Somerfield

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
poppy

Somerfield

Post by poppy »

Instead of just moaning on here why don't some of us email them with ideas:
http://www.somerfield.co.uk/contactus/index.asp

I have done in the past...
multisync

Post by multisync »

If some people on this forum are so fond of East Dulwich,why not pay the house prices or rental they charge.The they could go to Moxons,William Rose or"Somerfield".After all W.Park is only just around the corner and they wouldn't have to go in the other direction and rough it in Penge
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

multisync wrote:If some people on this forum are so fond of East Dulwich,why not pay the house prices or rental they charge.The they could go to Moxons,William Rose or"Somerfield".After all W.Park is only just around the corner and they wouldn't have to go in the other direction and rough it in Penge
I did think that multisync but then wondered if they were just making a comparison as like-for-like. Anyway, I looked to buy in East Dulwich before plumping for here and I must admit I didn't find it much cheaper to buy here at all. If anything a great many of the roads here in Sydenham are more expensive, in my experience. I plumped for Sydenham as it's hilly and beter connected.

Anway, must not go off topic. Somerfields...I rarely, if ever, shop in there but did decide to check out (pun intended) the newly revamped store. I agree that they have not gone far enough. I'd rather they had shut it down for a spell and gutted it. The ceiling and flooring are the main issues. Sure some nice new fridges and slightly more modern check-outs but to me they've just put lipstick on a pig. Rather than use the space that the bakery used to occupy they've just put some fridges in front of it.

That's the thing with Somerfield. I'm not anti them per se but they seem to have a monopoly on truly horrid stores. I can only think of one nice one and thats the one on the South Circular - it's under some modern flats if I remember correctly and I think it is just after Battersea Rise (near to a rail bridge)...

Anyway, if anyone thinks the E.Dulwich one is any indicator of perceived affluence of an area they'd do well to think on the West Greenwich Somerfield (by the Rail Station). That has to be one of the worst.

Still - they do have half-price Valpolicella at £3.79 a bottle in 'our' one so I stocked up on that! I think it's the same one as you get in Pizza Express.
tulip1

Post by tulip1 »

Cathy wrote:I've just been into the 'new look' Somerfield and I thought it was great, brighter, cleaner, more stock, wonderfully laid out, spacious - massive improvement :D get's my thumbs up, definitely will use on a regular basis from now on :D :D
Ditto the above! Plus I love all the fab bargains on essential items and BOGOFFS. Well done Somerfield :D :D
parker

Post by parker »

Somerfield at East Croydon - George Street is now a Waitrose, ..yes a Waitrose in Croydon, who'd have thought it.

I really wish Sydenham's Somerfield would become one, as much as i realise East Croydon is far different to Sydenham i think Sydenham would have the roughly the same reasons as East Croydon to become a Waitrose what with middle class professionals using Sydenham Station in the way of East Croydon. It really surprised me to see it and apparantly a lot of people wrote to Waitrose wanting them to open in Croydon, i suppose they were just waiting for the right location to become free and its apparantly doing very well.

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/4 ... n_Croydon/

I know its a long shot but how hard would it be to ask them to consider Sydenham, if maybe not just yet then perhaps after the street improvements and ELL arrive, it may be worth it. I dont think much of the 'new' Somerfield, it isnt really much different to what it used to be, i hope someone like Waitrose could step in if not at least the Co-op should sort out the place regarding the derelict bakery area covered up with fridges, the store lighting and flooring.

Waitrose have opened up a lot of smaller stores since the closure of Woolworths in places like Chiswick, Muswell Hill and Clapham Junction, and as much as i know Sydenham does not fit into the category of those locations, are we really that far off the mark? ...i can see Sydenham developing progressing a lot faster than we'd think and perhaps it wouldnt be too long before shops like Waitrose coming to Sydenham actually becoming a reality.

There are many good reasons for them to look into Sydenham, i feel that if we tell these company's what we think, they will have acquisition departments that could look into Sydenham and liase with the council - if not right now then for the near future, also its not like the rents in Sydenham are as expensive as some these other mentioned post codes in london as of yet.

customer_service@waitrose.co.uk
MiniFox

Post by MiniFox »

I am stunned. That Somerfield (like most of Croydon) was vile... I am stunned Waitrose have opened there... I agree - I cant believe the demographic would be all that different. Amazed
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Somerfield in Sydenham will almost definitely become a co-operative. I would welcome a Waitrose though, but a lot of people I know who are Waitrose buyers either go to Beckenham or buy online through Ocado.

The new Waitrose Essentials range is very good though. I'd shop for at least some stuff there. Waitrose is like going to Tesco and only buying Finest products (except generally there isn't much that is Finest about Tesco Finest!).
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

leenewham wrote:Somerfield in Sydenham will almost definitely become a co-operative. I would welcome a Waitrose though, but a lot of people I know who are Waitrose buyers either go to Beckenham or buy online through Ocado.

The new Waitrose Essentials range is very good though. I'd shop for at least some stuff there. Waitrose is like going to Tesco and only buying Finest products (except generally there isn't much that is Finest about Tesco Finest!).
Except maybe the labels on their olive oil...?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No, even that wasn't great!! Not one for the portfolio, although it was fun smuggling some wedding pics into it!

Slightly sidetracking, years ago I designed an annual report for an Arab bank. Just before it was about to go to print I got a worried call from the client asking to pull an image from one of the pages.

In the background on one of the pictures someone had a polaroid of a naked arse pinned to their wall. Don't ask me why.

I so wish they hadn't noticed.