North vs South?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Big Ben

North vs South?

Post by Big Ben »

Anyone got any thoughts on North London as opposed to South?
leaf

Post by leaf »

south london is nicer!!

what more to be said?

why do you ask?
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Money is collected in the South. It is spent in the North (of London).

Take, for example, the Underground. Barely represented in South London while there is a comprehensive network North of the river. The bulk of its costs are funded by subsidy.

Sure! We are going to be included on the "network" but only by running trains on BR lines.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

South is better. And I should know, I was born and bred in North London so really I am a traitor.
Anyone else doing the North v South Run London 10k? I'll be running for South London so see you there and hopefully prove we're best.
kster

Post by kster »

When I was in my twenties I did flirt with the idea of moving North, and looked at a number of places in Islington, Angel and the like. I was partly put off by the number of places that had steel doors and bars on all the windows (which suggests a crime problem that is significantly worse than Sydenham’s). Price and the number of pretentious tw@ts didn’t help either. But at the end of the day I just didn’t like the feel of the place.

Here in South London we have a nice road where most people know each other and get along. That makes more of a difference to your quality of life than any amount of coffee shops or posh bars (but I still would like to see a decent gastro pub open up).

Juwlz, I too have entered the Nike 10k, although now that I have started training, I’m now thinking that to do my bit for South London I should be running for the north….
randomv

Post by randomv »

Well as I'm in the process of making the move north to south I'm not sure how qualified I am as yet!
When we were first looking at properties in CP and Sydenham, I was genuinely shocked that the ground and basement flats don't have grills. When you look at the London crime figures per borough it's hardly surprising though. I live in a supposedly good area but it's surrounded by sh1tholes. Finsbury Park, Holloway, Archway, Stoke Newington, Dalston, Caledonian Road..None of these are places you'd want to walk around after dark yet they have the cachet (and property prices) of being in North London
The general reaction to my move is an irony-free "why?" People up here seem to think the whole of South London is by definition rough. I probably used to be one of them. The reaction of some of the people I know to my move was v disappointing and showed a real narrow-mindedness.
Having said that, I think it works both ways as in my experience people down south seem to think we're all pretentious coffee-swilling sushi addicted media whores up north.
I'll be back with my experiences of North Vs South in a few months!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

You seem to be misspelling the word 'sarf', and, for that matter, the word 'norf'.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

"Having said that, I think it works both ways as in my experience people down south seem to think we're all pretentious coffee-swilling sushi addicted media whores up north.
I'll be back with my experiences of North Vs South in a few months"

Interesting point randomv. Welcome to South of the River! Truth be told, however, there are many of us here who hold a rather more disparaging view of those "Norf' a the Riva'". Namely that their judgement is clouded by the traffic pollution allied to the fact that it's a concrete jungle filled with low-earning types over there. Each to their own however. When friends come to visit they're spellbound by the views and the walk through the woods etc, etc. They love it BUT they freely admit that whilst where they live in Camden is a dirty, polluted, noise-ridden drug den they find Sydenham just too leafy and quiet ! They go stir-crazy with the open spaces down here ! I like Sydenham alot and have been here 5 years. Without bragging my income is such that I could afford to live anywhere in London - I choose to live here as I really like it - and those air-conditioned trains we now have are a little different from the tube in the Summer?!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

In my experience people who grew up in London love the town but aspire to live somewhere a bt greener. That's why all the Londoners live round the ede of London. They still want to work in town and enjoy the things the city has to offer but don't necessarily want the grit. People who insist on living in Camden and all such grotty 'urban' places are never from London. They are usually from the countryside or abroad, and think that if they're not surrounded by concrete they're not in London.
Juwlz

SOUTH IS BEST IT'S OFFICIAL

Post by Juwlz »

Well, after taking part in the Nike 10k in Hyde Park it wasn't looking good for the south - at the time I left the park the north were winning by an average of only 2 seconds. But after returning from this afternoon's fascinating walk round Sydenham I thought the day couldn't get any better - but I was wrong - I just got back and have discovered that THE SOUTH WON!!! WE ARE OFFICIALLY THE BEST!!!! see this link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6031775.stm
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Congrats Juwlz! :D We're all proud of you!! 8) It was certainly a good day all round... Good luck with the difficult week ahead; hope it all goes well and doesn't get you down...