Fairlawn Park Stabbing

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenhampanther

Fairlawn Park Stabbing

Post by sydenhampanther »

I was walking home from Penge to Fairlawn Park about 20 minutes ago, when I saw police tape across Winchfield Road. To get home I walked under it and was mobbed by officers telling me that I had just stepped onto a crime scene and was a suspect for a stabbing. It was all a little hard to take in at 1 o'clock in the morning, but would like to make a topic about it to see if anyone gets any information about it over the next couple of days, and I will post any information I receive.

Are any residents near Fairlawn Park starting to get worried? Having to walk past the flowers for Nick Pearton every day and this recent incident (along with another couple of minor ones) is starting to get me worried. I don't like becoming a suspect for something just for walking home!

sydenhampanther
Willy

Re: Fairlawn Park Stabbing

Post by Willy »

Why did you walk under the tape? It's pretty silly don't you think?
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

My guess would be its a gang thing. Probably in reprisal for something which happened previously. I don't know why, if the police know who the members of these gangs are they just can't get them all together and let them sort out their differences in a boxing ring or something. I've read of very good programmes in the US where young people have been forced to come together under the same roof and they are made to confront each other safely, they are made to listen to Mothers, Brothers and sisters who have lost son's ect..to gangland violence. And to ex-gang members who've successfully got away from the culture. Its been very successfull. I can't see how it will stop until they are brought together somehow and they're not gonna do that on their own.
I just glad I don't have any teenagers. They'd hate me. The mother from Hell who'd want to know their every move and have them in bed by ten every night... Sadly I know you can't do that and I'd be the Mother on Prozac instead, worrying about their every move.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I live in Fairlawn Park.

I'm really saddened by this as I was when I heard about Nick. But worried? No. Frightened? No. You can't live your life in fear worrying about what might happen. You can also work with your local community to try to make a difference. It's not just up to the SNT, police or councilors or politicians. It's also up to us. It's up to all of us.

It's a shame that a tiny minority of idiots think harming other people is a worthwhile activity. I like this street. I know quite a few neighbours. For the first time after living in London for 18 years I have found a place where people say hello as I walk down the street.

Hopefully we will find out more facts about what happened without guessing or wildly speculating.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Willy wrote:Why did you walk under the tape? It's pretty silly don't you think?
+1 It says "do not cross" for a reason. He was lucky he wasn't nicked for obstruction or for attempting ot pervert the course of justice.
sydenhampanther

Post by sydenhampanther »

Why I walked under the tape? It was 1 o'clock in the morning, I couldnt see any officers and I wanted to get home. But thanks to those who have actually shared their views - I think its a little harder to deal with when you're younger, (I'm still a teenager) and to see two people your own age on your own road get stabbed in the space of a few months is not something you want to see. What does concern me though is the response to what happened to Nick - I was hoping to see some sort of efforts to try to get rid of the groups that hang around here. I haven't really seen this and now we could well be paying the price with another young life.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I'd have probably done the same thing as S. Panther at that time of the morning in those circumstances. By the way SP, I've sent you a PM.

Crime overall is falling... But 'youth' crime is on the rise. Why is it? What is the problem and how can we stop it? What would you like see happen SP?
gurka

Post by gurka »

There really needs to be more opportunities for young people (like when I was growing up we would go on summer camps to the countryside for adventure sports etc), but obviously in this current financial climate its really not possible (unless a major financial backer).
GLOBAL THINKER

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

There really needs to be more opportunities for young people
How many more opportunities do they need? Everywhere you turn time and resources are given to "young people" what about the people who get up and go to work everyday and want to come home to a normal street and do normal things with their kids (like go to the park)?? Where is their support ??? Lets face it some people do not want to be helped and those that don't should be given short shrift. Lets channel our time and energy into those people young and old who want to change their communities not destroy them.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I do feel for you SydenhamPanther, it must be scary being a young man in this day and age. I believe that 99% of young people are law abiding and many more live in fear of violence than commit it. We need to 'reclaim the streets' - young and old alike.
As to youth crime being on the increase, from what I've read its hard to say - it depends how you look at the figures; how things are recorded and counted.. and who you ask. Anyway its the perception of crime that counts not the figures. That's what stops people going out.

Not sure what to do, my previous suggestion would take a huge amount of effort and willingness if not cost. On a day to day basis though I would walk with confidence, speak to my neighbours, be nosey, say hello and engage with everyone you can.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Well said Global thinker.

Some families and people wish to live outside what some others would call 'normal'.

Some families and people, no matter how much money you throw at them, will never ever, live a 'normal' life.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

lbere wrote:Well said Global thinker.

Some families and people wish to live outside what some others would call 'normal'.

Some families and people, no matter how much money you throw at them, will never ever, live a 'normal' life.

I do agree with you Ibere, except for the word 'wish'. I do not think families and people 'wish' to live outside 'normal'. Think if baby P if he had lived... do you think he would have turned out 'normal'? Even if he had been taken from that family and nurtured in the most loving and wonderfull home the damage was already done. Even at his young age. A lot of people in prison today have been damaged at a young age, have had the most appaling backgrounds, have been abused, are illiterate and have never experienced 'normal', wouldn't know 'normal' was. Unfortunatley for the baby P's who do make it out alive - by around age ten no one wants to know and they are Demonised as 'devil children'. They cause havoc until eventually they do something so bad that they are locked up; or they die by the sword. In the meantime the cycle goes on and no one wants to take responsiblity. In my book we are all responsible. If you want a better society you've got to pay for it. There has to be intensive one-to-one therapies for damaged children in order to break the cycle. And I also think children need to be removed from people who are not able to parent far sooner than they are now. Too many f0cked up parents are given chance after chance and all that happens is that the children end up more damaged. Of course this cost A LOT of money. And people don't care enough.
Sorry for my doom and gloom rant ... I have had toothache for two days now. Maybe that has contributed to my mood.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

http://www.adoptionuk.org/s/forum/108012/forum/

Above is a link to the UK Adoption forum. (you will have to cut and paste).These are people ('nice' people and in the main,Middle Class) who have adopted the baby P's of this world. It might give you an insight into how these children - some taken from abusive families at only weeks old - are damaged by the early weeks of life lived with abuse. It makes for interesting reading...
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

The thread starts with a stabbing, and I know the youth who was stabbed, and ends with a link to an adoption site having passed through several posts on how we should feel responsible for these poor troubled kids. Well I am afraid that I do not feel that I should be held responsible for the ills of society and I am sure that if more of those who post on this forum lived in Fairlawn park they would agree. Actually these youths live in good accommodation and some have two parents, surely they are their responsibility not mine. We have had problems with the ferol youth in this street for a number of years and as they get older the problems are getting worse. I have watched these kids grow up and progress from sticks to knives and it will be only a matter of time before guns are used. Here's a newsflash Sydenham is not only coffee shops and a certain public house with an interesting waitress. Perhaps we ought to send these yobs to the pub and let them be put right by the blonde in liederhosen. Better still make the parents take responsibilty for their own kids and evict them when their kids cause trouble. Its about time those of us who are law abiding come first and not make excuses. Perhaps if Hyde Housing and Lewisham Council took some responsibility for their tenants then the rest of us can enjoy a better quality of life.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

There you go (didn't take long did it?) ....I rest my case. I'm not going to say anthing else on the matter.
simon

Post by simon »

So viewing all the above, has it been confirmed that someone was actually stabbed last night? If so, does anyone know how they are?
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Yes a 15 year old youth. He was stabbed twice in the abdomin and also in the back after being chased by up 4 other youths who it is understood are not from the area and arrived in a red car. I have been told that he was operated on last night to stop the bleeding and is likely to be in hopsital for a week or so recovering. Don't get me wrong I don't like to see anyone hurt with a knife but I refuse to accept responsibility I gave up buying the Gaurdian a year ago so perhaps my previous liberal credentials are a bit jaded.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Yes, I know. I said I wouldn't say any more but...

I object to the inference that my views; based on study and hands on experience - working in 'the field' (as opposed to 'tutting', avoiding responsibilty and wringing my hands from the behind my net curtain) is in any way 'Liberal', or 'soft'.
Believe me, there is nothing 'soft' about the way I feel we should tackle the problems we have with young people who are turning to gangs and violence. Facing up to the parents, to dissafected youth, making people take responsibility for themselves and their families, their property - getting 'in there' with them. Talking, standing firm. And the other side - trying to get law obiding people to be respolnsible for their communities, getting them to face up to their fears, prejudices and responsibilities. Yeah, I know you didn't ask to be born, but you were so tough, and like it or not, you ARE a member of this society and you have a vote and you pay tax and you live here so put up with it or get involved - and try to DO something to make things better. Oh and yeah, your taxes are going to go up - someone's gotta sort this mess out and it don't come free.
Maybe that makes me a Liberal, I don't know. Better than moaning and slagging and saying 'its not my problem', because I don't live in the Outer Hebredies, and it IS my problem. And I can't stand the Guardian.
TheDon

Post by TheDon »

Oh Dear I appear to have touched a nerve, for the record I wasn't accusing you of being a liberal or a Gaurdian reader my comments were more a reflection on how my own strong liberal views have become jaded as I become more dispairing of how bad things have become. Yes I didn't ask to be born but I am glad that was however I do not understand your point.
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Can I say that Sergeant Amanda Ritchie 72PL from Sydenham Safer Neighbourhood Team is appealing for witnesses into the stabbing of the 15 year old youth which occurred in Fairlawn Park at approx 2330 hrs on 27th July 2010.

Two black males got out of a red coloured car approached the victim, an altercation took place. The victim ran off and was chased by the males. He received stab wounds to his abdomen. It is unclear at this stage whether there was any motive.

Information gained suggests that this may be gang related, however this is unclear. Further investigation is taking place to confirm or deny this information.

The victim is currently in hospital where he remains in a stable condition.

Any one with information is asked to contact the incident room on 0208 284 3991, or Lewisham Police on 0300 123 1212. Or you might prefer to contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

You are encouraged to speak to any member of the Safer Neighbourhoods team who pass by your house regularly as part of their local duties.