LADY METROS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
shorty

LADY METROS

Post by shorty »

Has anybody visited the new gift shop based in the old Lady Metros unit (next to the Peppermint Designer kids store)?

Apparently it sells lots of funky items for the house as well as designer jewellery etc. My missus (who knows much more about this sort of thing than me!), says it's the sort of shop that wouldn't look out of place in Lordship Lane!

Maybe we've got another potentially welcome addition to the high street which needs our support?

:D [/b]
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Hmm, thanks Shorty for passing on this info about the new addition to the high street. I think I'll certainly take a stroll up to this new gift shop. I've always thought that Syders high street lacked a tasteful gift shop (as well as a funky Tapas bar but who knows?) It's certainly needed on the high street as I'm always looking for lovely gifts and tend to go up to Beckenham, Bromley or CP.
user100

Post by user100 »

Any interest to declare Shorty?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

A gift shop , that is all we need. Guess 99.9% imported so great news for British workers.
How about a greengrocer , much more important.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I think a gift shop is badly needed. Like tulip1 I find myself having to go to Crystal Palace or East Dulwich if I want to buy a gift for someone, its a right drag. I can't think of one place you could buy a decent gift on the high street, unless you get them a book.
shorty

Post by shorty »

No - just a desire to see a high street that has good quality shops other than the plethora of hairdressers, pound shops and nail bars that we are becoming used to!
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Oh dear. I popped into the gift shop today after work and none of the stuff was my cup of tea at all. Not really aimed at my kind of market or for my friends for that matter.

I think the items (which actually from a distance seemed to be quite nicely made)there are really aimed at a 4-8 year old very girlie market. Nothing really seemed aimed at the adult male/female market. It's fab if you have little girls who love all things pink and sparkling and sickly sweet pretty. Or for those adult women who have a taste for airy fairy pinky sickly treacly bits of clutter (you get the drift). Not for me although I'm sure this stuff will appeal to some. :(
shorty

Post by shorty »

Oh dear. I popped into the gift shop today after work and none of the stuff was my cup of tea at all. Not really aimed at my kind of market or for my friends for that matter.

I think the items (which actually from a distance seemed to be quite nicely made)there are really aimed at a 4-8 year old very girlie market. Nothing really seemed aimed at the adult male/female market. It's fab if you have little girls who love all things pink and sparkling and sickly sweet pretty. Or for those adult women who have a taste for airy fairy pinky sickly treacly bits of clutter (you get the drift). Not for me although I'm sure this stuff will appeal to some.
I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter which probably explains why it appealed to my wife!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Eagle - we've got a greengrocers. It's called 'Fresh & Fruity'.
sophie

Post by sophie »

I still miss all the Fairtrade gifts the pet shop used to sell back in the 90s. Can't believe it's over 10 years ago now but I used to buy brilliant cards and jewellery there for pressies.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Do fresh and fruity sell organic? It doesn't look like it.
Belle

Post by Belle »

I popped in on Saturday, and found it a bit on the girlie side too! It was mostly Gisela Graham products if anyone's familiar with that. There were some gems hidden in there, if you can see beyond the pink haze! Like some lovely applique cushions, perfect for a nursery/child's room. I spoke to the owner who said she'd been open for a month. I told her I'd only noticed it this week as I'd gone past on the bus. She said to keep popping in, as she's getting new stock in all the time, and will be getting more boy's stuff!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Anyone know what it's called?

If its been open a month they still have no sign, so It's no wonder no-one realizes they are there!

What if...
shorty

Post by shorty »

leenewham wrote:Anyone know what it's called?

If its been open a month they still have no sign, so It's no wonder no-one realizes they are there!

What if...
The old Lady Metros signage came down about a week ago to be replaced with the current black hoarding. I therefore guess that they're in the process of getting a sign made up.

There still maybe time for you to get some ideas to them Lee......!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'm still not sure what they do!

Any ideas for a name?

I'll start it off (make sure it's short!):
1. Giftbox
clarkj

Post by clarkj »

Shorty thank you very much for this interesting information. I guess my girlfriend would love to visit the shop. She is absolutely addicted to shopping and if the shops are closed she ]oves to go online and check the stores there. I guess we will soon visit this new store. If you have more suggestions where we can go shopping don't hesitate to post it here. At least she would love it.