Looking for an old CP thumnail from an Ebay auction...

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Looking for an old CP thumnail from an Ebay auction...

Post by Falkor »

It was probably sold in 2005/2006 with a decent sized thumbnail showing one of the upper series of fountains with a reflection of the Crystal Palace in the water (probably the north transept; cannot remember exactly). I had it, but lost it. :cry:

I know its a bit of a long shot, but any help would be much appreciated!
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

This is the only image I can think of, an early postcard by Photochrom

You can thank me later . . . .
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Thanks for your reply Terry. That is a nice picture, but unfortunately isn't the one. The photo was more rough looking, like it had a card backing with a few minor creases. I seem to recall it was either the 1st or 2nd fountain nearest to the north wing, like the fountain in your view above, but was looking towards the Aquarium. Again, it was attached to an old Ebay auction.
tulse hill terry

Mmm . . . This is the only other image I can think of which matches the description.

All else I can think of is a rather creased photo, which showed the fountains you described, but no reflections and no Aquarium.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

The one above is the same angle as the one you posted before, but the one I saw was looking 90 degrees in 1 dimension towards the North Transept and Wing, but the Aquarium was not visible because of the other dimension looking mainly into the water with a brilliant mirror image of north end of the palace and also that small "circular crown jet" with excellent mechanical detail. Thanks for looking anyway. Maybe you weren't paying too much attention to Ebay around 2005/2006? I wasn't checking much either and only had a small collection of photos on my computer, including that fantastic view of the upper fountain.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

It's very much like this one in terms of angle, but different fountain and closer to the palace:
tulse hill terry

That image, which I must have posted ages ago, was the only other one that comes to mind.

I've checked the ebay listings for "Crystal Palace" daily since January 2004, and just don't recall anything like you describe, it would certainly have stuck out.

I know what you mean about losing images. I cannot find a copy of a watercolour, showing the Parade side of the Palace, by Jean Louis Petit (French, 1795-1876) that came up for sale that year. He was a colleague of Philip Henry Delamotte, at the time he returned to photograph the Palace again, for the Crystal Palace Art Union. It went for just over £100.00

And I can't find any of my photos of the huge hole created by the LDA a few years back, they must have gone with my old hard drive.

Don't get me started on the Royal Mail, their must be over 20 items. I've bought via ebay, that I've never seen before or since, that just disappeared thanks to the Royal Mail.

It's amazing anything remains, during the First World War everyone was odered to hand in all their postcards to be recycled for the war effort, and if a 1911 sale catalogue hadn't been donated to the Norwood Society, it was going in the bin!
Last edited by tulse hill terry on 22 Nov 2009 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

The only Parade Watercolours I know is
1) Baxter
2) one hanging up in the Crystal Palace Museum
3) This one, which appears on Norwood Past front cover:

Ken Kiss has all the excavation photos from the recent Molas digs if that's what you mean by huge hole?
tulse hill terry

I think 1 and 3 are coloured prints.

Ill make a sketch of the the watercolour.

Here's another Augustus Butler print, I believe it's the front of sheet music.

And by guides, they don't mean Girl Guides!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Looks like this...