waitrose looking for location

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Likelife

Re: waitrose looking for location

Post by Likelife »

I'm starting to warm more to a Waitrose the more I think about, and yes I third that a stationary shop like WH Smith would also be great for the area.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Dear Mr Fraser

I hear you are looking for possible new sites for Waitrose convenience stores, of between 4,000 – 10,000 square feet.

May I suggest two new sites – currently at either planning stage or under construction - in the South London suburb of Sydenham, SE26.

Both sites are located on a busy local high street, and are either next to, or within a few hundred feet of, the newly-updated underground / overground railway station and free car park.

Details of the first location, adjacent to Sydenham Station, can be found here [link]. It is anticipated that this new build site will include approximately 7,000 square feet of commercial floor space. Details of the second site, not yet under construction, can be found here [link]. When completed, this second site will comprise 5,500 of commercial floor space, opening directly onto the middle of Sydenham High Street. A large, free, public car park, is a short walk away from this second site, located just off Girton Road.

A few words on Sydenham itself..

Love and kisses
dickp
bobmcbob

Post by bobmcbob »

Sydenham may well be on the way up, but there's still no realistic chance of Waitrose setting up on the highstreet, in the near future at least.

Crystal Palace would be a more realistic candidate.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I don't think there's any chance of Waitrose coming here in their current guise, but they're looking at moving into smaller outlets (along the Tesco Express / M&S Simply Food lines) - I could see there's the market for a smaller store.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

May I ask why you think it will go to Crystal Palace?

There are a number of food shops here so people already come here to buy food. Most food places are smaller units and offering a wide choice from lidl to Billings, from the Co-operative to Fresh and Fruity. There is parking, it's on the East London Line, there is a lot going on here, the high street is having a makeover and the demographics are good with a wide catchment area due to it's vicinity to Forest Hill, Honor Oak Park, Dulwich etc who would all have to pass by this way en route to Waitrose in Beckenham (if they can be bothered to go that far).

Much as I like Crystal Palace, parking is a nightmare there and the Sainsbury's is right bank slap in the centre with it's own car park which is means it's easier to do all your shopping there in one go. Sydenham's station (unlike in Crystal Palace) is slap bang in the centre of it's main shopping street which means every night loads of potential customers pour out of the station giving the road good footfall.

I think we have a really good chance.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Blah, blah blah!

The letter had very specific requirements.

I checked the specifications of the new builds from the planning notices. They match - exactly.

So I ACTUALLY WROTE to the person requesting information, telling him exactly how my proposed sites match their requirements - with links direct to the developers, to make it easier to follow up on.

Honestly folks - talk on here is cheap. If you actually want something, you have to get off your backsides and ask for it - to be even in with a chance.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

I think Crystal Palace is boring and like Lee said, we have Sydenham station right next to the highlighted site with 12 trains and hour - Six go to Croydon - Called London's third finance centre. We may not have as many buses but our High Street and Station are more lively. I only ever go Palace to change buses and were in Palace will they find a building to their needs?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

So I ACTUALLY WROTE to the person requesting information, telling him exactly how my proposed sites match their requirements - with links direct to the developers, to make it easier to follow up on.

Have they replied?

Honestly folks - talk on here is cheap.

I agree. I only write on here for the benefit of other members. I'm under no illusions that any decision makers or people in power read what I write and stroke their chins whilst thinking 'you know what, he's got a point. I'll get in touch right away to sound him out'. Call me a pessimist, and forgive me for going slightly off topic here, but I think this board is just too slow and short on contributing members for its opinions to be noticed.

Like dickp said: If you want to be heard by the people who are proposing, backing or instigating local change, then get in touch directly instead of hoping they read your views on here. Because realistically, they wont.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Well if Waitrose can open in Croydon (after purchasing a Somerfield store) then there is hope for us here. Might be worth contacting them.

Dickp: the two sites you mentioned - the first is the old Greyhound right? Have tenants been signed up yet? What is the second site?
dickp

Post by dickp »

The first was the new build around the back of the Greyhound (I am aware that Waitrose have shops next to Beckenham, Bromley and West Ealing train stations - so my proposal wouldn't be too out of the ordinary).

The second site is the old blinds factory, at 22-24 Sydenham Road. That's close to a public car park - although I'm not sure if delivery vehicle access would be viable.

I've no idea if either of these properties have tenants lined up, but have provided the contact details of the construction company / developer, should Waitrose wish to know more. It may actually help that these projects aren't very far along - the fit-out could be tailored to the tenants' needs, rather than done on spec.

I am sure Mr Fraser has recieved hundreds of pleading emails, and will take weeks to work through them all. I am also sure he will not respond directly to 99 per cent of respondents, however well they make their case. The best chance that Sydenham has to "stand out" from the crowd is by people supplying property suggestions that a) matches his search criteria and b) makes it easy for him to follow up. Hopefully, I've done both.

It took me about an hour of research, tops - less if Lewisham's planning website had been easier to navigate. That's about the same time I'd take driving to and from Waitrose in a typical month, anyway. So, nothing ventured, nothing gained, as far as I am concerned.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

You might be interested in these slightly provocative comments on this discussion in the EDF:
http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum ... ?20,508044

"Working class fried chicken munchers" I ask you!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Yes, I've seen it. But fear not, Thomas. The author is one of my favourite EDF rabble-rousers. She's just out to have some fun. And I'd be honoured if she graced us with her presence one day.

Because we could certainly do with it!
littlelee

Post by littlelee »

I can't believe so many of you are so bothered about Waitrose.. My thoughts are - If they do open a new small "compact" shop - what amazing new product range will you get , that is not already available at the Co-operative or Sainsbury's ? Not alot if nothing different from anywhere else (just a higher cost) . If you really want to shop at Waitrose, go to Beckenham or on-line. I think you should channel your energy into supporting the local traders including the Co-operative (which only opened in June) they support fair trade, sustainable fishing, ethical retailing, and they are a mutual. These are the reasons I have read on this thread for the promotion of Waitrose..... I doubt these to be really true reasons you want a Waitrose store.. It's all about brand... and I think alot of you are really shallow...so you can say to your friends "oh we've got a Waitrose" get a grip -- WHO CARES>>>>>>>
RedRevolver

Post by RedRevolver »

I'll second what many have said - Waitrose are not expensive, at all imo. In fact, my parents shop at both Waitrose and Sainsbury's and often have found that Sainsbury's can be more expensive. Moreover, Waitrose offer a better kind of service, with local food produce and are just a better kind of store.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

In response to the much smaller version of me, you seem to assume that Waitrose will take trade away from other shops in the high street. Infact it will probably help them as it brings more people who otherwise wouldn't shop in Sydenham Road to part with their cash here.

No-one says there are too many book shops in Charring cross road, people go there because there are lots of book shops. Or you go to Tottenham Court Road for furniture. Or Crystal Palace due to it's choice of places to eat out. Ask local restaurants here what will help them be more successful and most will say 'more restaurants' (and I have asked!).

People like choice within specific areas. That's why you can buy 8 different types of houmous or dozens of flavours of fizzy drink, not to mention the different brands (which in reality are pretty similar). If Crystal Palace had only one or two good restaurants I wouldn't go there. Which is probably why people from Crystal Palace don't come here.

If Waitrose are thinking of investing in the area it's a very good sign that they see this as a prospering area with a future, surely a good sign for all the shops and businesses here. That's good for everyone.