Central Heating experts

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
the sexton

Central Heating experts

Post by the sexton »

Hello. Anyone out there able to recommend someone who knows their way round a central heating system. Mine needs a little TLC but it doesn't need a new boiler and/or pump, which is usually the default diagnosis from most companies. Rather than take pot luck with Yellow Pages I thought I'd try here. Any ideas? :?:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

I've always used ProGas on Sydenham Road. Corgi registered and basically they did a brilliant job of plumbing in my whole CH system. They're not the cheapest the sexton but they are reliable, certified (in the correct way) and a nice bunch.
Footloose

Post by Footloose »

That firm refuses to attend for anything less than a full installation (from my own experience).
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Really Footloose? If so, sorry for the bad advice the sexton.

An alternative might be British Gas? I have my Boiler and CH insured under them and on each visit they service it and quote market rates for any small jobs that need doing.

Again apologies if this isn't the service you need the sexton.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Can I back up Greg's endorsement of Pro Gas. They've come promptly to our house (and one or two others I know) to do sometimes very small jobs. Corgi registered and their service is first class. Not the cheapest but they'll do a job you can have confidence in.

I simply cannot understand why they didn't want to attend Footloose's home.
Footloose

Post by Footloose »

I simply made an enquiry. They were very quick to make it clear they were not interested in anything small-scale. I am sure they will attend if they have first carried out a major installation at your property.

Most people are in the position of requiring a simple repair to an existing one, probably installed before they took on the property.

I had some good contacts. If I can locate them I shall send details by PM to Sexton.
the sexton

Post by the sexton »

Thanks for this. I'll have a bash with this lot and see what they say.
lemonade

Central Heating

Post by lemonade »

Hello The Sexton
May I ask what the problem is with your boiler?
eg...Is it not lighting, does it make a noise, does it not heat up the radiators etc???
Is it a combi, back boiler, etc?
the sexton

Post by the sexton »

It's a Potterton boiler and it works fine. The problem seems to be the pipes and rads; they just don't seem to be getting the hot stuff flowing to the right bits. Last winter several of the rads were tepid, even after being bled.
lemonade

Boiler

Post by lemonade »

Hello The Sexton
Sorry but can you be a bit more specific....Is it a Potterton Wall hanging combination boiler?
From what you've said so far, I could narrow it down to three possible faults:-
(1) (if a combination boiler - closed/unvented type) Could be air in the system. You should have a "filling loop" which is used to top up the radiators and a bleed off point.
(2) Could be the pump. A pump is used to circulate the water through the radiators and back again to be heated by the boiler. If you know where the pump is, see if you can feel it running whilst the central heating is on.
(3) Could be a motorised valve. Locate the motorised valve. There is usually a slider switch on its side which can be manually slid across. The motorised valve is a squareish plastic box mounted on a pipe and is electrically operated...With the boiler off, slide the switch fully over to the other side. Then switch the boiler back on, select central heating. If the radiators warm up it is the valve. If the valve's switch slides back over on its own (by electricity) then the valve is ok and not at fault.
Can you please give me a model number of your boiler if possible. I'll look it up for you and hopefully may be able to offer better assistance.
I appreciate this must be a bit compicated. If you could provide me with further details it will make things much easier.
the sexton

Central Heating experts

Post by the sexton »

Thank you lemonade.

It's a Potterton Suprima 80, wall mounted boiler. We had some radiators replaced last years and since then parts of the system have been barely functioning. Could it be that some of the pipes have been blocked as a result oif the work and require flushing. Some parts of the system (upstairs) work fine but downstairs is very iffy.
Waterloo

Potterton Boiler....!

Post by Waterloo »

FAO: Lemonade

You seem to know abit about boilers and I have a query which I am hoping you could answer. In 2004 we had a Potterton Combi boiler fitted (wall hanging as apposed to floor). The central heating and water worked fine that winter and was not used the subsequent summer. The problem we now have is when we turn the heating on, it only heats part of the house (either upstairs or down) and if the heating comes on the water does not get hot and vice versa. The boiler switches on/off fine and does not make any funny noises. We have a thermostat in the main bedroom and one on the landing both at 25 - any lower and the heating does not come on - any ideas??
lemonade

Boiler Problems

Post by lemonade »

Hello Waterloo
Check the main stat situated within the boiler itself - Normally found under the controls cover or within the lower front facia. It is usually a rotary dial. Turn the internal stat up to max and see if there is a significant difference
Try this and let me know
Wing

Post by Wing »

Hello all,

I am a newbie on this forum. I have a Potterton Suprima 60 which is less than 4 years old and the circuit board packed up just outside the warranty period. I had it replaced and it cost me £250 including parts and labour - by Potteron. It's now playing up again - has hot water but no CH.

I have been reading various forums on the Potterton Suprima range and I noted that many people had problems, particular, with the PCBs.
lemonade

Faulty PCBs

Post by lemonade »

Wing wrote:Hello all,

I am a newbie on this forum............
.....................I have been reading various forums on the Potterton Suprima range and I noted that many people had problems, particular, with the PCBs.
Hello wing
Hope you enjoy your stay here.
Tut Tut!!! Hmmm! It's always the way how things go wrong just outside the warranty period, isn't it. I feel for you. Yes I can quite believe what you say about PCB faults.
The trouble is there are far more electronics required in boilers to control output as modern boilers modulate their output in order to meet SEDBUK efficiency standards. Another problem can be siting of the boiler. In a bathroom or kitchen is normally where you'd expect to find a combi bolier, but there is a high risk of humidity within these areas.
The best solution would be to enclose the boiler in a cabinet.
In some instances you can place moisture absorbing silica gel pellets in a bag around the PCB area.
I'd personally say Potterton, Baxi are one of the best boilers out there.
......Although £250.00 is alot to pay for a PCB, so I'd understand if you begged to differ.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Worcester Bosch are pretty good too :)

If you have DHW but no CH I would guess, depending on the system (eg S-plan, Y-plan etc) it could be the motor on your valve has died. May also be the room thermostat or field wiring (external to the boiler).

Probably more expense I'm afraid but it's not always the boilers' fault!
biscuitman1978

ProGas

Post by biscuitman1978 »

nasaroc wrote:Can I back up Greg's endorsement of Pro Gas. They've come promptly to our house (and one or two others I know) to do sometimes very small jobs. Corgi registered and their service is first class. Not the cheapest but they'll do a job you can have confidence in.

I simply cannot understand why they didn't want to attend Footloose's home.
I used ProGas last week and found them helpful and friendly (both on the phone and in person). They fixed what seemed to be a very obscure problem very quickly, so like Greg and nasaroc I'm happy to recommend them.