
dickp

Post by dickp »

Yes, Kirkdale has officially entered the 20th century, with the radical idea of selling non-rotton veg and fresh meat.

Better late than never.