Kente coffee shop - one of life's nice things

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenhamboy

Kente coffee shop - one of life's nice things

Post by sydenhamboy »

Just reminding people what a nice place Kente is. Really good coffee and snacks, and on a sunny day extrememly pleasant out the back away from the traffic.

Apart from his blue/yellow sign everything else is all quite dignified and nicely done.

I'm not on commission or anything - just thought I'd mention it.

Bearing in mind what that premesis could have been (hearing the discussions about Kirkdale) I think we did well. We just need more like it .. another nice bar, a delicatessen, I wouldn't mind to see a mini sainsbury's or small M&S where the old 7/11 was near the post office. Sydenham keeps on getting little nice mentions in Time Out btw. I still think a small cafe in Mayow Park wouldn't go amiss.
Richie

Post by Richie »

here here! I went for a drink in Kente for the first time this weekend and it was a lovely little place, well priced. All I would say is that maybe a little non-intrusive background music would be nice as, despite the fair number of people in there, it was very quiet.

Next a nice bar would be nice- in fact al luit would need if for Kente or the Blue Mountain to get a licence and open later.
DanW

Post by DanW »

Long overdue, but hopping off at Sydenham station on Saturday afternoon me and MrsW eventually tried Kente - we'll definitely be going back too. The guy running it (and the other staff) were very nice, then there's the tucked-away garden out the back, and v good coffee. The Portugese custard tarts weren't half bad either. And really good value!! A local gem.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I totally agree. I visit 2 to 3 times a week and George and his staff really friendly.

Much better than the awful Blue Hill up the road which is more expensive , uncomfortable seating and music ( i use that word loosely ) for the benefit of the staff , not the customers.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

I had lunch there for the first time today with a friend and it was really great value:

1 baguette (prawn and avocado), 1 round of smoked salmon and cucumber sandwiches, a ginger beer and a cup of tea for £6.60! :D
sean

Post by sean »

Even after about 4 visits this place is getting better and better and still great value.

This and Sugahill still are top of the cafes.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Kente is very friendly, as is Sugahill. I still prefer the food in Blue Mountain, though.

I do wish they would all sort out their coffee, which has degenerated into cups of warm milk with a faint coffee flavour. :(
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not sure is you are having a go at the coffee in Kente ( hard to believe ) or Blue Mountain ( not surprising )

My main gripes with the Mountain are
1. Very uncomfortable seating
2. So called music to the tastes of the staff not the clientelle.

Kente is Great
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I must admit the last time I went in 'Sugahill' it was trading as Zucker. Tells you how long ago that was. I much preferred the previous name - especially as it is German for sugar. :wink:

I like Kente, a lot. I've been in many times and it's mercifully getting busier. No doubt the removal of the roadworks outside helped this? It was a pretty poor 'outlook' for a while there!

As for BM you might like to know Eagle that last time I was in there (2 weekends ago) they were playing classical music. Out of interest, if you thought the music was too loud (and it can be, I know) did you ask them to turn it down? I have before, and they did. Not the classical music, might I add but some R&B...ear bleeding stuff in noise and musical merit. They've also removed that silly bench seating by the window that faced out onto the road.

Personally I'm in Kente and BM all the time. It's a godsend to have places to go and take people that are decent - along with the Dolphin, of course.

I've yet to try Trattoria Raffaele and Sugahill but they seem to get good write-ups from most.

Out of interest, I used to go to That's Amore all the time when there was no alternative. Not for some years now. Does the owner still sing 'That's Amore' Ad nauseum?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Ulysees
About 1 year ago went in BM about 10.00 am on a Sunday and was the first customer.
They had loud rap on which I ask politely for them to turn down and they gave me very strange looks.
Classical would be good but also not too loud.
BM also seems to attract nannies and posh mothers with babies and children under 5. When I have been there they seem to ignore the little darlings.
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

I'm sorry to hear that Eagle. I really am. I don't know if it's the same people as now but a few weeks/months ago they were playing the most beautiful cover of 'This Womans Work' by Kate Bush. The lady I asked didn't know who it was but it was...haunting. Almost as good as the original.

Of late the music has been turned down a lot more. Which is a blessing. And the genre is much more fitting, in my experience.

I was in there a few weeks back and a 'baby shower' was in progress. Not that's loud! How many times can roughly 20 women coo louder than concorde at yet another pair of pink bootys?

Anyway, you seem more than happy with your alternatives. I guess I'm saying that some of the problems with BM [2 doors, lack of decent seating, poor set-out of deli goods and music] seem to have been put right since you were last in.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Much appreciate your comments Ulysees.

As you say happy with Kente but nice to know BM now more customer friendly.
Julsb

Post by Julsb »

Eagle, I was having a go at all our local cafes over the state of their insipid coffee. Serves me right for getting addicted to Monmouth's brew, really.