Gara Masala - the new Indian in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Wispy Wonder

Gara Masala - the new Indian in Sydenham

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Hi folks

Always ones to try out a new eatery in the area - the wife and I tried the new Gara Masala (formerly Bengal Spice) on the High St on Saturday, and it's good.

I had a stunning chicken and cashew curry, while the wife was very impressed by a fish dish. The staff are really friendly and the whole place has been done up nicely. As much as we love the ever-wonderful Gurkhas, it's great having a decent alternative.

Give it a go - we'll certainly be going back.

W. Wonder
badruzislam

garam masala restaurant

Post by badruzislam »

:D Hi all, happy new year! my name is badrul Islam, i am the new manager at garam masala restaurant. i heard about this forum from a customer yesterday night, so this is the first time i am visiting this wonderful forum, and must say its a great resource for our community.

a huge thanks to our customers for reccomending/discussing our restaurant on this forum.

as some of you are already aware i am in the process of making changes to the restaurant, i would like to invite your comments/suggestions so your dining experience can be more comfortable & enjoyable.

(i dont know if i am allowed to do this and appologise to the moderators if i break any forum rules) i would like to offer a 10% discount on food to all customers who are members of the sydenham town forum. look forward to your views and most of all seeing you at the restaurant
Best regards, Badruz Islam...
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

Hello Badruz

I haven't been into the restaurant since the summer, although the wife and I have been several times since it first opened. The food has always been good, although it does feel like you're sitting in a goldfish bowl with the full extent of the windows unobscured. Any chance of a little more diner discretion? A less lurid paint scheme would be good too....

Good luck with it though.

W. Wonder
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Hello Badrul.

First, can I say it's good to see you here and great that you are looking for feedback to improve your business.

Sorry to take this slightly off topic so early but I'm sure you'll get lots of comments from others. I have a quick question.

My wife has food intolerances and can't eat dairy (inc. ghee), wheat/gluten, sunflower oil, yeast. Do you have dishes on the menu that are either prepared without these ingredients or can be made to order?

I've phoned around a few places and some claim they can cater but one tried telling me their tandoori chicken was OK (I'd have though that used yoghurt) so I get the feeling most places will tell you anything over the phone to get your business.

Can you help? Feel free to send me a private message if you'd prefer to keep this thread focussed on the feedback you requested.
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

Hello Badrul,
We have been using Garam Masala for meals and also using your delivery service. Your delivered food is consistantly good and is always delivered within stated time frame.
I look forward to meeting you and claiming my 10% forum discount
smiler

Post by smiler »

Hello badruzislam

We have been regulars for the last 2 years and the quality of food has always been very good.

We visited for a take away on saturday evening and received a very polite and warm welcome.

Unfortunately I have to say the the quality was far below the usual standard.
Most dishes were bland and lacked the usual care.

Hopefully it is just teething problems as we enjoy a good curry.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Hi Badrul,
I have been a regular customer of Garam Masala since it opened and of the site's former incarnations as Bengal Spice and The Meghna!!

I have always enjoyed the food and hope the high standards of Garam Masala are maintained and even improved upon.
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Hi Badrul,
I have been a regular customer of Garam Masala since it opened and of the site's former incarnations as Bengal Spice and The Meghna!!

I have always enjoyed the food and hope the high standards of Garam Masala are maintained and even improved upon.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

You can say that again!

The things that puts me and the wife off eating in (we prefer to get takeaways) is the interior with it's odd blue neon lights which are a bit gawdy and bright. The lighting in Tratorria or Ghurkas is much nicer (you could swap the neon blue for white dimmable led lights are are eco-friendly and VERY cheap to run).

Generally the food is good (sometimes can verge towards being a bit oily) and the service excellent and friendly. We will have to pop in soon. I wish you all the best.

Actually, any forum members here fancy seeing in the new year with a trip there one evening for an impromptu STF get together?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

That sounds like an excellent idea, Lee.

I love a good curry but haven't tried this venue before as it's a bit too much out of takeaway distance for me!
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

This is going to sound really stupid but where is it?

I'm up and down Sydenham Road and Kirkdale a fair amount but I can't say I've laid eyes on it...

I'd be up for a curry night Lee but someone will have to tell me where it is first!

I looked on Google and it said it was 144 but I've no idea where that number is.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

It's between Knighton Park Road and Kent House Road:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=SE26+5JZ...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Count me in!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

We ate their last night....we've been regulars for years. The food was as good as ever and we claimed our 10% off. The new manager is a really nice chap who seems really interested in the local community and community issues.
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

I've walked past this several times before but i didn't realise this was a restaurant. I'm sorry but the sign above the restaurant kinda makes it look like a fast food/take away eatery place. But I will come and check it out soon. I like the food in Ghurkas, but they take there time serving dishes on a busy evening (once had to wait nearly an hour for our food to arrive).
shell1

Post by shell1 »

I'm so pleased that the new manager is taking an interest in customer views. I ordered a chicken jalfrezi and alloo gobi over the weekend and must say it was delicious!

We have not eaten in the restaurant for a little while as previously the service was a little hit and miss but hopefully under new management it seems this is changing. Thank you management for taking on local views to provide a lovely curry house!

Like Lee's idea to meet and eat at GM one time to support our fab curry house - perhaps one Friday evening after work perhaps? Do let us know. Keen to get my 10% discount.
sunnyr

Post by sunnyr »

Went there on Friday in the snow, and not only had a tasty curry but all the staff were really polite and the manager made us feel very welcome.
I can't wait to go back.
lower syders

gorgeous food!

Post by lower syders »

I also went here again during the snow a couple of weeks ago, as a regular visitor I can say that the food is always really good quality. I love the Green Chicken Masala, its gorgeous. V reasonable prices too.

Met Badraz too, new manager, lovely chap and I like what he's doing with the place, the seating arrangment is much better.

I'll be back soon!

:)
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Okay - to any one still following this thread - at least two of us - Lee and myself - will be there this Wednesday at 7.30, so if you'd like to join us ...