Dumping rubbish around Sydenham.

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Annie

Dumping rubbish around Sydenham.

Post by Annie »

:cry:

Beware! there is some idiot driving a small white van dumping rubbish in sydenham, he very kindly left an old rusty exhaust pipe by the side of my house which we then had to take to the tip.
Shame we didn't manage to get his number plate ................but if there's a next time WE WILL MATEY. :evil:
dickp

Post by dickp »

I wonder if that's the same person who dumped 50 tyres in our car park a few weeks ago, or a truck load of waste a couple of weeks ago.
maestro

Re: Dumping rubbish around Sydenham.

Post by maestro »

Annie wrote::cry:

Beware! there is some idiot driving a small white van dumping rubbish in sydenham, he very kindly left an old rusty exhaust pipe by the side of my house which we then had to take to the tip.
Shame we didn't manage to get his number plate ................but if there's a next time WE WILL MATEY. :evil:

I've also had a big problem with fly-tippers on our property for months now, neither the police or council want to know about it when I have reported the reg. numbers to them as it's private property (they won't even tell me who the vehicles belong to as to do so "contravenes the data protection act"). There's one character in a P reg dark green Ford Maverick 4x4 has dumped sack loads of builders rubble over the last few weeks, also spotted a silver Skoda Octavia estate car, and two or three white transit type vans are also regularly doing it. I pay community charge where I live, but I get no assistance whatsoever from the authorities in stopping these people, it apparently is only a criminal offence if it is done on public property. The filth and mess these cretins leave is utterly disgusting.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:evil: B*****ds
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Be carefull Maestro if you give any more info you will be in court for infringing his human rights.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Maybe they'll do the private property shrug, but I saw this on the subject

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/NewsAndEvent ... ippers.htm
Annie

Post by Annie »

:D
Thanks for that Minfox,If i see the van again i will report it to Lewisham.
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

Not a problem Annie... It winds me up too. There's just no excuse - and driving up and dumping on others' property is indefensible! We have a number of flats which are sublet in our private converted block and everytime people move out I end up having to get rid of whatever people dump by the bins (beds, mattresses, chairs, sofas!!!!!!) Drives me up the wall! I have the council refuse team on speed dial
maestro

Post by maestro »

MiniFox wrote:Not a problem Annie... It winds me up too. There's just no excuse - and driving up and dumping on others' property is indefensible! We have a number of flats which are sublet in our private converted block and every time people move out I end up having to get rid of whatever people dump by the bins (beds, mattresses, chairs, sofas!!!!!!) Drives me up the wall! I have the council refuse team on speed dial
I have exactly the same problem Minifox, I am in a block of ten, seven of which have been sublet (despite the lease clearly stating that you can't sublet). We have an absentee landlord who owns the freehold and who provides no service whatsoever and responds to nothing I've ever written to him (he lives outside of the UK). Every time a tenant moves out we have beds, domestic appliances, old TV's etc. dumped in anticipation that the bin-men will take it away, which they never will, and often they then never empty the bins either if the bins are obstructed by the stuff dumped. Then fly-tippers continually come and dump their stuff here too, it's a total nightmare, and if I don't do anything about it on each occasion then nobody else ever does! We frequently get cars dumped on our premises (there's two here right now), and whilst that Lewisham Council website intimates they're concerned about fly-tipping and willing to help, I can assure you they just don't, unless they're paid to take dumped rubbish away. The police never want to know as soon as they're informed it's private property (they always ask when I report anything so I can't avoid telling them). The best advice I get from the police and the council is "contact your landlord", I did write twice by recorded delivery (concerning the general state of affairs here) to a solicitor who was supposed to represent our landlord, I never even received an acknowledgement!

Eagle, human rights? I'll tell you what I think of their human rights, that green Ford Maverick I mentioned, he has dumped literally tons of stuff on our premises on at least half a dozen occasions, often filling our bins with bricks and rubble so they are too heavy for the bin lorries to pick up, so we then can't get our normal domestic waste collected. The registration number is P288???, I'm so tempted to put the whole number on here (admin, would you allow me to? If yes, I'll edit and post the full number on). He leaves sacks and sacks of builders rubble so he must be a builder by trade , and I doubt very much if ours is the only place he does this at, he also must be fairly local to this area.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Has anyone noticed that the kebab shop on the corner of Kent house road and Sydenham road have dumped their old sign (formerly mega-kebab or burger) on the pavement?

The new sign is no improvement on the old one and unfortunately shows that some businesses really couldn't care less.

Hopefully the new shops opening on the high street such as whoever takes over the old curtain shop will invest in good signage and take pride in their appearance and their environment.
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

Maybe all of these fly tippers were turned away from the Lewisham dump on Landmann Way? I went there last week with some pieces of rubble that came out of my front garden. I was turned away because they suspected that I was a trader - a trader who uses a 3-door Ford Focus to transport rubble and has, for his driver's mate, a young woman wearing sunglasses and a summer dress. When I informed them that I was not a trader and showed them my council tax bill, I was told that I should have called a trader and paid them to take the rubble away. I even phoned the council to complain, but was told the same thing! I'm sad to say I enquired as to the point of paying £100 a month in council tax when I couldn't use the services I wanted to, but I'm even sadder to say that the person on the end of the phone trotted out a load of meaningless stats proving that the council offered value for money - they're obviously well-versed in answering that one. I was tempted to fly-tip the whole lot right outside the town hall, but in the end, I went to Bromley's dump in Beckenham and they allowed me to leave the rubble, plus a sizeable amount of turf, in their skips, no questions asked.

By the way I'm not condoning fly tipping, but Lewisham council isn't exactly helping matters with draconian rules on what can and can't be left at council dumps.
Wing

Post by Wing »

Next time note down the registration number of the culprit's vehicle. If it is a commerical vehicle or the dumped rubbish is commercial waste I believe you can report to the Environment Agency. I have been advised that if the Council refuses to act you could refer the issue to the local council ombudsman.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Wing wrote:Next time note down the registration number of the culprit's vehicle. If it is a commerical vehicle or the dumped rubbish is commercial waste I believe you can report to the Environment Agency. I have been advised that if the Council refuses to act you could refer the issue to the local council ombudsman.
Wing, I had two people come from the environmental team a few weeks ago. Providing a registration number simply wasn't enough, neither was providing precise details of the make/model of vehicle involved, the exact time and date they were seen dumping, or descriptions of the individuals. "It's only your word against his, and he'll just deny he's done it" they told me. What they required was photographic evidence of the actual incident along with photographic evidence of what materials were dumped. That just isn't going to be possible, because the particular area where this happens is not overlooked (which is why they keep doing it) and they usually do it late at night or very early hours of the morning when it's dark. The other problem for me is that I'm just not at the premises all of the time, so I'm totally up against it. The only way we're going to resolve this is by investing many thousands of pounds in securing the whole place, and that will be organised over the coming months (we need planning permission apparently, of course the council will waive the application fee due to the reasons we're forced to do this, won't they!). So that will end our problems which then will just become someone else's, because they'll just find another place around Sydenham to go and dump. And that really isn't the answer to this problem, is it! As Chazza states, this whole situation is created by the local authority who really do nothing to help, and if my community charge was cut by 50% to offset the huge expense I have to go to because of their lack of service (from police, council/environmental team), then fine, but that isn't happening either.
fat_mike

Post by fat_mike »

I've had the same problem with the Tip site in New Cross, there's a youngish African bloke that runs it I think and everytime I go there to offload rubble sacks from renovating my house, he's always interogating and and turning me away, saying that I have to get this commerically disposed of.

So now I just go to the one in West Norwood, they're nicer chaps ofer there, and not a peepout of them, even though it's supposed to be for Lambeth residents :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Maestro
I was being flipant. Never forgive Anthony Blair Esq of bringing in this much abused act.
I regret there is really no solution to this problem under current law.
Honest people like you pay for the council to collect or take to dump. The other section of society do not give a dam . I am sure you know which section the gentleman in question emantes from.
maestro

Post by maestro »

Eagle wrote:Maestro
I was being flipant. Never forgive Anthony Blair Esq of bringing in this much abused act.
I regret there is really no solution to this problem under current law.
Honest people like you pay for the council to collect or take to dump. The other section of society do not give a dam . I am sure you know which section the gentleman in question emantes from.
I had actually recognised your comment as being flippant Eagle, I just seized on it as an excuse to try and get this guys reg number on here (still no consent from admin so I'd better not). I had the environmental team come just after he'd filled our bins with rubble, they were hardly very constructive. "It's not a criminal matter when it's done on private property, you'll have to get your landlord to sue him under civil law" was the best they could come up with, they weren't even interested in looking at what he'd dumped! Neither would they even bother making enquiries as to who the vehicle belonged to and informing me, so how can anybody sue him? Like I say, we'll have to spend the most of £20,000 putting up fencing and automated gates so that fly-tipping and dumped cars are no longer an issue, but that simply makes the problem go elsewhere.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

A sorry state of affairs this is. Unfortunately there isn't a huge amount that really can be done - short of catching them in the act. It's (generally speaking) nothing to do with the police unless it's on a highway.

It's really down to the environment agency, and as you say they don't realy have the resources to robustly investigate it - nor do they have much chance of gaining enough evidence to secure a conviction.

indeed, as has been said - if it's civil matter between the landowner and the dumper if it's on private land. Finding out a car reg is not, unfortunately, definitive proof of someone dumping (For one, I'd hazzard that it would be on false plates) - albeit a line of enquiry. I believe there are ways of finding out registered keepers online....but I'm not sure of how it all works.

What does (appear to) stink is the council's attitude to taking stuff to the dump...
Eagle wrote:Maestro
It's quite clear you have no idea what you are talking about....stop reading the Daily Mail. The Act was already law before it was passed due to the ECHR. In anycase, what, precisely is wrong with it? It's actually a rather nice law...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Bensonby.
You have guessed incorrectly with regard to my reading matter.
Let us beg to differ without getting abusive.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

A photograph or video clip of this disgusting behavior is what's needed. Name and shame. If someone is identified then post details here and their disgusting business can be boycotted.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:?
The problem is Paul, by the time i get out of my chair the van has gone haha,
But i will get a video of them.

But keep your eyes open for one of those small white vans with a pipe holder? on top. sneaking down some peaceful unsuspecting allyway or drive.

They dropped off some more stuff wednesday.
My poor hubby had to take it down the tip. its soooo annoying.
Lazy people.