WHIMSY

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
paultreacy

WHIMSY

Post by paultreacy »

Today I happened upon three wonderful young women in Crystal Palace Park with a delightful flair for whimsy; Sydenham Shots.
See you next time.
Paul Treacy
Barty

Post by Barty »

So what's whimsy?

The latest teenage girl craze of wearing strange brightly coloured stripey socks and matching hair decorations along with black leggings and a frilly tutu to go out on a Saturday night, or something else as well??!!?!?!
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

"playfully quaint or fanciful behavior or humor"

http://sydenhamshots.co.uk
Barty

Post by Barty »

Just proves that you learn something new every day :) And he who thinks he knows everything proves how little he knows!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I don't mean to stir up trouble but I think you should think twice before asking three relatively young girls if you can take their picture. It may invite all sorts of consequences.

I know your intentions were good though Paul.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Oh come on! That kind of paranoia and suspicion is quite pathetic. I'm sick of it, quite frankly.

Just appreciate it for what it is. A picture celebrating youthful, creative expression.

What is going on in this society? I was away for six years and on my return I sense a profound change throughout society. People are consumed by worst case scenario thinking, paranoia and suspicion. It's all rather disturbing and utterly exhausting. It blinds people to the simple pleasures of life.

These three were utterly delightful. What harm in wanting to share that with people?

Besides, I didn't "take" anything. I simple made a picture of them.

http://sydenhamshots.co.uk
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

In fact, it was a collaboration.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Anyone else disturbed by this?
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I'm not disturbed by it. I take the odd photo myself and, as a general rule, I tend to think that if someone is happy to do something in public, they probably won't have a problem with someone taking a photo of it, unless the photographer is being aggressive or harrassing.

I mean, the girls in Paul's shots were clearly posing for them and I dare say that he mentioned his intention to publish them on his website... Paul?

On the subject of things changing in the past few years, I think this is just a symptom of the general hysteria which the current government and media have whipped up in order to keep society in a state of constant fear, to make us easier to govern. One example of this is my experience at the hands of the police earlier this year.

I was on the Millennium Bridge, taking night-time photos of St. Pauls. I had been there for at least ten minutes when two police officers began to cross the bridge from the north. I stopped shooting, as I didn't want them in my shots. When they got to me, they asked me what I was doing taking photos of them and told me that it was against the law to take photos of a police officer. I replied that I hadn't taken any photos of them and I was just taking photos of the architecture. They asked me why I wanted photos of the bridge, saying that they could take my camera from me if they wanted. I really didn't want to give them the satisfaction, so I ended up showing them all the shots I'd taken. Eventually, they went on their way.

That wouldn't have happened five years ago.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

They have no right to confiscate anything. Nor do they have the power to insist on deletion of photos. Most cops are poorly informed on photographers' rights.

I've been in similar situations and I've simply but politely stated that being on a public highway in an open democracy, I'm well within my rights to be doing what I'm doing and that I'm no threat to anyone and would they please let me continue. Always works.

Best,
Paulyman.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

There's nothing wrong in asking someone for their photograph. If Paul was covertly taking photographs there's a moral discussion there but it's ridiculous to infer anything else.

I've posted this before but Chazza have a read of the Photographers rights guide
http://www.sirimo.co.uk/2009/05/14/uk-p ... rights-v2/
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I think we've started off on the wrong footing Paul.

I personally and I'm sure every other member of this forum am sure that your photo is exactly what it is....a photograph.

You're right in saying that society has changed for the bad concerning taking an innocent picture of a small child and any other pleasant contact with children that you're a stranger to. However you still have to take this change into consideration. Take this senario. The girls get home and one of their parents ask them what they did that day "Oh nothing much, but this nice man took a picture of us" , "Oh really, who was he?" , "I don't know...he was just really nice and asked to take our picture and said he was going to put it on his website". I can imagine that in some parents heads alarm bells will start to ring.
Barty

Post by Barty »

I think Ronski's put it very well. If your subject is aware they are being photographed (or if spontaneity is an issue, your subject is made aware after the event that they have been photographed) and is okay with it, everyone else should be okay with it.

For the record, though, Paul, I completely agree with your sentiments about what society has become. I think that, as well as teaching our children how to look after themselves and what kind of situations they should be wary of, we should also be teaching our children that very few strangers they will come across in their life intend to harm them.
stellaashtray

Post by stellaashtray »

I think you will find this forum a little more serious than the whimsy of the East Dulwich Forum
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

I gave the youngsters my card with all my contact details.

I love how this forum is so interactive. I'm learning a lot.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Then in that case Paul you acted accordingly. It's just that judging by your original post your actions seemed a bit risky.
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

Okay but my intention was only to show the picture as none of the other issues around the picture should be of any concern to anyone else. That's my point. It's no one else's business whether or not I supplied my contact details.

Anyway, that's enough.

I did get a very disturbing comment from an anonymous poster pertaining to my Lawrie Park Road accident post. I published it anyway.
crimson1

Post by crimson1 »

Well paultreacy, for what it's worth, I think the photos are lovely and reflect the spirit of London life. The girls were good sports! The cat burglar pics are particularly charming! Do hope you have an exhibition at the sydenham arts festival that's coming up. :D
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

paultreacy wrote: I did get a very disturbing comment from an anonymous poster pertaining to my Lawrie Park Road accident post. I published it anyway.
I do like your photos, Paul; however, I did find your comment about being contacted with details of the accident as you are 'curious' was a bit ghoulish. I'd imagine that the poor bloke's family and friends are grieving heavily and that to them it's a private matter.