Which one of you is "darcy" on the east Dulwich forum?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
bigbadwolf

Which one of you is "darcy" on the east Dulwich forum?

Post by bigbadwolf »

Whoever you are, you're doing a cracking job of rubbing their noses in it!

One of darcy's sterling rebuttals to an EDF sneer:

RosieH of the EDF:
Oh my god, darcy, you own, like, a whole tower block...? Bet the lifts still smell of wee though.
Darcy replies:
I think you are showing your complete lack of knowledge of Sydenham Rosie H. The Thorpe Estate is a network of roads with beautiful Edwardian houses. I think you would struggle to find something like it in ED, which always seems like a real mix to me, with council flats, people who can/want to make an effort with their house and those who can't/don't. It's certainly not some middle class oasis.

All I am saying is don't underestimate Sydenham, there is more to it than meets the eye and community spirit is one of them. Which counts for a lot when you live somewhere long-term.

It's not a competition and there are many people over here who couldn't think of anything worse than having to deal with the smugness of ED. Let's face it there are a lot of people paying inflated prices for tiny flats over there, then having kids and thinking "oh shit it's not that great afterall".
Good show, sir!

Personally, I think it's Thomas. But I could be wrong. Oh, and not forgetting the valiant contributions from SalubriousSyddersin.

Go and have a look for yourselves:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum ... 044,page=3
Rachael

Re: Which one of you is "darcy" on the east Dulwich forum?

Post by Rachael »

I moved from ED ten years ago, just as the knit-your-own-organic-yoghurt types moved in. Living in ED, the only part of Sydenham I ever saw was the High Street when I was driving through to Beckenham or Bromley. When we wanted a bigger house and garden and started looking in this area, I was gob-smacked at the fabulous Edwardian houses. They are really beautiful - well proportioned, exquisitely detailed, and, unlike the jerry-built Victorian terraces in ED, built to last. I used to dread doing work to my house in ED because it was so shockingly built, every job entailed expensive remedial work (the lack of foundations was just the start). My Edwardian house in the SE23/SE26 borders is as solid as a rock and has never thrown a nasty surprise at us as we've refurbished it.

So, well done, darcy, couldn't have put it better myself.
michael

Post by michael »

This was all answered by Location, Location, Location. When a couple were looking for a nice flat in East Dulwich they ended up in Forest Hill, proving either that the title of the programme is completely wrong or that Forest Hill and Sydenham are just as good Locations as East Dulwich.

The Forest Hill Society interviewed Lucy from the programme about her views of the area: http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2010/0 ... ation.html

I think what is said about SE23 is almost* as valid to SE26

* :wink:
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Whoever you are, you're doing a cracking job of rubbing their noses in it!
I second that, why are ED so up them selves - do they not remember that they live right next to Peckham? Sydenham has its perks and its downers, and thats what I like about it, not just people who think they are rich because they have big houses (with debt) and their high street is nice. I rather live in Sydenham than be surrounded by idiots (not saying all of them are idiots).
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'm not Darcy! I'm sure I know who SalubriousSyddersin is - he is well known on this forum and a thoroughly good bloke (if sometimes controversial in the past).

The Location episode on Sydenham (referred to in a EDF post - a different one from the one Michael refers to) can be found here - most amusing!
http://www.sydenham.tv/cgi-bin/sydtv_ju ... pYz9cWn5H8

East Dulwich and Sydenham both have their good points as well as negatives, but overall I'm happy living here and I don't get bothered by the occasional smug East Dulwichite - most of whom actually do live in Peckham!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Is it Trawler Man, Thomas?

But, whoever it is, they could do with some support!

Listen up, troops. I propose an expeditionary force be dispatched to the EDF to relieve our brave lads who are taking the fight to our jealous, resentful and impoverished foe. I'll be the Field Marshall/Commander-in-Chief, and you'll be my army.

Basically, go over to the EDF, open up your account (if you don't have one, set one up), and biff those Bourgeoisie belligerents into next week!

Figuratively speaking, you understand.

You have your orders. Now, advance!
stone-penge

Putting the dull in Dulwich

Post by stone-penge »

When I lived in ED about 15 years ago it were nowt but builders pubs, the only decent wine bar was Springers near the hospital, and I got mugged at knife point at the Barclays cash point.
Lets face it ED now represents the high tide of the property bubble for those priced out of Clapham and other parts, when the economic tide is fully out ( and its going out fast) these people are going to find themselves beached hard on the reality of negative equatiy in a dense, uninspiring ,under connected part of town. We need to show them compassion and pity , not enmity.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thomas wrote:The Location episode on Sydenham (referred to in a EDF post - a different one from the one Michael refers to) can be found here - most amusing!
http://www.sydenham.tv/cgi-bin/sydtv_ju ... pYz9cWn5H8
Sadly some snitch^H^H^H^H protector of the nation's IP rights has blocked the video. No point it putting it back elsewhere as they must frequent this area (or even ED?).

Funnily enough living in London nearly 40 years I have only been mugged once - in ED too! I still am very careful when I go that way again. But do enjoy the raid. Great fun if it provokes a counter-attack. August is silly season after all and all the media are quite desperate for any custom ...

Admin
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

when the economic tide is fully out ( and its going out fast) these people are going to find themselves beached hard on the reality of negative equatiy in a dense, uninspiring ,under connected part of town. We need to show them compassion and pity , not enmity.
Quite right, SP. Quite right.

And your charitable inclination is most humbling. When the once prosperous carpet is suddenly dragged from under these unsuspecting homeowners, we must do all that we can to make them feel welcome in the sanctuary that is Sydenham, from the dole-pit that will be Dulwich.

Once the ash has settled and the pitiful, solemn refugee column begins to wind its way through Forest Hill and Sydenham, seeking alms, we mustn't turn them away, we must embrace them.

But with some conditions, naturally.

They must yield to our humble magnanimity. Turning their backs on the extravagance they once revellved in. Abandoning their decadent delis and Costanarmandaleg coffee shops.

Though realistically, they'll have no other choice but to conform. If anything, out of sheer starving desperation.

But if they do resist, we'll take them with force and flame.
bag lady

Post by bag lady »

And make them eat fried chicken?!
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

No, even worse. They'll be the ones flogging it!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

bigbadwolf wrote: Basically, go over to the EDF, open up your account (if you don't have one, set one up), and biff those Bourgeoisie belligerents into next week!

Figuratively speaking, you understand.

You have your orders. Now, advance!
No point, Wolfie. They are all having their 'staycations' in designer gypsy caravans in Cornwall.

W**F
randomv

Post by randomv »

Whoever darcy is,I salute you!

I regularly take a peek at the EDF, especially the Family Room, mainly for entertainment purposes. Someone over there described ED as "gritty and urban". I laughed so much I nearly choked on my fried chicken.