Hot Food Take-away at 5 Sydenham Road?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Hot Food Take-away at 5 Sydenham Road?

Post by Tim Lund »

Notices have just been sent out about this planning proposal, which will need permission for a change of planning use class
The change of use of 5 Sydenham Road SE26 to Hot Food Take-away (Use Class A5), together with the installation of an extract duct to the rear elevation.
This can't be right for the about to be improved Sydenham Road.

More details here http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=60590

and as always
If you would like to comment on this application please send an email to planning@lewisham.gov.uk including the Application Number, your name, address, comment and reason for interest.
simon

Re: Hot Food Take-away at 5 Sydenham Road?

Post by simon »

What is it now exactly?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Mobile phone shop
simon

Post by simon »

That would be the one next to Palace Wines then.
Wouldn't have thought the Hill Top, Seemas, Blue Mountain or Kente, or even Sydenham Kebab would welcome the competition.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

I can't see another grotty grease merchant threatening the profit margins of the businesses you've listed, Simon.

Just the local cholesterol levels.

All joking aside. If this latest addition turns out to be another bleedin' poultry parlour, which I strongly suspect it will, then where does it stop? But more importantly: what does it betray of Sydenham to prospective investment in terms of attracting creative and steady businesses and facilitating a safe enviroment for them to operate in?

The answer is simple.

Anyone scouting the area with a view to setting up a business will assume that Sydenham is slowly being overwhelmed by the plague afflicting so many other highstreets throughout the capital that undeniably attract a criminal element and inadvertently influence the trend in local trade and custom. Which are the cheap ventures that guarantee a safe return on their investment and essentially run themselves by taking advantage of an increasingly lazy populace who are more interested in convenience than quality. Such as fast food outlets with dubious hygiene and constantly shifting management and ownership. Leaving them in no uncertain doubt that they'd be better off setting up shop elsewhere. And who could blame them.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, the ignorant customers who day in and day out gorge themselves on this garbage and fuel the cancer that is in part feeding the decline of inner city London will wake up to what they're facilitating and boycott these social and dietary parasites.

Though sadly, something tells me they won't.

O.K, rant over.
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

With umpteen new residents (a la Greyhound) within in stone's throw, you can't blame the owners for trying. That said, I hope they don't get permission. I'll be lodging an objection. I imagine all those living above the gym will, too.

Why-oh-why can't our shopkeepers never see above the lowest common denominator. In another depressing move, the owners of Taste of Persia have seen fit to convert a window into a make-shift mobile phone booth, complete with a homemade counter. Really, the whole road is beginning to look more like the back streets of Luxor - minus the sand, heat, tourists............
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

well....there's clearly a demand for chicken shops...hence why the high street can support several.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

What are the sort of grounds for objection that might influence the Council's decision? I presume that simply saying that it wouldn't be upmarket enough might not be enough!
Willy

Post by Willy »

Maybe the amount of litter from these places that gets dumped in the street and the discarded chicken bones attracting vermin (both 2 and 4 legged) is grounds for an objection?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

I suggest some valid Planning objections as follows-

Noise and disturbance from " Customers " congragating. ( As oposed to A3 which is a restautant/ cafe, A5 is hot food takeaway only.)

Impact on Residential properties in the immediate area with more under constuction.

Visual Amenity ( the extract plant that will need to be provided are particularly unsightly)

Nidor ( is the stale cooking smell from meat )

Lewishams own policies that effect this application also demands that the applicant MUST demonstrate that

" Adequate bulk refuse facilities are provided for storage and collection of litter and refuse by the business and its customers"

The applicant must also demonstrate that the proposal WILL NOT

" Harm the retail character, attractivness, vitality and viability of the shopping centre including reducing the percentage of A1 units ".

Hope these may help
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I recall a time when there were NO take aways on Sydenham Rd, except one fish and chip shop.

Have the good burghers on SE 26 forgotten to cook like their parents and grandparents , who were also a good bit lighter.

I would not include Kente in other establishments mentioned. It is a class or two above the others
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Which shop sells the " Good Burghers " ? I thought it was just Chicken ?
poppy

Post by poppy »

I have been meaning to say something about Taste of Persia, surely that is against conservation area rules, anyone know?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Poppy should this not be Taste of Iran , you are living in the past.
Do they offer wife stoning and other Iranian customs