Road *!@!! works!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
multisync

Post by multisync »

Oh I think they needed to borrow them for a little while to put them at the Wells Park Rd,Kirkdale/ Jews Walk junction.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Sorry to get you all excited, they are back, 50 yards down the road, towards Bell Green, I apologise deeply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Southern Gas Networks

Post by Southern Gas Networks »

Update: 12 May

We have now successfully abandoned the old cast iron main on the south side of Sydenham Road between the junctions with Watlington Grove and Bell Green, and have completed our work in all the side turnings, Porthcawe Road, Fairlawn Park and Watlington Grove. The services to the school, church, presbytery, hall and library have also been transferred.

We are currently returning the road back to normal. When this process is complete, the temporary traffic lights outside the library will be removed. Work is already underway to prepare the ageing main under the north (Mayow Road) side of Sydenham Road between the junctions with Bell Green and Mayow Road, for insertion. Traffic management measures will be determined once network analysis of this section has been conducted.

Our work has taken longer than estimated as we discovered there were more mains requiring decommissioning than originally anticipated. Furthermore, our work was interrupted by another utility company undertaking emergency works in the area over a period of three months. We estimate the project will reach completion by August.
Southern Gas Networks

Update: 2 June

We are now in the process of inserting the new pipe from the junction with Bell Green to the junction with Larkbere Road. Upon completion, we will repeat the process up to Sunnydene Street, then up to Kent House Road and finally up to Mayow Road. As yet we do not know how many sections the insertion from Kent House Road up to Mayow Road will be split into (and thus how many excavations we will need to create) as the services will need to be surveyed and a full analysis of the prevailing network conditions carried out nearer the time. At present we remain set to complete the project in August.

The location of our 'business pack' on our website has changed. The following is an updated guide to acquiring information about our 'Commitment to Customers', making a complaint and applying for business compensation.

Go to sgn.co.uk

Click on the 'Contact Us' tab on the left side of the homepage; this will produce a tab to a section named 'Customer Service', which, when clicked on, will produce tabs to sections named 'Commitment' and 'Complaints'. The former section features a downloadable document containing our Commitment, the latter a a downloadable step-by-step guide to making a formal complaint. In either section, to download, click on the word 'Southern' (marked in red).

Clicking on the 'Contact Us' tab will also produce a tab to a section named 'FAQ'. When clicked on, this will produce a tab to a section named 'Pipe replacement', within which the answer to the penultimate question, "I think my business might be affected, what do I do?", contains a link to our business pack. Within this pack, a 'Business Compensation Claim Form' can be found, alongside a guide to claiming.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

And just when I thought it was safe to drive down Sydenham Road again. Didn't know you would be working your way back up again. :(
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

it's currently mid-summer and we therefore have long hours of daylight. Why doesn't SGN utilise the opportunity to minimise disruption as much as possible and have people working on the excavations during all hours of daylight?

why is there no work undertaken at weekends?

If both of the above were implemented then the length of disruption would be significantly shortened. Wouldn't it?
Southern Gas Networks

Re: Road *!@!! works!

Today we are commissioning the section of new pipe from Larkbere to outside the primary school. We then have to reconnect the side turnings in that section and reinstate the road.

The next section will be from outside the primary school to the junction with Kent House Road. We will install temporary traffic lights at the junction with Kent House Road. We envisage these will be in operation between five and six weeks.

The section after will be from the junction with Kent House Road to the junction with Hazel Grove. Once this section has been commissioned and connected the lights can come down at the junction with Kent House Road.
Southern Gas Networks

UPDATE: 29 July

We are currently in the process of decommissioning the iron main between the junctions with Fairlawn Park and Kent House Road, ready for insertion. Once the new main has been commissioned, we can connect it to the existing mains in Kent House Road and Addington Grove. The plan is to lay two short lengths of small diameter pipe in the pavement by the Peartree Care Centre and The Dolphin pub, then disconnect the side connections up to the pub. This will allow us to decommission the iron main from the junction with Kent House Road to the pub, lay the new main then connect all the side turnings and large-diameter services. The final connection will involve abandoning the iron main between the junctions with Bell Green and Kent House Road.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Yes, thank you for the update, SGN, but the burning question is - when will you be finished. You mentioned August before - is that still the timetable? The tailbacks from the temporary lights at Kent House Road are just as spectacular the second time around.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Can we have the traffic lights by the Library switched back on?

Many thanks
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Well, we are now in September and the temporary lights are still up at Kent House Road. With the South Circular closed in Forest Hill I have abandoned all attempts to exit Mayow Road at the Sydenham Road end as the tail backs from the temporary lights are horrendous. I've checked the SGN website - no new updates since 29th July. So, SGN, if you are listening, what's the score?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

and they didn't answer my question above...
lbere

Post by lbere »

SGN,

What on earth is going on?

For nearly the last week, traffic has been backed up on both sides from Bell Green to the top of Sydenham Road?

When is all this going to finish?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Temporary lights at Sydenham Library this morning, plus the temporary lights at Kent House Road are still in force. Bedlam.
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Taking my son to school this morning I noticed the pedestrian lights by Home Park are out, now the only safe option to cross the road with children in the lollipop man outside St Phlilp Neri. Between Kent House Road and the ped lights down by Sainsburys, this is the safest and only option, not impressed. Oh and don't forget the nutters who constantly park across the entrance to fairlawn park when the lights are red (hello leave a space you can't go anywhere!! : :roll: ) and the considerate parents who park on the zig zags outside St Philip Neri it has been interesting to say the least. I will be writing to SGN today.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

hehe
Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What?

They keep phoning me up asking me about stuff! I have no idea why they keep putting my picture in the paper, I'm in danger of finding myself annoying!
simon

Post by simon »

I only bought the paper today for the pic and caption :lol:

Nice BW picture with the memerable caption: "Mess": Lee Newham.

To be fair, it's a flattering picture taken some years ago and Lee has faired better than Cllr Liam Curran. They've used a picture of Liam from, I think, the Save The Greyhound campaign with him propping up the bar and looking like he belongs there. He also looks older than when I last saw him.

I would complain if I were him.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hahaha cheeky bas...

I got a photographer friend to take that picture, retouched a shot on my chin and sent it in about an article they were doing on 'What if Sydenham' and Billings. Unfortunately they didn't use it for that. They used it on an article about the tragic death of Nick Pearton. Now it pops up again. I like the South London press, but I wish they would use images for their intended purpose!
simon

Post by simon »

Alan Sugar used to have a rule; never smile in press photos because they will always use them when you shouldn't be smiling. :)
Journalists are lazy, but picture editors are even lazier.