East London Line Launch on Sunday 23rd May.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Certainly.

As far as I make it, there are now eight Overground services an hour, even late at night, four from Crystal Palace, and four from West Croydon. These are every five minutes, with a missing train every third train. It's 15 minutes from Sydenham to Canada Water (compared to the 20+ minutes to London Bridge and the long walk).

That's in addition to the four services an hour to/from London Bridge which are slotted into the missing train gaps.

So twelve services an hour into London, every five minutes.

Also if you're out in Crystal Palace, the last train to Sydenham/Forest Hill is at ten to midnight.

I noticed that at NCG the announcement mentioned Goldsmiths College, but it didn't mention the Horniman Museum at Forest Hill...
poppy

Post by poppy »

Maybe it would be good if stuff going on in areas on the route could be advertised inside the train.

The Sydenham International Music Festival for example, which, you never know could draw people down here.....
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

A friend from Rotherhithe travelled down to see us yesterday to join in the celebrations and he was given literature on Sydenham Arts Festival and Sydenham Radio. He was very impressed!
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

fishcox wrote:Totally recommend it, although I dont think its going to affect my daily grind into work, the 0740 to London Bridge is still a much easier journey for central London.
Well it might do, as the 07:40 is now the 07:39!

Just had a look at the new timtable for the LBG trains (new line is useless for me for work) and some of the morning trains now take 22 mins to get to London Bridge (as opposed to 16 mins returning), there are no fast trains any more, some trains have been cancelled (07:45 and 08:33), and we know there are only 4 trains an hour in the evening.

Add this to the cancellation of trains from Charing Cross in the evening (and some of us used them as part of the daily commute and the journey is now 10 mins longer) and it looks like we are getting the short straw here!
noangel

Post by noangel »

As with anything someone is bound to lose out. You can't please everyone. It is a shame that the LBG service has been reduced because some people, including myself, moved to SE London because of the ease of travelling to work.

However this new Overground service now suits me better because my circumstances have changed this year and I now work in the City instead of the London Bridge area. So today I was able to get a train to a station that was only a 5 minute walk from the office (I'm a fast walker... TfL said it would be a 10 min walk). Which is good because it means City workers will now consider moving "south" which will have a positive effect on the housing market here, won't it? I can also get back into my "sport" as what was a 1-2 hour journey to training is now 45 minutes.

Yesterday it was nice seeing families make an occasion of the first day, taking their lunches to eat on the train and discussing how much freedom it gives them for family outings over the weekend. Also at Shoreditch over hearing a group of people discuss where in South London they were going to go for the day. Plus the air-conditioned trains were lush!!

So I think it's a positive thing for the area. Mind you if I was still working at London Bridge maybe I would have a different POV :wink:
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

The advantages outweigh the minor disadvantages in my opinion. A couple fewer trains in the morning for London Bridge / Northern Line folk - but the trains will be emptier because of people moving to the overground.

The morning train was always 22 minutes, usually with an added wait outside London Bridge.

You could always do 15 minutes to Canada Water, then nip on the Jubilee Line to London Bridge - that will take under 7 minutes in total. Or Whitechapel for the District Line folk. So if the next train at Sydenham is a Overground, get it, it'll be quicker.

As for the evening, 8 trains an hour from Canada Water with a simple platform change is a no brainer for those that this journey is convenient for. The longest wait is ten minutes though.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

alywin

Post by alywin »

JeeBee wrote:You could always do 15 minutes to Canada Water, then nip on the Jubilee Line to London Bridge - that will take under 7 minutes in total. Or Whitechapel for the District Line folk. So if the next train at Sydenham is a Overground, get it, it'll be quicker.
Maybe, but that'll require a Travelcard season rather than a rail season. I can't speak for the Z1-3 tickets, but for 1-4 it'd bump the price by getting on for 50%. So yes, you can do it, but it'll cost ya.
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

JeeBee wrote: You could always do 15 minutes to Canada Water, then nip on the Jubilee Line to London Bridge - that will take under 7 minutes in total. Or Whitechapel for the District Line folk. So if the next train at Sydenham is a Overground, get it, it'll be quicker.
Thanks for the advice, and I will look at it, but unfortunately, I need to get to either Russell Square, Euston or Goodge Street as I work in univesity-land in Bloomsbury and usually go on to Charing Cross and get a bus or walk, and I'm not a big fan of the tube at the best of times. So the thought of 3 tubes in rush hour in a heatwave is not filling me with joy!

It's just that when I moved here 8 years ago, the morning trains were only 16 mins, and the evening trains went at regular 10 minute intervals and there was a through train from Charing Cross when I worked late - which is often.

I'm glad that it's great for some people, but I don't have any particular need to go to East London at the moment - yeah I know, maybe I should get out more LOL
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Hmm, Overground to Whitechapel, change onto H&C to Euston Square?

Although the H&C is rather intermittent...
sean

Post by sean »

Video of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxU2XsCkqog

I tried to embed it but the HTML is off on this website.
There is another video coming tonight.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Fantastic video Sean. I was gutted I couldn't make it to the event but seeing your video I feel like I was there, very well done & many thanks to all involved.

I can't wait to take my first journey on our new line. :D
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

the new lines great - but was getting home today from London Bridge 5:30pm such a f**king mission - I hope this ain't the norm every day
bobmcbob

Post by bobmcbob »

Yes the ELL trains are all well and good - the aircon is really appreciated at the moment and its fantastic if you now have the option of using the jubilee line at canada water.

The downside is that, based on tonight's journey home from london bridge, having only 1 train every 15 mins during the peak, is really stretching it to say the least.
Checkmate

Post by Checkmate »

Does anyone actually head south from Sydenham to go to work? :lol:

Overground services to West Croydon are more frequent, start earlier and finish later.

But we've lost our Sutton services (apart from one at silly o-clock in the morning) and I suspect may of those who do head south will be making an additional change at Norwood Junction to get where they're going.
sean

Post by sean »

sean

Post by sean »

All Sydenham News videos can be found at:

https://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... B0633E3841
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

goonerchamp wrote:the new lines great - but was getting home today from London Bridge 5:30pm such a f**king mission - I hope this ain't the norm every day
It was just as bad for ELL passengers today. A lineside fire at Norwood Junction affected both sets of trains during the evening peak.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

rbmartin wrote:
goonerchamp wrote:the new lines great - but was getting home today from London Bridge 5:30pm such a f**king mission - I hope this ain't the norm every day
It was just as bad for ELL passengers today. A lineside fire at Norwood Junction affected both sets of trains during the evening peak.
And the much vaunted aircon system was also knackered on some of the ELL trains (including mine - I was roasted from Shadwell!).
noangel

Post by noangel »

Did we not have these exact same kind of problems when it was just the Southern service? Delays during peaks hours (last night's delay wasn't the fault of any train company), sweltering trains ... etc etc

I was fortunate enough to get a ELL train at Syders (from CP) during the delays. The train driver apologised for the delays for both services then kindly gave an alternative route to get to London Bridge using his service or, he said, wait on the platform for an indefinite time for the other services to start again. Still people complained throughout the entire journey even though they managed to get to London Bridge quicker than if they had taken the latter advice. :roll: