Where has all the traffic gone?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Where has all the traffic gone?

Post by simon »

After weeks of gridlock, not being able to turn into or out of my street and Sydenham Road, having to go to Upper Norwood via Penge and Dulwich via Forest Hill, the traffic on Sydenham Raod has disappeared!
I had assumed with Westwood Hill and Kirkdale being closed it would have been even worse than last week but the closure has obvipously been flagged up elsewhere. Now many were using the Mayo Road diversion and Bell Green was tranquil during the evening rush so I can only think Sydenham is being given a wide birth by lots of through traffic from the South Circular.
Are other roads such as the South Circular now gridlocked instead? Where is all that traffic?
Willy

Post by Willy »

I think it's because the traffic is one way on Kirkdale (coming into Sydenham) and one way on Westwood Hill (leaving Sydenham) so we are not seeing all the traffic backed up waiting for traffic lights to get past the roadworks.
simon

Post by simon »

I'm not sure about that Willy. But if that is the case lets have that system for ever!
Willy

Post by Willy »

I'm not sure about that Willy. But if that is the case lets have that system for ever!
Hmm, not sure that's such a good idea! It's difficult to remember what the traffic should be like as the roadworks seem to have been going on forever.

It sort of worries me that after Thames Water have finished digging the place up, Lewisham will probably start their improvement work, so there will be disruption for a while yet.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised that Kirkdale and Wells Park Road were so quiet at 1830 this evening. I was expecting the Kirkdale diversion at Cobbs corner was going to take the trafffic up Jews Walk or Wells Park Rd but it must instead be directing it up Syd Hill.

It is depressing, though, having the roads and pavements in a perpetual state of holes, trenches and plastic covers!

And... the boogers have dug up the traffic island on the corner of Kirkdale/Wells Pk Rd which means you now have to walk across 3/4 'lanes width' of traffic to get across! Not a safe junction, methinks.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Simon
South C always gridlocked.
DanW

Post by DanW »

Gaz wrote:And... the boogers have dug up the traffic island on the corner of Kirkdale/Wells Pk Rd which means you now have to walk across 3/4 'lanes width' of traffic to get across! Not a safe junction, methinks.
Gaz, I reported that island removed by Thames Water to Lewisham Council about 6 weeks ago and it was supposed to be re-instated. People really cut the corner here now, and usually pretty quickly if they're coming down Kirkdale and turning right into Wells Park Rd.

If anyone else wants to report it to Lewisham this is the webform you need:

http://www2.lewisham.gov.uk/lbl/transpo ... t_info.asp
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Willy wrote:
Hmm, not sure that's such a good idea! It's difficult to remember what the traffic should be like as the roadworks seem to have been going on forever.

It sort of worries me that after Thames Water have finished digging the place up, Lewisham will probably start their improvement work, so there will be disruption for a while yet.[/quote]

Err, not exactly. Then the gaspipe replacement work starts along the Length of Sydenham Road (probably in a few weeks time).
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I spend a lot of my working day driving around the borough....I must say traffic around the periphery of Sydenham and in Forest hill was utterly awful today. Whilst sydenham road was clear (apart from the works) all the rat runs around were clogged up.

At around 1100 Jews walk was bumper to bumper as was Dartmouth Rd. The South Circular was tailed back right along its length...but nothing new there.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

DanW wrote:
Gaz wrote:And... the boogers have dug up the traffic island on the corner of Kirkdale/Wells Pk Rd which means you now have to walk across 3/4 'lanes width' of traffic to get across! Not a safe junction, methinks.
Gaz, I reported that island removed by Thames Water to Lewisham Council about 6 weeks ago and it was supposed to be re-instated. People really cut the corner here now, and usually pretty quickly if they're coming down Kirkdale and turning right into Wells Park Rd.

If anyone else wants to report it to Lewisham this is the webform you need:

http://www2.lewisham.gov.uk/lbl/transpo ... t_info.asp
Thanks for posting that link, Dan. The only reason I can think that they wouldn't reinstate it would be to accomodate the double-deckers that run the 202 route occassionally - not a good enough reason to leave it as it is though!