Election odds

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Possibly you are right about some of the Press but The BBC bias towards the left certainly makes up for it.
New Labour have been an unmittagated disaster especially in their
PC attitudes and The Human Rights Act , which actually means rights for criminals and illegals but not for lawabiding Britons.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Eagle wrote:Possibly you are right about some of the Press but The BBC bias towards the left certainly makes up for it.
You mean the political team headed up by an ex-President of the Oxford University Conservative Association?
Eagle wrote:New Labour have been an unmittagated disaster especially in their PC attitudes and The Human Rights Act , which actually means rights for criminals and illegals but not for lawabiding Britons.
Remind me what rights the Act bestows upon criminals but not lawabiding citizens.

PP
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Regarding illegal immigration here are some facts rather than scare mongering from the Expresss, Sun or Daily Mail.

* There are between 310,000 and 570,000 illegal immigrants in the UK, according to Home Office estimates. The UN (says between 500,000 and 700,000).

To put that in perspective here are the figures for some other countries:

Argentina has between 50,000 to 2,500,000.
Greece has between 600,000-800,000.
India has between few hundred thousand to 20 million.
Mexico deports over 100,000 illegal immigrants every year. How many stay is unknown.
USA has between 12 and 20 million.
Venezuela has between 200,000 and 'a few million' Columbians.
Germany has over 1 million illegal immigrants. France is much higher.

* If allowed to live legally, they would pay more than £1bn in tax each year

* Deporting them would cost £4.7bn and leave acute shortages of cleaners, care workers and hotel staff cIf allowed to stay, the net benefit of nearly £6bn would pay for 300 new schools, 12 district hospitals or 200,000 new nurses

* Nearly 50% of foreign-born immigrants leave Britain within five years

* Migrants fill 90% of low-paid jobs in London and account for 29% of the capital's workforce. London is the UK's fastest-growing region

* Legal migrants comprise 8.7% of the population, but contribute 10.2% of all taxes. Each immigrant pays an average of £7,203 in tax, compared with £6,861 for non-migrant workers

* There were 25,715 people claiming asylum last year. If allowed to work, they would generate £123m for the Treasury

It's not just a UK problem, it's not just the fault of the government. The civil servants that run departments under the next government will be the same as the ones you have now.

Another issue is, if you make it harder to come to the UK officially, you will get more people staying illegally.

Currently it is not easy to come to the UK. It may be hard for some to believe and yes, some stories in the so called 'newpapers' defy logic, but they are few and far between. Our border agencies are actually quite efficient. I know people who have been deported or interrogated for hours for no reason.

What's my point? Point is, things aren't as bad here are you may think they are. Infact, they are actually much better than many places.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Thanks for the figures.
I was especially refering to the long drawn out appeal proceedure which we pay for. Surely if they are illegal they should be returned at once with no appeal.Time and time again we hear about long appeals where we are paying for their legal representation.
You mention the Illegals are doing all the low paid jobs. I thought that in itself was illegal.
Also so called ayslum seekers who can come here through other safe countries. It is their duty to apply for asylum in the first safe country they come do , say Italy , Spain or Ukraine. Surely any who insist on coming here are not true asylum seekers
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It depends, planes land here (Heathrow is one of, if not the busiest airport in the world). Come here on a tourist visa, disappear, earn some money illegally (go to any large catering function and you will find loads) get a fake visa for £100 (lots of contacts at any language course or via a search of the internet). It's not difficult as I have witnessed (I knew one of Brazilian guy who was here illegally as a delivery driver for a removal company despite the fact that he had never taken a test!. He was deported. Funnily enough he was a really nice guy).

Once, one of these catering firms worked at a police ball and when the people working for the catering company found out a lot of them didn't want to do it!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

One of my points is that any illegals found here should be returned at once with no recourse to the law or long appeals at OUR expense