Bell Green Public Inquiry

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
kster

Post by kster »

Global Thinker. The high streets that are thriving don't have the regulation butcher, baker, tinker, tailor that they used to in yesteryear. They have moved on and supply goods that aren't available in the out of town establishments.

Check out the organic butcher (William Rose) on Lordship Lane as an example - you can't get that sort of quality meat in Sainsburys (or any supermarket), which is why there is always a queue out of the door. People go there because they want to buy something from it and not because they are just passing through.

You can't protect poor quality shops by denying people choice. The good shops on the high street will survive and prosper because people will go there for what they sell and they way that they sell it. People will continue to go to Kirkdale Bookshop despite there being a Homebase at Bell Green.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Agreed people go to Kirkdale Bookshop because it is a great shop, that doesn't mean that a Homebase in Sydenham is a good idea. Spare a thought for the residents who will have to contend with increased traffic flow. My road is currently being used as a rat run by maniacal drivers who don't seem to understand what a give way sign is, if this development goes ahead it will only get worse.

What use is there in my "protecting poor quality shops and denying people choice?" you have choice Bromley Road or Penge and if a shop is not customer friendly or serving a purpose I agree it should close.

Leaf - if you don't want to be ripped off then don't shop at Homebase, go a wholesaler, Homebase is a convenience store albeit a rather large one.
kster

Post by kster »

you have choice Bromley Road or Penge
Homebase is, as I'm sure you know, one of several units to be built there. So choice extends to the other services that will be provided. After all, if it was just Homebase and that was such a bad idea because there are 2 so close, then nobody will go there and you have nothing to worry about - traffic and the high street will remain the same. If people choose to go there in stead of Penge or Bromley Road (as you suggest) then that isn't going to affect the shops on the high street. The “overall” traffic should be less, as people will only go there if it is closer than the other two.
Spare a thought for the residents who will have to contend with increased traffic flow.
I still don't get this argument, more traffic is because more people coming to the area = more local jobs = a better Sydenham in the long term.

Your issue should be with traffic management, i.e. stopping people using your road as a rat run, reversing the many measure that the council put in to slow down the traffic flow, improving junctions and the like. Are you all for the area remaining derelict? Any development; retail, cinema, science park, etc will all involve increased traffic.
leaf

Post by leaf »

GLOBAL THINKER

i dont know of any wholesalers that i can get the bus home from,my needs are small also hardly warrants wholesale.

i am an on foot customer,im sure i wont be the only one,but this flattens the pollution arguement so its easier to ignore my needs i suppose.
Knighton

Post by Knighton »

Sydenham's traffic problems are nothing to do with businesses setting up in the area. They are entirely due to:

1. Through traffic which ought not to be using a minor road.

2. Deliberate steps taken by the local authority to hinder traffic flow.

3. Bad design which attracts through traffic.

4. Bad and unimaginative use of inappropriate "traffic-calming" measures which actually create substantial hazards, damage vehicles, obstruct ambulances, increase pollution (especially particles most likely to provoke cancers) etc.

Local suppliers established at Bell Green will mean less traffic flow.

The problem is the Sydenham Society is dominated by the vested interests of the tuppenny-halfpenny traders of Sydenham Road.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

kster wrote:Global Thinker. The high streets that are thriving don't have the regulation butcher, baker, tinker, tailor that they used to in yesteryear. They have moved on and supply goods that aren't available in the out of town establishments.

Check out the organic butcher (William Rose) on Lordship Lane as an example - you can't get that sort of quality meat in Sainsburys (or any supermarket), which is why there is always a queue out of the door. People go there because they want to buy something from it and not because they are just passing through.

You can't protect poor quality shops by denying people choice. The good shops on the high street will survive and prosper because people will go there for what they sell and they way that they sell it. People will continue to go to Kirkdale Bookshop despite there being a Homebase at Bell Green.
Brilliant post and exactly what high streets will have to do to survive. We need more places like the Kikdale bookshop thatare unique to teh area and help form a sense of community (I DON'T mean we need more bookshops!)