NatWest hostel, Lawrie Park Road

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
jeffkemp

NatWest hostel, Lawrie Park Road

Post by jeffkemp »

Does any one who lived at Grace Lodge, the NatWest hostel, still live in Sydenham?

I havn't been back since I moved out in about 1980.

Jeff
:D
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

This is what it looks like now, redeveloped somewhat.

Photo 5

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/se26_lawrie_park_road.html
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Used to live there myself Jeff, but didnt move in until 1985.

I may still know some of the people we overlapped with, as I keep in touch with some of them.

I now live about 50 yards away (although I have been far and wide before actually settling here)
David Pulman

Post by David Pulman »

Gosh, Hello Jeff, I lived in the Nat West Hostel at Lawrie Park Road from around May 1975 until about May 1978 ( think).

I don't live in Sydenham and haven't since I left, however, have fond memories of those days! I first moved in after starting work at 95 Tottenham Court Road Branch, having come up from Ashburton in Devon, where my father was manager of the local Nat West Branch. I was placed in the Rembrandt Hotel, South Kensington to start with (opposite the V&A museum). When I first moved in I shared a room with a guy called Steve (forgotten surname) and then another friend called Trevor Middleton. Friends at that time included: Peter Lobb (was best man at my first wedding) who later lived in a flat a little further up Lawrie Park Road for a while. Peter still works for Nat West and is a Regional Manager (at least) up North! Max Boulton was another close friend I still keep in touch with too. Keith Wyatt, Terry Bee, Chris ?, Steve Teale, and so many faces whose names I can't now remember!

We all of course drank at the Greyhound (manager was Gerry) and often visited Crystal Palace Park (sometimes at night after climbing over the walls after closing time, swimming out to untie a few rowing boats and rowing around the lake at about 1am in the morning!!!

I left Nat West for an aviation career in November 1979.

I would love to hear from anyone who may have lived at Grace Lodge, Lawrie Park Road when it was a hostel for single male bank clerks (we used to sneak a few girls in occasionally - but it was probably not allowed as far as I recall!)

Would be great to set up a web site for ex Nat West residents.

David Pulman

pilotdavid@hotmail.co.uk
SteveSnelson

Re: NatWest hostel, Lawrie Park Road

Post by SteveSnelson »

I lived there from November 1985 to April 1987. Norma Deloo and Mary were the welfare officers - can't remember the name of the nutter - sorry, catering manager - who used to run the kitchen? Mike something? He flatly refused to explain why the food was so crap at every committee meeting we had, blaming the limited budget despite issues about the food always being at the top of the agenda! He was like something from Dad's Army, lol!!

My friends included Andy Hunter Rowe, Mairead Lynch, Andy Park, Don Brennan, Warrington Jo who used to date Andy West (she'll kill me for forgetting her surname lol!) and Sarah aka "Spreader" Bull.

We all used the Greyhound as well - Friday nights in particular. You always knew it was past 11pm on Fridays because Jim behind the bar would always play "Go Now" by the Moody Blues!

Anyone remember Ross from the Hostel? Essex lad, worked in the Nat West Tower? He used to work behind the bar at the Greyhound? He moved to Hammersmith and I lost touch with him - I'd love to catch up with him again!
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hi Steve

I was there at the same time as you, and remember all the names you mentioned.

I'd love to know what happened to a few of the people who were in there - they were great times.

There were some names I'd love to know where they are now; Steve Brown, Chris Kraus, Chris Epker, Steve Dare, to name just a few.

I was big mates with Westy, who sadly died about 5 years ago, of an angina related problem.

I left the city years ago, but still live in Sydenham.

Do you keep in touch with anyone? Still with NatWest? Send me a PM.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

The catering guy was Andy something, by the way.

I remember the big fry ups on a Saturday, to soak up the Tennents from the night before, having started in Threads, and always ended up in the Greyhound.
Joss Mullinger

Post by Joss Mullinger »

Hello folks - great to find some people who remember the Nat West hostel. I was earlier than most of you, I was there from 1971 to 1973. I remember the Manager's name was Mr Gammons. When I first arrived we still had waitress service in the Dining Room but that changed to a buffet servery type meals while I was there. Does anyone have a photo of the building please? I have a photo somewhere taken out of my window showing the grounds & towards the railway line but no shots of the actual building. Talking of shots, I was shot at with an air rifle on one occasion from one of the neighbouring gardens, the pellet came through the open window but luckily missed me!! Happy days!
markbie@aol.com

Post by markbie@aol.com »

Was there 1980 1981
Last edited by markbie@aol.com on 21 Nov 2021 19:59, edited 2 times in total.
shirts278

Post by shirts278 »

Ha ha ha. This brings back memories. Used to have security bloke sitting behind the front doors, unless of course, he was on his rounds....
Cannot remember the Greyhound. We used to do our drinking at the Golden Lion at the bottom of the high street. Music every night of the week. Robbie Vincent every Friday night. Peter Judge every Sunday night...
So close to Crystal Palace aerial, you could pick up what was on the telly, on your radio. Little slips of paper billing you for meals and rooms each month (I think).....
Happy days.....