Crystal Palace Museum - new website!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Falkor

Crystal Palace Museum - new website!

Post by Falkor »

In case you're unaware, the Crystal Palace Museum have launched a new website as of a couple of weeks ago. With a nice selection of rare photos, including 6 in colour (the only original colour photos ever to be taken inside the palace), it's far superior to the Crystal Palace Foundation's website (in my humble opinion). Anyway, check it out...
www.crystalpalacemuseum.org.uk
leaf

Post by leaf »

falkor
as ever,a wonderful contribution to the syd forum from you!

the photos are amazing,i have known about the crystal palace all of my life,my grandfather told me of the night it burned down he saw it from his home in bermondsey.

i can only imagine what a wonderful place it would have been to visit and that loop de loop!

thanks

leaf
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Falkor,

Wonderful. That has been truly marvelous to look at. Thank you. What a shame it was destroyed.

Leaf,

My Nan saw the fire too. She lived in Penge with her parents and was a young girl at the time and said it was the most spectacular thing (the fire that is!) that she had ever seen. She says that "everyone from round and about 'ran' up to the palace to watch the fire". How strange to say that the fire that burnt down the Crystal Palace was 'spectacular'. I suppose to a young kid, it probably was...... :shock:
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

I realise the palace went up in an inferno but it's hard to believe there are so few artifacts left.

Is it right that the pile of rubble now on the actual palace site is blitz debris? If so, I'd love to spent the afternoon snooping with a metal detector and spade!

W. Wonder (OK, in light of other threads on the site - that's the cat's name, mine's Sean)
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Falkor - what a fantastic site! Congratulations!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

annabel mclaren wrote:Falkor - what a fantastic site! Congratulations!
It is--really! I always wanted to see those colour photos...
lemonade

Pics

Post by lemonade »

Hello Falkor
Fanbloodytastic! A real insight into the history of the area through the years. You have provided some very interesting infomation. Superb collection of photos!
The Drain you referred to at your 1st house in Sydenham:- I could not see fully down it in the photograph but it looks like a Mains Water Valve.
The aperture of the square hole should have a cast iron hinged cover, circa 1900. Later models had a galvanised steel square lid, circa 1950.
How old is the house?
Annie

Post by Annie »

Loved the pictures x :D
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

The Drain you referred to at your 1st house in Sydenham:- I could not see fully down it in the photograph but it looks like a Mains Water Valve.
The aperture of the square hole should have a cast iron hinged cover, circa 1900. Later models had a galvanised steel square lid, circa 1950.
How old is the house?
Oh right... that house was built in c1958. Never seen that type of drain before.. It was in a lot better condition when I lived there.